Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • probably a stupid road bike Q, but…
  • meeeee
    Free Member

is it best to carry road bike kit eg tubes, tools, energy bar on you ie in back pockets, or on the bike.

I cant see it making any difference as you’re still carrying the same weight, and i carry mine in a little saddlebag as i dont like bulky things in my pockets, but i’ve got 2 roadie mates who say its better carrying on your person as the bikes lighter! I argue the total overall weight is the same so shouldnt make any difference but they arent convinced as i’m a newbie roadie!

as i said, probably a stupid question…

sockpuppet
    big_n_daft
    Free Member

do they race? there’s a snobbery that if you race you don’t put a saddle bag on the bike.

Personnally, I use a saddle bag as an allen key in the kidneys from a tumble isn’t a good plan

timdrayton
    Free Member

good question!

am also a newbie roadie, why no camelbacks for them then?

surely a water bottle on the bike is more fiddly?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I stuff it in my pockets on the road bike. Saddle bags annoy me for some reason.

Oh and it makes the bike heavier 😉

Not really.

I have a small saddle bag that I get a tube, punc kit and multitool in. Everything else in pockets

crikey
    Free Member

Total weight is what counts, not where you carry it.
    There was a thread about it a few days ago.
    You can usually get away with pockets; it encourages you not to carry loads of extra stuff.
    Camelbaks give you a sweaty back and slip forwards when you are in the drops, plus they allow you to carry too much stuff.

meeeee
    Free Member

yeah they race and are very into having the right kit, little white socks, bike always perfect, nice clean watter bottles, carbon fibre cages etc…

i was thinking it was maybe just a looks thing as my bike looks nicer without the bag but i just prefer not having stuffed wedged in pockets (except maybe one snack)

davefarmer
    Free Member

i reckon that i can feel the weight of a saddle bag when climbing out of the saddle, and rocking the bike.

Doesn’t matter, but i think i can feel it lolling around

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

look at the tread.

My oppinion is that its better to put a spare tube or two, and patch kit between the saddle rails, held in by lecy tape. and a frame mounted pump. That way if its a nice evening i can just jump in it and be on my way without scouerign the hosue for all the bits of faff.

Hide a £10 note under one insole. Then all you need to remember is an ID card (if the worse should happen), phone and key (blu tacked together) in the zip up pocket most jerseys have.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘probably a stupid road bike Q, but…’ is closed to new replies.