Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • PSA Dakine Hot Laps hip pack
  • Tracey

We have got a couple of the 1L ones and work great when you don’t want to carry a big pack

https://www.stifmtb.com/search?sort_by=price-ascending&q=hot+laps

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Thank you! Been thinking about one of those for a while.
    I’ve got a gripper at the moment and wasn’t too impressed with it. I think the bumbag would be better.

ads678

Quite a few reviews on the Dakine website say that the waist band is really small. Barely fits a 34″ waist with just a T-shirt. Be intersted to know if this is true?

sandwicheater

Great step into the fanny pack territory, still use my one for wee little trips.

@ads678
    , i’ve a 34″ waist and reckon i’d need a fair few pies before i’d struggle.

finbar
    Free Member

Can you fit a bottle in the 1L?

Tracey

Plenty left on the straps we have got, adjusts easily between different waists, used by someone in our house who still squeezes into some 34″.

The reviews are probably from people that think or wish they were a 34″ 😄

You could at a push get a bottle in to the mesh on the Stealth V2. Not tried it as my bottle always go’s in the cage

ads678

cool, I’m a 36″ waist, and trying to go down….but might give it a go. Cheers.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Quite a few reviews on the Dakine website say that the waist band is really small. Barely fits a 34″ waist with just a T-shirt. Be intersted to know if this is true?

Not on my hotlaps 5. Im 34 waist and theres loads left.

fenboy

I have a 1L one and I’m a 36 inch waist they are really not long straps…. i was actually taken aback by the lack of length, it just fits but at the end of the adjustment so wouldn’t want to be larger round the middle.

For ref i am not a chubber but well proportioned 6’3″ bloke!

Tracey

This may or may not help from the Dakine site 1L

61 cubic inches [ 1L ]
    7 x 5 x 3 [ 17 x 11 x 7cm ]
    0.4 lbs. [ 0.2 kg ]
    Waist Belt Length: 42″

Stealth

5.5 x 2.5 x 2 [ 14 x 6 x 5cm ]
    0.1 lbs [ 0.07 kg ]
    Waist Belt Length: 42″

vinnyeh

while we’re here, Wiggle have this Camelbak 2l hip pack which also holds a bottle for £20.
    Only comes in one colour at that price though. Comes with a bottle with the dirt cover as well.

Camelbak Podium Flow Waist Pack

stingmered

I got a 1l one for Christmas, great bit of kit. 30-32″ waist, wouldn’t have thought it would be good for above 36″, especially if you’ve got a couple of layers on.

sparkyrhino

Never a problem using a hotlaps, plenty of strap to tighten even wearing layers, 36” waist for perspective, and need to iron my t shirts over a wok

stingmered

need to iron my t shirts over a wok

Actual Lols, never heard this before!

feed

while we’re here, Wiggle have this Camelbak 2l hip pack which also holds a bottle for £20.
    Only comes in one colour at that price though. Comes with a bottle with the dirt cover as well.

Nice PSA, ordered, good timing, zip on my old bontrager one died at the weekend and it was on it’s last legs anyway.

Saccades
    Free Member

Cheers Vinnieh, one for me and one for the nipper.

BillOddie

I think they might have changed the strap lengths as my Hot Laps 5L has loads of spare strap and I’m a 34in waist.

But it’s the one from a couple of years back without extra pocket on the side.

Tracey

If it helps all the doubters I have just measured a new one that we bought our daughter for Christmas and the waist band strap, fully extended, is 42″ as per the Dakine site.

hooli

My told myself I’d stop opening PSA threads as I keep buying stuff I probably don’t need. Well, here I am and I have one on order. Cheers for the PSA.

tallmart10

I bought a Hotlaps Stealth mid-summer last year. And yes, the waistband is just big enough, but only just. I am 34″ waist.

stingmered

By the way, the 1l ones have been £24/25 all over the place for a few months now.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just picked up the Camelbak one, cheers for the heads up.

ads678

Oh well, seems the reviews were right. I can’t even do it up let alone it being a bit tight….

All my jeans and trousers are 36″ waist, bloody rediculous that they don’t extend enough for a pretty common waist size. The one I got only had an extending strap on one side, which suprised me a bit. Oh well, return it is then.

jairaj

Ahh that’s annoying. I have the smaller size Dakine bum bag and the strap is more than big enough for me and I’m a little bit on the chubby side. Was hoping to get the larger sized one for longer rides but not it will fit me after recent comments.

confused58

Thanks for the PSA, just got a Stif branded 5l pack and the strap is fine for my catering wok/40″ waist!
    Surprised to hear about the smaller sizes as I have earlier versions of the 1L and stealth and the also fit fine.

Tracey

Not sure about others bag sizes but our straps for the 1l measure 42″ Might be worth checking with Stif to see if they can check a few

feed

Thanks @Vinnyeh, One of the best PSA for a while (that actually delivered), glad I ordered two. Arrived earlier today. The hip bag is a quality piece of kit but the bottle is outstanding. Back to only 11% discount so may have been a mistake from Wiggle but no complaints from me 🙂 .

kimbers

That camelback hip back is absolutely brilliant (and the bottle is great too)
    Very stable, have a mini pump, tool roll and tube in there, plus keys & phone.
    Can fit a packed down jacket or a water bottle in the bottle holder (which I do dependong on weather)
    Strap has plenty of (very useable) adjustment for the largest of lockdown waistlines

£25 here

https://www.merlincycles.com/camelbak-podium-flow-belt-137759.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=161539&source=PHG

Saccades
    Free Member

Never thought of that kimbers (jacket stored in bottle), yoink for that idea.

@Feed
    you’d better tell me when your on the trails so we don’t match, I’ve bought two too.

ajantom

Yeo, the CB pack is great.
    Just the right size for a medium ride (3-4hrs) and they’re my favourite bottles too.

On their own the bottles are £8-9 so, that means the hip pack was only £10 😁

feed

@Feed
    you’d better tell me when your on the trails so we don’t match, I’ve bought two too.

No worries Ian, nothing worse than matching gear 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Gah, I only popped in out of curiosity and now I’ve spent £25 on another fanny pack.

Cheers for the link Kimbers. Should be spot-on for my short local rides (no bottle cages on my Oranges).

continuity
    Free Member

I keep umming and arring about that stealth hip pack (or even the camelbak simply to get the bottle), but really; what value does this add over a bottle cage and jersey pockets? You can’t use both as a hip pack sits in the same place as jersey pockets. I thought the point of a smaller pack was to reduce weight on the body; so why put 750ml of water onto the back?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

what value does this add over a bottle cage and jersey pockets?

You can now wear any top you like…or your cycle specific STW plaid shirt (with patented hidden sunglasses cleaner) but which doesn’t have rear pockets 🙂

I’m looking at the 5L one with a 2L bladder. Anyone got experience of them? I guess not overfilling is the key?

chakaping
    Free Member

In reply to continuity…

I can’t fit a bottle cage.

If I could, I might still like two bottles.

I don’t wear roadie jerseys on my MTB. Nor do a lot of other MTBers.

You can just leave tools & stuff in a pack, and not have to keep swapping them between pockets.

I wouldn’t want an MTB mini-pump in a rear jersey pocket.

HTH

continuity
    Free Member

If you wanted two bottles, wouldn’t you want more capacity than 2L and therefore bigger than a tiny pack?

Couldn’t you just attach your immediate tools / pump to the bike? Then the weight would be lower and CofG lower?

Then again, I’ve never understood why people don’t wear jerseys on a mountain bike. They aren’t road specific, they wick sweat, you move faster for less effort, you have a built in hip pack…

feed

I keep umming and arring about that stealth hip pack (or even the camelbak simply to get the bottle), but really; what value does this add over a bottle cage and jersey pockets?

If your Setup works for you then no need for one.

I also have a water bottle on the bike but one bottle isn’t enough for me. I also don’t like carrying tools in pockets.

@slowpuncheur
    , I also have the Camelbak one with water bladder which I use for bigger spins. Much prefer a smaller hip bag though. The bigger one (imho) doesn’t give much advantage over a backpack.

chakaping
    Free Member

Where’s that old man shouts at cloud meme when you need it?

continuity
    Free Member

@chakaping depressingly, I’m likely a lot younger than the average t5 drivin’ STW user!

Saccades
    Free Member

I’m with chapaking.

I’m currently using a terra Nova thing that’s smaller (carries a co2 inflator and bottle only).

Been perfect for my spins, under 3 hours and near enough to home/car that I can walk back if it’s anything a co2 can’t fix. Phone and car blipper in shorts pocket.

Hoping that the camelbac will mean nothing in the pockets and I can pack a jic gilet in there to extend when I can use it. I only wear xc/roadie tops when I’m racing xc, rest of the time it’s baggier MTB tops (only the older ones have pockets and I don’t trust them on rough ground). The roadie wicking and lack of flapping is pretty useless on a slow moving MTB that’s only moving at speed for half the time (if at all).

I have a full pack for adventure spins, but it’s so nice just being out without a load of shite with me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘PSA Dakine Hot Laps hip pack’ is closed to new replies.