Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • PSA: Chromebook £120
  • Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/14874/Acer-Chromebook-Aspire-C720-2GB-16GB-SSD-11-6-inch/

Grade A refurb, Acer C720 for £120.

I’ve bought a couple of refurbs from MC over the years and they’ve all been excellent condition (box fresh really).

Looking for something fast, light and cheap? Have you embraced the evil google overlords? Then these are for you.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice one Stoner ….. already got 3 in the house but may have to get another at that price.

*Now where’s that trigger on the internets I’m meant to pull?

firestarter
    Free Member

As a complete computer biff at the tisk of sounding a dumbass 😉 could i run garmin connect in one of these and upload my edge? And would ut run memorymap ok too ? My current laptop is very slow and ive deleted loads from it so possibly looking for a faster machine

I only use my laptop for memory map, garmin uploads / route planning and deezer/Googleplay music really

Stoner
    Free Member

no.

Garmin really is a luddite company. So far behind the times. But unfortunately the “goto gps” manufacturer. Making over priced, poorly implemented junk IMO.

Phew. I needed that.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Google wont work with Garmin so I plug in and upload by file, works fine then.

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW. you can use your Garmin with it but not with Garmin Connect – you’d have to upload the file manually just like if it was a USB drive. It will work though.

Stoner
    Free Member

Google wont work with Garmin

Ahem. Garmin wont work with Google. 🙂

OR rather Garmin wont work with web based apps.

firestarter
    Free Member

Lol i know stoner my phone seems to work better tbh too but i do like the routing options on the edge touring.

But its a possibility using as you say carl as there seems to be an android play store garmin app too

Will have to investigate further. But i think my memorymap will be dead in the water *another outdated company* but i have full uk maps so useful tbh

I should really investigate sorting my laptop further tbh

sturdylad
    Free Member

We are just about to start shopping for a new laptop for our eldest (12 y/o)
    Would a chromebook be suitable for all the usual homework/research type tasks?

We don’t do a lot of printing at home and would probably buy a new one if we did so we would aim to get one compatible with google cloud printing whatever that is.

Any advice welcome.

TIA

nemesis
    Free Member

It really depends on what the homework is – some schools will prescribe excel, word, etc and that’s not going to be ideal (though MS Office 360 actually works well on a chromebook IME).

Printing is fine so long as you get a compatible printer or have a windows computer at home connected to a printer in which case you can install cloud print on that.

For research it’ll be fine though.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

it’s totes amazeballs already happening!

sturdy – chromebook is ideal. The best schools are of course going over to complete google platform/google education and school gdrives etc already 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

My two 13y/o girls both got a Chromebook (in white) for their birthday – they love them.

It really depends on what the homework is – some schools will prescribe excel, word, etc and that’s not going to be ideal

Hmmm let’s see
    1) do work in Google Docs/Sheets (from any computer/tablet/phone even)
    2) download as Word/Excel file
    3) er, nothing as you’re done.

oh, and if you absolutely have to work on a desktop for some reason you can simply connect using chrome remote desktop (like I did a couple of weeks ago from the back of a boat in the Croatian islands using a 3g mifi. 8)

nemesis
    Free Member

I have a chromebook, I think it’s great for what I got it for but only a fanboi will deny that it has it’s limitations compared to a ‘proper’ laptop.

Docs/sheets/etc are great for simple stuff. They’re not a match for excel if I wanted to use it for some of the things I do at work (I don’t so it’s not a problem). I also find that PDFs created in Docs, don’t always work well for everyone (formatting) so CVs and the like require using Word IME. I similarly found that docs downloaded in word format didn’t quite work – of course, it may have improved and the beauty of the chromebook is that when it does, the update will happen straight away for everyone using one.

Those may well not be an issue. Or they might be and then it’ll be a hassle.

Similarly, I know people who got chromebooks for their kids and found that not being able to install a particular application was a problem. Again a non-issue for many but not all so it pays to check and be aware of the potential for issues before buying.

And I agree that RDP is great but IME non-techy people often find it confusing (though I expect kids would be fine…) and it’s only any good if you do have a PC to connect to.

Stoner
    Free Member

Yes I’m a fanboi, but I’m going to pull you up right there nemesis:

They’re not a match for excel if I wanted to use it for some of the things I do at work (I don’t so it’s not a problem).

I built my career on being an annoying excel “superuser”. The jump to google sheets in the early years, for me, was v painful. But over the years since, GSheets functionality is now 95% of that of Excel. Or rather 100% of the needs of 99% of the people who use Excel.

There’s even a complete suite of statistical addins much like the XLAddin. Yes, I cant use VBA to do stuff any more, but I wont cry over that 🙂

I still build large, complex models in GSheets but now dont have to worry about back ups, version control, sharing, emailing etc,.

And I agree that RDP is great but IME non-techy people often find it confusing (though I expect kids would be fine…) and it’s only any good if you do have a PC to connect to.

Im luck that my brother allocated a slice of one of his VMs for me. Its a back up to handle any silly big/over complicated Excel files I might be sent by clients. Not needed it yet.

nemesis
    Free Member

But that was exactly what I said – it’s fine for many/most but that’s no consolation if it doesn’t do something you need. Or if you don’t have a brother with a spare VM… 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

given how powerful gsheets has become, perhaps it’s better to frame it’s limitations by what it can’t do. 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

Possibly but there are still limitations and as I said, the lack of installing apps can be an issue.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got a Chromebook which will need replacing shortly as it’s showing signs of wear and tear – whilst I agree about much of what Stoner said about Garmin I have few issues using my 510 and GpsMap62 on the Chromebook. Fewer still if I set them auto upload from my connected phone

Not tried memory map though but Viewranger works OK and the OS thing isn’t any worse than the PC version although that’s not a glowing recommendation by any means.

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, my chromebook has been bombproof. My son pushed it down the stairs by mistake and it bounced/spun the whole way down and then hit the wall leaving a dent in the plaster. Not a mark on the chromebook… (HP 14)

allthepies
    Free Member

But you can use google script 🙂

deepreddave
    Free Member

They seem to sell quite cheaply on ebay too if you prefer to take more of a gamble.

Stoner
    Free Member

Have you ever tried google scripts ATP?

I cant even work out where to start. It’s v alien to me.

allthepies
    Free Member

Not seriously.

There’s some tutorials/examples here -> http://www.google.com/script/start/

Custom spready functions -> https://developers.google.com/apps-script/guides/sheets/functions

matt_outandabout

Have you ever tried google scripts ATP?

I cant even work out where to start. It’s v alien to me.
    I have been playing this week. As a non coder/uber geek, it makes vague sense to me. There are also a pile of library scripts to get things going.
    I have been using it to make a Google fusion map update live from a Google form.

chvck
    Free Member

I like my chromebook (toshiba), it’s pretty light generally quite quiet (when the fans start up it sounds like it’s taxiing) . Great for browsing. I do find a few issues though, e.g. chromecast – it’s great unless you want to browse at the same time at which point the video can get a bit jittery (unless it’s a site that chromecast can make it’s own connections to…).
    Running ubuntu in a chroot on it is pretty rad too, especially with the chrome addons that let you copy & paste been OS’s. However it can’t really handle anything remotely heavy in it, android studio struggles but it’s no surprise really…

irc

Or for the same money an Asus netbook running windows. 12hr battery life. £125 refurbished or £160 new on Amazon.

Gets a good review.

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eeebook-x205ta

geoffj

[video]http://youtu.be/-y2mqoDjQXI[/video]

😛

Edit: I do actually rate chrome books and that vid is very tongue in cheek

aracer
    Free Member

Nice, but I’m just busy setting up a Lenovo x121e I got on ebay for £100 – same size as one of those, but an i3 and W7 (so I can upload my Garmin, and lots of other stuff you can’t do on a Chromebook which I often to get up to – am hugely looking forward to having a native Windows machine as my primary again after a few months of only having a VM – currently on Fedora).

We’ve thought about it (our email is now via Gmail, which is a huge amount better than the crappy system they used before), but I’m loathe to push it as I still have concerns about the privacy of data, and what country it gets stored in! Instead I’ve agreed (almost enthusiastically 😯 ) that Macbooks (refurb ones, a lot cheaper than normal price) make financial sense to replace the Windows laptops.

Stoner
    Free Member

heathen.

so your mail is on google servers, but you spite yourself with satan’s hardware for “privacy” reasons? 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Well I did wonder about the e-mail, but then I’d never rely on e-mail being confidential if you don’t encrypt, whatever servers you use – I certainly wouldn’t have relied on it with the previous system (trying to remember what it was called, but must have purged all memories of the hellish thing)

Bez

Thinkpads? “Satan’s hardware”? OK, the X121’s got a Wrong Keyboard, and a Right Keyboard is half the point of having a Thinkpad, but still…

(Sitting next to four Thinkpads here, total cost under £300. Love ’em.)

Stoner
    Free Member

Macbooks

aracer
    Free Member

Wrong Keyboard?

Sadly the Macbooks will be replacing Thinkpads.

Bez

I may be slightly obsessed with having PgUp/PgDn/Home/End/Delete in their rightful places 🙂

Thinkpad keyboard plus Linux compose keys is just joy. One flaw: I wish the Fn/Ctrl keys were the other way round. But I can live with that.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah – you get used to it – it’s replacing an X100e with similar layout. All KBs on 11″ machines have compromises, and otherwise it’s still far better than most of them.

There is a patch to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys (though you get used to that as well – I tend to hit the wrong one on a conventional keyboard).

<apologies for the Lenovo thread hijack>

Bez

11″ is a bit wee for me. I replaced my netbooks with X60/X61s. Very similar size (ok, apart from the 9″ one I had first), but light years apart in terms of ease of input. Only now moving over to an X200s…

aracer
    Free Member

I also have an X200 here, and there’s barely any difference in width (KB, screen or case), though all a bit taller/deeper, and the X200 does somehow manage to fit in a normal KB layout.

surfer
    Free Member

Big fan of Chromebooks and they have some advantages, speed of boot up and battery life being 2.
    Given the limitation of web based Office apps and the fact that it wont work well (obviously) with Onedrive means it is becoming more limiting for me however.
    The falling price of low end laptops make full fat operating systems still attractive and given the fact that there will be limitations for almost every user really means that Chromebooks are less attractive.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Chromebook £120’ is closed to new replies.