• This topic has 100 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • PSA: Cheap Amazon Echo Dot for Sonos owners
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Interestingly I see that the Dot reduces the volume of the sonos for a few seconds whenever it hears its name – even if it didn’t initiate whatever is playing on the Sonos.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I have the echo dot only and its only correct to the sonos via wi-fi. Only got it yesterday. When I first asked it to play music it said it was using Amazon (I have prime), then I authorised Spotify and made it he preference. So I’m sure when i ask for something its now using Spotify.

docrobster
    Free Member

Reset hole for paper clip is in the middle on top.
    Re Sonos Spotify thing. I’ve set Spotify up as default music service and when I say “Alexa, play let them eat chaos by Kate tempest” she says “playing let them eat chaos by Kate tempest on spotify” (through a portable speaker)
    I haven’t asked her to “play ok computer by Radiohead in the dining room” (ie a Sonos zone) yet. Will try it and see what happens.

sadexpunk

Reset hole for paper clip is in the middle on top.

thanks mate, bit late now tho, its all packaged up. ill just have to trust sharky not to say “alexa, transfer sadexpunks bank account to mine” 😉

stevemorg2

Cant get it to play through my Sonos Play 1 – I’ve read the instructions but nothing – any suggestions?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are NO SUGGESTIONS!

😆

From the Sonos support article Setting Up Amazon Alexa on Sonos:

stevemorg2

OK – I’m now even more confused – others have Alexa controlling Spotify through their Sonos – how are they doing it?

Alphabet

I thought mine was working with Spotify & Sonos but it’s not working this evening so perhaps I got it wrong. I can only play Spotify on my Dot as it just keeps saying ‘I can’t find songs by xxxx’ if I ask for it to play an artist on a Sonos. Hopefully they’ll have it sorted soon.

I can control the volume and stop and start what’s already playing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Alexa will play songs from Spotify through her own speakers (which is acceptable on the big echo, but the sound on the dot is no better than a little bluetooth speaker) and she can do various shizzle on the Sonos (radio, songs from Amazon music, etc.). She turns the bloody sound down on Sonos (even if it’s playing something I’ve put on myself from Spotify) when she’s asked to do something, but she can’t frickin’ play songs from Spotify through it. Bleedin’ ridiculous that they’d all push the “LOOK ALEXA CAN CONTROL YOUR SONOS” line without it being able to play from the most used streaming service out there. But that’s tech these days – everything seems to get released before it’s properly ready. Anyway, they’re working on it, a solution will be here soon I reckon.

docrobster
    Free Member

So if I say “Alexa play the Rolling Stones in the dining room” it plays their stuff from amazon music. Couldn’t find arctic monkeys or Radiohead though so no good to me. I’ve cancelled the amazon prime free trial I started to get next day delivery after it took 2 days to get here so I presume amazon music will disappear in a month.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes, and with Prime, you only get an limited choice of music – think you’d have to go Amazon music unlimited which is another £7.99 (prime) per month or £9.99 for non-prime.

siwhite
    Free Member

OK – I’m now even more confused – others have Alexa controlling Spotify through their Sonos – how are they doing it?

Have you enabled the Sonos ‘skill’ through the app?

docrobster
    Free Member

Wonder if amazon are being slow adding full Spotify Sonos integration in order to tempt a few people to sign up to their music service rather than Spotify in the short term

AlwaysHorizontal
    Free Member

Groupon had a three month free code for Amazon music – just have to remember to cancel it in January to stop the auto renewal. Hopefully by then Deezer will have got their s##t together so I can use my premium account via Alexa/Sonos.

frogstomp

It’s a Sonos issue (i.e. their development of the Alexa skill) rather than Amazon.. although that’s not to say there isn’t the possibility of a little collusion.

As mentioned above, if you start Spotify / Deezer on Sonos using your phone etc. you should be able to use Alexa to pause/play/skip, just not pick a particular song etc. yet..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Anyone got their dot to work with a fire stick? Can’t seem to get it to recognise the stick even though it shows up in the Alexa app. And I can get the fire stick to do automation stuff via the dot. Puzzling.

windyg
    Free Member

Just got around to setting my Dot up, all fine expect it will play music easily when asked however once playing it doesn’t hear anything else after that i have to shout loud at it or walk right up to it which seem to defeat the object, anybody else had the same?

4130s0ul
    Free Member

If anyone wants an unused Echo Dot for £25 drop me an email, I bought mine off the back of the Sonos deal but have no real use for it

Alphabet

4130s0ul I’ll have it for £25. Email on the way.

lowey

After a week of messing around with it, the only thing me and my daughters have found any use for it, is telling it to fart.

It really does have an extensive library of fart recordings.

bigG
    Free Member

Had an email from sonos today to say that Alexa now works with Spotify premium so hopefully I’ll have something useful to use my echo dot for.

Viewing 21 posts - 81 through 101 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Cheap Amazon Echo Dot for Sonos owners’ is closed to new replies.