Home Forums Chat Forum PSA – Award winning (T3) Nespresso machine with 100 caps for £52

• This topic has 58 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by Fueled.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • PSA – Award winning (T3) Nespresso machine with 100 caps for £52
    Haze

Cheers for the PSA, snapped one up as I’ve been considering moving on from instant for some time, but not yet ready for the rabbit hole of bean to cup…

zilog6128

to be pedantic (this is STW), b2c only gives you marginally more control than Nespresso! It’s when you start worrying about separate grinders etc that you need to be concerned ;)

Haze

Yeah got that, meant from beans rather than bean to cup machine!

Love the idea and will maybe head that way when time and disposable funds allow…

letmetalktomark

@Daffy – thank you for the PSA – I’ve plumped for a red one – obvs red is faster.

Going to get a pod crusher now.

Looking forward to trying it out now :-)

nparker

Great PSA thanks! Only drink coffee occasionally and even then no more than one a day so never been able to justify one of these. Handy for guests and kids looking forward to trying hot chocolate.

mrsheen
    Free Member

Mine arrived today so hoping to get it firing up later. Thanks ?

squirrelking
    Free Member

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_of_Nestlé

Surprised nobody has left this here yet…

zilog6128

I don’t believe either Philips or L’or have anything to do with Nestlé

Blazin-saddles

Surprised nobody has left this here yet…

why?  L’or is part of Douwe Egberts and I can’t see any links with Nestle from a quick google.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why?  L’or is part of Douwe Egberts and I can’t see any links with Nestle from a quick google.

I don’t believe either Philips or L’or have anything to do with Nestlé

But the “nes” presso ? The machine is under license but the pods are now – nestle failed to uphold the licensing in legal battles.

Hence why they developed virtuo to try and recapture the licensing.

Fueled
    Free Member

Got this and it is great, thanks for the PSA.

Question from a pod machine newbie. What is the difference between pods which are recommended for ristretto/espresso/lungo? Is it just blends or roasts which someone deems more suitable for a given drink type? Ground size?

If I make a lungo from a ristretto pod, will I die? Will it be disgusting? Will I not notice?

Daffy

There’s more coffee (7g vs 5g) in a lungo pod vs a normal one so you can extract more coffee from it.  If you try to extract too much from a pod (or espresso for that matter) you’ll end up with a worse tasting coffee.

Kryton57

I’ve got a fully working Vertuo machine in good order I’m trying to offload if anyone wants it.

BoardinBob

Picked one of these up. The instructions are pretty sparse but wanted to check something with those that have one.

The ristretto and espresso buttons, with a single press, deliver the listed volume of coffee

The lungo button however, seems to require it to be pressed again to stop it. Basically I can’t press it once and it’ll deliver 80ml or whatever the listed amount is.

I can see something in the manual about a custom setting where you hold the ristretto button for 4 seconds, and it’ll keep on pouring out until you press it again.

Does mine sound faulty or am I missing something

Rich_s

I convinced the missus to move away from Nestle because #<edited because it beat the swear filter, but it’s Fnestle>, but it appears Douwe Egberts is part of Mondelez. Not saying they’re as bad as Nestle, but…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondelez_International#Controversies

tops5
    Free Member

@boardingbob

If the Ristretto button is the one on the far right of the machine I just press it and it dispenses a given volume the same as the others

a11y

The lungo button however, seems to require it to be pressed again to stop it. Basically I can’t press it once and it’ll deliver 80ml or whatever the listed amount is.

That doesn’t sound right. I’m working through the included pods and prefer a long coffee (annoyingly few lungo pods included relative to the ristretto and espresso sizes). One press of my lungo button and it delivers the correct 110ml (or 220ml for XXL pods) without needing to press the button again to stop it. I had a play around with dispensing volumes via the 4-sec press process, but didn’t think it improved things so reset it back to the standard volumes for all 3 buttons.

Has anyone found a pod recycler/crusher thing that works will for the XXL pods? I bought the Dualit EcoPress but it’s only meant for regular-sized pods and not the XXL ones – it does them, not doesn’t always extract all (or even most) of the coffee and occasionally buggers it up completely.

Also, I’m enjoying the Double Lungo Profondo XXLs but struggling to find alternatives in this XXL format. I’m aware this machine is the only one that takes these XXL size but I thought there’d be more choice in these pods. Anyone got suggestions or links for other XXL long coffees?

Haze

@boardinbob press and hold the lungo button until it flashes rapidly, releasing and quickly pressing again should cause the machine to carry on pouring until it reaches the minimum amount for a lungo…50ml for a regular pod, 100ml for a double…

https://www.philips.co.uk/c-f/XC000017092/how-to-adjust-the-coffee-amount-of-my-lor-barista-coffee-machine

Same process for the other styles.

Hold all 3 buttons simultaneously to reset to default.

Fueled
    Free Member

Has anyone found a pod recycler/crusher thing that works will for the XXL pods? I bought the Dualit EcoPress but it’s only meant for regular-sized pods and not the XXL ones – it does them, not doesn’t always extract all (or even most) of the coffee and occasionally buggers it up completely.

I had exactly the same problem, I found that stabbing an “x” into the flat bit of the big pod with a knife will help it burst when pushed inside out, and then it works pretty well.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.