Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Protection/Care for a steel frame?
  • camwba96
    Free Member

Recently got myself a steel 29er mountain bike and I have heard tales of people putting GT85 in the frame after a ride and turning the frame upside down overnight while others simply clean the bike. Is there anything I should be doing (apart from cleaning it well) to protect the frame from rust been as though its steel?

brack
    Free Member

Kona’s

Lava dome – from new 1996
    Cindercone from new 1996
    Kona Kilaeau used but bought in 1998

Never used anything on them and all are in pretty much constant use.

My input

NO

scotroutes

I put Waxoyl in the frame before I built my El Mariachi but then I’m using it packrafting and fully expect it to get submerged at some point 😉

jairaj

don’t need to do anything special. Just treat it the same as any other bike.

but if you really want, then treat it with waxoyl before building the bike up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My El Mariachi is currently fourfilling a role as a commuter, it was submerged last night in a top-tube deep ford. All my bikes get a similar level of love and attention and none have done anything worse than a dribble of rusty water in the BB.

I’d never worry about it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Grease in assemblies, bolts, BB shell etc. Grease your seatpost fairly regularly, esp. after a wet ride.

camwba96
    Free Member

Thanks guys

nedrapier

wot buzz said, and wot I said on a thread earlier today:

I recently had my steel frame renovated by A Well Known Frame Builder, who’s been building for 35+ years.

I asked about rust protection for the inside, they recommended waxoyl or framesaver.

I asked whether it’s a good idea, or a nice-to-have if you’re a bit paranoid, and whether he bothered with his own frames.

The reply:

No doubt you will be familiar with the saying “Do as I say, not as I do!”

bencooper
    Free Member

I’ve seen frames rust out from the inside – it takes several decades at least. If you plan to keep your bike that long, it’s worth using Framesaver.

If not, then don’t bother 😉

eulach

I put a waxoyl type product in my steel frame before it got built. It cost less than £10 and took about half an hour to do (but it does need a bit of drying time – overnight). I was a bit annoyed/concerned the other day when I took the seat post out and it had rust stains on it. But thinking about it now, there probably isn’t any waxy stuff left in the seat tube because the seatpost is regularly removed.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Use a chemical rust converter such as Vactan or Kurust if there is any rust it will be converted into metal if the metal is fine a protective coat will still remain.
    Takes about 15mins to dry.
    Waxoyle I’d imagine would be rather thick and also easily scraped off at contact points…..

jackthedog
    Free Member

if there is any rust it will be converted into metal

How is this scientifically possible?

tsd
    Free Member

I treated my 456 with boiled linseed oil before building it up as an alternative to framesaver or waxoyl.

spectabilis
    Free Member

jackthedog – Member
    if there is any rust it will be converted into metal
    How is this scientifically possible?

Don’t ask me I don’t make it…..
    But to be a little more accurate call it a metallo-organic compound or some shit…
    Whatever it works and even if not converting rust still acts as an excellent protective coat. 🙂

johnnystorm

Acf-50. Designed for aircraft and works a treat on my motorbikes exposed parts. A little goes a long way. 🙂

scotroutes

I’m thinking more about sea water 😯

coatesy
    Free Member

Beware of Waxoyl if you ever plan on a respray, stoving causes it to melt, run out through the drain holes, and ruin the finish wherever it mingles with the paint/powdercoat.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Protection/Care for a steel frame?’ is closed to new replies.