Home Forums Chat Forum PSA – Award winning (T3) Nespresso machine with 100 caps for £52

• This topic has 58 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by Fueled.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • PSA – Award winning (T3) Nespresso machine with 100 caps for £52
    Daffy

Philips LM8014/60 Machine and 100 L’or capsules for £60 (including free shipping) from their website with up to 16% cashback available from Topcashback making is ~£52.  That’s 25p per coffee INCLUDING the machine!

lorespresso.com

Available in a variety of colours (black, red and white) – the black machine alone is £76 at John Lewis and the red one is over £100.  Take normal Nespresso capsules and even takes BIG Nespresso style capsules if you want a big cup of coffee.

zilog6128

Wow, great price! This machine is really good (as are the L’or capsules IMO). Obviously I’d never use it at home but I got one to put in the van for post-ride espressos :)

neilnevill
    Free Member

There must be a catch. Where’s the catch?  This might make my wife quite happy…..I need a catch to justify the ‘no’, but i don’t want another machine in our tiny kitchen.  Is there a catch?

IHN

Is there a catch?

1) the inherent waste that comes with capsule coffee machines

2) the cost of the pods compared to loose coffee

neilnevill
    Free Member

I know those!  It’s my basic reason for resisting.

rone

Is this just a Nespresso machine – cos that never tasted that good to me when I had one or is it something else?

BillOddie

I have had one of those since May and it’s been very good.  Used once or twice a day by one of the kids and for my midday pick me up (I drink a gallon of filter coffee first thing).

I paid £80 including 200 capsules and came to the conclusion that the machine was in effect free. So that price is very very good.

The only slight issue I have had with it is that it doesn’t seem to work with some compostable Nespresso Capsules.

zilog6128

Is this just a Nespresso machine – cos that never tasted that good to me when I had one or is it something else?

yes – but how good it is, is all down to the particular capsule. My local artisanal roasters make their own which are IMO much better than standard Nespresso ones, and also fully compostable!

Daffy

1) the inherent waste that comes with capsule coffee machines

2) the cost of the pods compared to loose coffee

Each capsule uses less coffee than a traditional Espresso 14g vs 18-22g which is good for the environment.

Many capsules are recyclable.  We use a pod crusher which squeezes the coffee out and into a composter and the flat aluminium goes to back to Nespresso.

You can also buy refillable capsules which use espresso ground coffee, so less waste and less beans.

It’s not as simple as you make it out to be.  I have a Sage Barista, but my wife uses this.

benpinnick

Thanks for the PSA! My wife said she should get me a machine for my B’day/Chrimble/just because to save me pinching the work one when were away. The boys at the factory will be grateful! With 100 pods the machine is very cheap indeed.

finbar
    Free Member

It’s not as simple as you make it out to be

Yes it is. I should flipping hope the capsules are recyclable, but that really doesn’t offset the fact that pod machines are inherently wasteful. 6g of coffee is not equivalent to the carbon cost of producing, shipping and recycling (or sadly in many cases putting into landfill) pods.

Reduce > reuse > recycle in that order.

Daffy

finbarFree Member
    It’s not as simple as you make it out to be
    Yes it is. I should flipping hope the capsules are recyclable, but that really doesn’t offset the fact that pod machines are inherently wasteful. 6g of coffee is not equivalent to the carbon cost of producing, shipping and recycling (or sadly in many cases putting into landfill) pods.

Reduce > reuse > recycle in that order.

So, you’re making my point for me?  Reduce comes first, right?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/feb/10/single-use-coffee-pod-environment-impact-better

The paper (and others) which this report links to show that there’s substantially less C02 production and water use per coffee for capsules than for Filter coffee.    Whilst waste (assuming not recycled) is a problem, from a CO2 PoV, it is better.

zomg

The comparison to filter coffee is likely a deliberate contrivance as it involves more paper use and is a less usual coffee brewing method. An Aeropress might be a closer coffee brewing comparison in quality and budget.

IHN

Many capsules are recyclable.

And many aren’t. And of the ones that are, what proportion of those actually do get recycled? And what about the transport of pods vs the transport of loose coffee, as pods are clearly less space-efficient packaging wise.

The comparison to filter coffee is likely a deliberate contrivance as it involves more paper use and is a less usual coffee brewing method. An Aeropress might be a closer coffee brewing comparison in quality and budget.

Surely the valid comparison is ‘traditional’ espresso maker?

kelvin

Each capsule uses less coffee than a traditional Espresso 14g vs 18-22g which is good for the environment.

That explains why I need to use 2 capsules! There’s a newer variant of Nespresso that can actually hold enough coffee to make a double shot in one hit… but most machines don’t take them, so they’re not as readily available.

Daffy

I think it’s because it’s North America based research and due to their low voltage, filter coffee machines and Nespresso machines are more common than a proper espresso machine.  The other research in the linked article covered espresso.

But a Nespresso capsule has 5-7g of coffee (normal or lungo) – and a typically double espresso is 18-22g.  So 4-15g is the range of coffee savings.  At 2x coffee a day that’s 3-11kg of coffee saved per person, which equates to needing 2-5x as many coffee plants to produce it.  Water, land area, etc.

kelvin

Sounds like greenwashing bullshit to me.

Daffy

ALL coffee is damaging and it’s a question of how you equate that damage.  Just to say, I don’t use a Nespresso, I have a single double espresso every morning from a Sage Barista Pro Touch, and that’s me done for the day.  My wife (who does recycle her capsules) has 3 coffees per day from her Nespresso, but she uses less coffee than I do.

We use one of these:

https://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/podcycler.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiuC2BhDSARIsALOVfBIA3dn6kE5K7e0DAKP2WDWhSeSqzkTvglusxwvWaD1DMX9p2tP5G7caAibMEALw_wcB

And then these:

https://www.nespresso.com/uk/en/order/accessories/original/recycling-bag

And only buy aluminium capsules.

Daffy

kelvinFull Member
    Sounds like greenwashing bullshit to me.

Then you might want to educate yourself on full lifecycle analysis before passing judgement.

johnnystorm

I’ve got one of these, also on the £80 with 200 pods. It arrived with a number of bags for recycling the pods. I drop them off at the local recycling centre on my way to work. They do both alloy and plastic pods.

While it might not make the best coffee it certainly makes the best coffee I have the skills or inclination to make. Give me a £4000 machine and it’ll still be average!

I get my pods from Kafekapslen in Denmark. They do one trip a week to the UK and sort all the import faff out for you. Huge range of pods, XL, hot choc, etc.

Daffy

Anyway – I thought it was a good PSA, perhaps this is the wrong crowd.

MODS – please feel free to delete if it’s deemed to be greenwashing, unethical or temper tantrum causing.

zilog6128

There’s a newer variant of Nespresso that can actually hold enough coffee to make a double shot in one hit

yes… this one lol

tops5
    Free Member

£59 for me but great PSA thanks!

Lol at the usual STW descent into petty squabbling/hand wringing :)

Mintyjim

I bought one!

Great PSA, I’m well chuffed, been umming and arring for ages but our Eurocamp cabin had one last week and we were pretty impressed with it.

rockhopper70

More a tamper tantrum.

Good price, tempted to replace the Tassimo.

kelvin

I thought it was a good PSA

It is. Good machine. Let’s not pretend using pods is saving the planet though.

johnnystorm

There’s a newer variant of Nespresso that can actually hold enough coffee to make a double shot in one hit… but most machines don’t take them, so they’re not as readily available.

That and Nescafe still having a patent on the design, something that long expired on the originals.

If you like long coffees these are good as LOR make XL pods and Jacobs make double filled normal sized ones that Kaffekapslen.co.uk sell. This may be a repeat of what’s already been said but I ain’t venturing back into the thread.?

Cougar

My local artisanal roasters

There’s seemingly a couple of those on this thread.

Nice PSA, not for me but I’ve passed it on to a friend who might be interested.  Ta.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cougar, that’s the best line I’ve heard on here for a long time. Bravo

leffeboy

Applauds Cougar

Cougar

Here all week, try the coffee. (-:

CountZero

ALL coffee is damaging and it’s a question of how you equate that damage.

But can’t that argument be levelled at everything that we eat and drink? Unless everyone only eats and drinks what they themselves consume, then where do you actually draw the line?

Personally, I’m not much interested in coffee or whizzy machines like these, I’m perfectly capable of putting a coffee bag in a mug and adding hot water, for all I actually care about it, I always drink tea, either regular tea in a bag with milk, or green tea, also in a bag for ease of preparation; I can’t be arsed to make a pot, it’ll have gone cold before I finish the first cup!

rone

ALL coffee is damaging and it’s a question of how you equate that damage

Yep. My coffee prep is a right process involving flushing, cleaning, paper towels, some discarding, beans that have travelled miles etc.

Clearly anything you do has an impact.

I reckon making coffee at home ought to be allowed in this crazy day and age.

Whereas going to Starbucks …

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely the less coffee thing is countered by the fact that any sane person ends up using two pods for their coffee……I know I do when I’m at the in-laws because 1 pod makes a pitiful amount of coffee.

a11y

I thought it was a good PSA

It is. Thanks – ordered. I’m happy with my decision. Also ordered a Podcycler and supply of bags, although I’ll double-check with my local council as apparently aluminium pods can go in one of our recycling bins.

Saved the Kaffekapslen link for future.

And *applauds* Cougar.

rockhopper70

Just to add, Discount Dragon usually have cheap coffee pods, for example.

10 x Mild Everyday Coffee Nespresso Pods

Which appear to be the Kaffekapslen brand mentioned above.

benp1

Great PSA, thank you. Usually use an aeropress in the house and will continue to do so, but this was so cheap it means I can give one a whirl to see how it goes in my office/garage where I have no running water

b33k34

But a Nespresso capsule has 5-7g of coffee (normal or lungo) – and a typically double espresso is 18-22g. So 4-15g is the range of coffee savings.

So it makes a smaller coffee.  That’s like saying my pint of beer emits less CO2 than yours because it’s in a 500ml glass not 568ml.  Now *maybe* Nespresso claim that they use the coffee more efficiently and extract every last drop of flavour and caffeine out of what goes into the pod.  But it never feels like that when I’ve had them – an 18g double espresso from my machine at home is enough for me, but even having two pods from a Nespresso machine I’m left wanting more*

Convenience wise they’re great. Small, no mess, pretty much foolproof. But I’ve never been convinced for everyday home use.

*this is not 100% scientific.  Nespresso is only ever when on holiday/hotel/b&b.  it may be influenced by alcohol consumption previous night or long slow breakfasts. It could be even the best Nespresso pods I’ve used are less to my taste than the coffee I buy at home.

Yak

Smaller espresso? Not convinced.

Normal espresso at home (no pod) and a moka pot on small stove if out. Not sure how a moka pot/gas stove stacks up energy use wise, but certainly less waste/ manufacture of pods etc. I could improve things by switching to a small wood stove for outside use though.

Sandwich

Whereas going to Starbucks …

Should be a hanging offence?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.