Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 392 total)
  • Pro XC Tweaks
  • mickmcd
    Free Member

People always forget that making a one off isn’t very expensive

you are joking aren’t you making one of something is quite possibly the most expensive way of doing anything that involves a mold or a machine

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you are joking aren’t you making one of something is quite possibly the most expensive way of doing anything that involves a mold or a machine

You could always have a frame made from tubes/lugs etc, with something that bares a passing resemblance to the iso-speed but doesn’t actually work. Plenty of carbon frame makers could do that from tubes without needing molds.

OTOH, what she has obviously works. Maybe she actually want’s a 75deg seat angle and it’s not just a function of frame sizing. Remember it’s taller people that benefit most form steep seat angles and putting the saddle forward to compensate for too smaller a frame is going to rob her of power so I can’t imagine it’s being done without a lot of thought having gone into it.

dragon
    Free Member

Taken from a 2013 article on Bikeradar about her cross bike:

“Because of her shorter femurs she runs a more forward setup. Her setback is only 1cm behind the bottom bracket,” said Trek Factory Racing team mechanic Matt Opperman.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I guess she could run a back to front layback, might look a bit less silly.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Re the idea of Batty’s proposed one off frame, specilazed haven’t made kalhavy a custom epic yet (he stated he rides the large instead of xl as the xl’s head tube is too long) and he only ever rides the epic. Think as stated above one off carbon frames aren’t that practical plus if works but looks a bit odd who cares, more tools than works of art.
    Very clear kalhavy doesn’t care about conventional set up. Always think what people on here would say about his set up if he was a regular joe (esp seat angle, 130mm stem etc).

mrblobby
    Free Member

one off carbon frames aren’t that practical

Is it really that big a deal? Specialized seem to be able to knock out custom geometry frames for the likes of Boonen.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hardtails are one thing, a custom FS bike would be a different kettle of fish I imagine.

The headtube length as a reason for rejecting an XL does seem odd though. To me (off road at least) it’s only really a function of comfort and weight distribution. If it were too high (within reason) would it really slow him down relative to riding with a huge layback and 130mm stem?

Emily’s is low I presume in part because the forward seat position naturally tips her forward (the reverse of a TT bike, which is low first, thus necessitating a steep SA).

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I know what you mean but I think it’s save to say Kalharvy knows what will help him be fast a lot better than us.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Can’t be easy to read a Garmin at that angle!

Nino’s newness. And….OMFGCOPTERZ! It’s a 29er.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

gone all batty on the saddle rails

paint job is so good

timb34
    Free Member

I’d spotted the stem, but not the saddle!

I wonder how much is really looking for improvements and how much is gamesmanship with Juju Abs.

“I’ve gone FS”
    “So have I”
    “I’m National Champ (again)”
    “So am I (again)”
    “I’m European Champ (again)”
    “I’m World Champ (again)”
    “I’ve got a dropper”
    “I’ve gone 29er”
    “I’ve got a new girlfriend who has more stripey jumpers than you”
    “I’ve got an impressively manly 36t chainring”
    …and so on…

I don’t imagine for an instant that it’s like that – they both seem like pretty good lads, but maybe, just maybe…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Oh that’s nice!

GregMay
    Free Member

*rubs thighs*

Yes please.

nickc

that tread looks glued on. Running tubs?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Like the fsa stem on the BH. Like the flat force but listed in length & angle like a normal stem. Now if only anyone was selling them!!

schmiken

Neither setup looks like tubs to me. Would be excited if they were though!

mrblobby
    Free Member

That rim looks like it’d be for a clincher. Those the new carbon crossmax then?

ferrals
    Free Member

Nino didn’t have much joy on 29er!

Mavis’s a funny one, is it just me or have they lost their way somewhat? Back when I knew about bikes in the nineties mavic were great but it seems now they are behind the curve a bit

MSP

Nino runs dugast(?) tubs.

I think that Mavic are stuck in a slow product cycle, they have been caught out with the move to wider rims, by newer faster companies. But once they have caught up, they will probably do it well. I also think it is a mistake forcing customers to buy a wheel tyre package.

Personally I think skinwalls look shit.

njee20
    Free Member

Nino runs dugast(?) tubs

Yep – but the discussion is about those Mavic/Michelin wheels above, which don’t look like tubs to me.

I agree that skinwalls generally look crap though.

ferrals
    Free Member

Agreed the wheel tyre package is daft.

Yes I think Nino uses dugast tubs. Trying both 29er and new tyres today and flatted twice. Imagine he’d have given absalon a run for his money if not.

Anyone know why grant Ferguson dnf’ed? Seemed to be going well the first couple of laps but then diasapeared

Edit. Agree with njee, the mavic Michelin combo defo don’t look like tubs

mrblobby
    Free Member

The new road stuff Mavic have been releasing this year look a vast improvement on the old stuff.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Not a great advert for the Dugast Ori tubeless tubs if he was on those

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kulhavy still doesn’t know how to set a bike up. Obviously. 🙂

Interesting to see the bottle so high up. Easier to reach, but harder to get in and out, I’d have thought.

And….No Dugast for Nino? Looks like Maxxis here.

shaggy

I love these pictures. So weird that we have to go to PB to see them.

The size of the Eagle cassette looks silly for me. I’m really curious whether the pros need that range.

Rorschach
    Free Member

They’re running 38’s up front (which is about the maximum the bikes will fit) so 38/50 is about same bottom gear as 32/42.
    Whether they ‘need’ it is largely irrelevant….they get paid to use it so we’ll buy it!

scaredypants

Kulhavy still doesn’t know how to set a bike up. Obviously.

so few riders correct their saddle to run level once the suspension has sagged.
    (that is a 200mm travel rear end, isn’t it ?)

Interesting to see the bottle so high up. Easier to reach, but harder to get in and out, I’d have thought.

looks like a dise-loading cage to me

fifeandy
    Free Member

Nino’s tyres are certainly quite interesting.
    Unbadged maxxis aspens – the interesting part is that aspens are made of paper whuch doesnt make them seem very suited to the rock gardens, and dont come in 3c compound. So does this make them an Aspen2 prototype?

@Shaggy, yes they need that range, the 50t allows a bigger chainring, which in turn gives higher top speed for tarmac finish line sprints.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks the bike looks like it has a huge wheelbase? I guess the short stem might be making it a trick of the eye?

Looks fast mind

fifeandy
    Free Member

Stunning bike.
    Reading the article, i called it right on the tyres way back up there 🙂

Kryton57

The top tube of that has all his champs wins on shields painted on. Must be huge inspiration.

ferrals
    Free Member

Pinkbike have covered Bart Brentjens new bikes:

American eagle on Pinkbike

I’m shocked at the lack of mud clearance round the chainstay/bb, must be asking for trouble!

njee20
    Free Member

Fairly surprising for a non-US designed bike certainly.

qwerty
    Free Member

Here’s my friends kit dump, pit 2, round one, Novo Mesto, fortunately not needed yesterday:

[/url]2017-05-21_08-31-22 by martinddd, on Flickr[/img]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nino’s psikk new whip hits the scales.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

P to the I to the M to the P!

Fontana still running the peak and baggies! And a dropper, by the looks of it.

Big respekk to da Pinkbike masseeev for da Psikkk coverage, brah.

mtbcoach
    Free Member

Very interesting that Nino is still running a Fox shock, considering SRAM is a title sponsor now.

ferrals
    Free Member

Not sure why they are creaming themselves over the 38t ring, with a 50t eagle on the back it’s roughly the same ratio as 32fr 42rear

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 392 total)

The topic ‘Pro XC Tweaks’ is closed to new replies.