Home Forums Bike Forum Protective gear for 12 year old?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Protective gear for 12 year old?
  • alansd1980

After ignoring my encouragement for years the boy has decided he now wants to get into riding and has spent the last couple of months riding locally with some friends. For his birthday we are going to BPW and will spend a couple of days riding the greens and blues.

All over the website it is saying full protective equipment is needed. Is this overkill or for the flow trails would some knee and elbow pads be sensible?

I have ridden most of the other South Wales trails centres and never used pads but BPW looks quite jumpy!

If so, any recommendations? I don’t want to go crazy on something he will either grow out of or grow bored of in a few months!

Thanks

kimbers

Elbows knees full face should be fine, you could always look out for sh mx body armour

If anyone can recommend some knee pads for a skinny 12 year old let me know

nixie

Kimbers 7idp youth seem to fit my daughter well (also 12). Have just ordered their elbow pads for her as well for an upcoming 417 trip. If she enjoys it I’ll be adding a chest/back/shoulder protector and full face.

Op, bpw might rent kids size full face helmets for a first try. 417 do apparently.

A long sleeve top and longer trousers maybe also a good idea (slip layers).

dyna-ti

I’d say shin pads too.

Mainly because I’d a pedal strike yesterday and it bloody hurt. Circumstances were dismounting the bike and the pedal wasnt where i thought it was. So it can happen stationary it can happen any time. Cut down on one potential injury day ruiner.

rockhopper70

My kids when younger had the D3O style sleeve pads.  They seemed a little more comfortable than a hard, bulky shell.  We had TLD speed sleeve and G-Form.

alansd1980

Thanks all,

Ordered some G form knee and elbow pads which should arrive today.
    Hopefully the won’t be needed!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.