Home Forums Bike Forum PSA for the bike Packers – sub 800g tent for £148

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • PSA for the bike Packers – sub 800g tent for £148
  • monkeyboyjc

But of a nich PSA for the lightweight bike Packers.

Millets have the Phoxx 1 ultralight on a SAVE20 discount code bringing it down to £148 with free postage. By far the cheapest sub 1kg (1 person) tent, can be packed down to 715g without the accessories.

Reviews have been good so may be worth a punt for a lightweight kit pack.

https://www.millets.co.uk/19611429/oex-phoxx-i-ultralight-tent–19611429

winston
    Free Member

And as a slight hi-jack the same site has the Jamis Dakar Full Suss down from £1400 to £799. Only 10sp and needs a dropper but looks a pretty solid entry level full sus and I think the frame is worth upgrading down the line….

Ewan
    Free Member
    monkeyboyjc

@ewan use code EXTRA20 at checkout to get it down to £148

(Sorry, I put the wrong code in my op)

hardtailonly

404 page not found error for me.

Ewan
    Free Member

Use the link i shared, the original one doesn’t work.

Noted on the extra20 code!

monkeyboyjc

Yeah I cant get the link to work for some.reason but if you do a search for Oex phoxx ultralight it’ll come up.

7.5% cash back on Quidco too for those that use it.

BoardinBob

Here’s a 15% discount code for Millets. (MODS: I earn nothing from this, i just have access to some discount codes)

HSDLP94

intheborders
    Free Member

Looks a lot like my Vango Helium, just 10-15cm less internal height.

bforbertie

Excellent PSA, thanks  monkeyboyjc. Will have to justify to the wife later…..

monkeyboyjc

The tail pole design is not quite as good on the Phoxx as it is on the Vango Helium ul1 from what I’ve seen of the reviews – if your pitching the Phoxx in open windy spaces it allows a fair bit of noise and flap in high winds. The Phoxx (like all lightweight tents) as down sides to it’s light weight I guess. The super light weight material also lets in/out alot of light so isnt the best for privacy or lazy mornings.

On the upside, it’s very light weight and a good bit cheaper than the next 800g tent.

Mounty_73

A nice tent but why does it have to be blue?  It doesn’t exactly blend in with the environment.

scaredypants

surely an 800g tent must be bloody flimsy ?

matt_outandabout

A) I bet it’s more than 800g
    B) yes scaredypants, any light tent like that needs care when pitching and the extremes of weather. All tents are a compromise of performance, weight and cost.

monkeyboyjc

I bet it’s more than 800g

I’ll weigh it when it turns up, but the reviews I’ve seen and read suggest the weight is correct.

surely an 800g tent must be bloody flimsy

Personally I’d only be using it in good weather and ideally in sheltered spots or campsites.

A nice tent but why does it have to be blue

Completely agree, but unfortunately most sub 1kg tents are white, so blue is a good compromise and actually at night would/should work fine for concealment.

thelawman

My Vaude Power Tokee UL (stupid name, I know) is a very discreet light green. Not a lot heavier at about 950g, but longer available in the shops.

monkeyboyjc

Was also £225 back in 2012 and is 15cm shorter in height?

thelawman

Yeah, I’m not saying it’s a like-for-like alternative to that  OEX, I was just making an observation about the colour. The OEX looks a good deal for what it is

MrSparkle

The ‘standard’ Phoxx1 is also a good deal,  still not exactly heavy and maybe a bit more robust. I got one from Go Outdoors for £50 about 18 months ago and they are not much more now. Weight is 1.5kg.

faustus

Saw this tent in my local Go Outdoors and it seems pretty decent, but the inner groundsheet is very thin and a fairly low hydrostatic head. I’d be getting the footprint for it to prevent damage to this bit, if you haven’t already.

As with many UL tents, this is one of the compromises, and also an added cost/weight consideration. Still, excellent value though.

matt_outandabout

Personally I’d only be using it in good weather and ideally in sheltered spots or campsites.

My 900g plus some proper pegs which actually hold in upland soil has taken some bumpy weather over the years. I do take care to hide behind walls or edge of trees, I’m not a summit camper for the ‘tube numpty.
    I reckon it’s 1kg all in, using an old offcut of groundsheet instead of a bag and which protects the flimsy groundsheet.
    And mine cost £60 ?

monkeyboyjc

Turned up today – real world weight of 790g without accessory packaging and bag or 806g with the bag…

matt_outandabout

Good effort.

What are the pegs like?

monkeyboyjc

15cm small aluminium jobbies – come with their own little roll top (money bag style) bag. Look like they’ll be fine tbh.

matt_outandabout

That’s better than my Alpkit Delta – it came with titanium crochet hooks…useless!

garage-dweller

I found the standard Phoxx1 quite “cosy” when I borrowed my son’s (5’10 and broad shouldered).  Somehow I managed to tap the layers together and end up with a fairly rapid draw of water into the inner.  Pretty sure there was some user error involved but a practice pitch would be worthwhile I reckon.

That said it was breezy and it stood up well.

monkeyboyjc

Just as a follow up, Go Outdoors have the ground sheet for the small vestibule with a 15% off code EXTRA15 (essentially get the postage free)

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/19611434/oex-phoxx-ul-groundsheet-19611434

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.