Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Problem with X-fusion forks?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I bought a set of slide 29″ forks after asking on here & I have just gone to fit them & the steerer is to big 🙁 The crown race went on ok but the bottom race just won’t fit, I tried a different race & its the same, I’m using the same Hope headset so I know that’s ok, so I measured the steerer & I says 1.2″, maybe a fraction under but nowhere near 1.125″!
    I’m going to take them back to the excellent LBS tomorrow, but I thought I’d ask if anyone else has had a similar experience first?

Cheers.

khani
    Free Member

Is the taper too long for the headtube?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m not sure what you mean, but the forks are supposed to be & are labeled as 1-1/8th, so 1.125″, basically the bottom of the steerer is to wide.

Cheers.

khani
    Free Member

If they’re 1.18th I have no idea, I thought they were tapered forks in a tapered headtube, on some smaller frames the taper on the steerer is too long to fit and fouls before its all the way through the headtube.

z1ppy

Sounds like you might have be given a set of “tapered” forks (1.125 top & 1.5 bottom) or maybe not???

Is the steerer on the fork perfectly straight or tapered

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There is only one ‘race’ – the crown race. By the other one I assume you mean the lower bearing?. It sounds like your not sure, so I’d advise you to go back to the shop for guidance.

rondo101
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve been supplied with tapered steerer to me.

Does the steerer look like this?:

or this?:

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Right, the measurements I gave were taken with a vernier so will be correct, there is a slight taper to the bottom of the steerer as do most forks, but certainly nowhere near 1.5″, & yes I meant the lower bearing & not the bottom race.

Cheers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Back to the shop with them then.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of forks with a wrongly sized steerer before i.e. fractionally undersized and down to a manufacturing quality issue. It’s not unprecedented.

cookeaa

The bottom of a 1.125″ (28.6mm) steerer will taper out to anything up to 30mm ish to give an interference fit for the crown race. Unlees your headset uses a split race you’ll need to “persuade” it on…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The crown race went on, it was the bottom bearing that didn’t want to fit!

Cheers though.

iainc

If the crown race goes with the bottom bearing as part of the headset, how can one fit but not the other ?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Soft ally vs hard steel?

simondbarnes

Pics?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Why, are you doubting my ability to use a vernier ?
    The bloody bearing does not fit!

khani
    Free Member

Did you take the bearing out before you fitted the fork? is the bearing upside down?
    You never know…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OK, I give in, many thanks to everyone for all the input.

Cheers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If the crown race goes with the bottom bearing as part of the headset, how can one fit but not the other ?

The bottom bearing is designed to fit on the crown race, not against the steerer, so there shouldn’t be any interference type fit with the bearing Iain.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Problem with X-fusion forks?’ is closed to new replies.