Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pro Carbon Ultegra vs RT57 105 – £1k road bike face off
  • 40mpg

Hmm, what would you choose?

Got a grand to spend on a new road bike, both of these fit the bill. Its only for Sunday morning and summer evening blasts round teh lanes, I gave up road racing a fewc years ago.

Both frames have very similar dimensions, to within 3mm generally, less than I’d notice. Is it worth going for the older design pro carbon for better kit? (Its a tad lighter too). Someone mentioned to me that 105 shifters were a bit problematic, but not heard of this before.

Current favourite is the pro carbon <girly mode> because it comes in that nice shade guru blue </girly mode> 😳

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For me it would boil down to the frame set/wheelset combo as there is little or no real world difference between Ultegra and 105 – and I don’t think it’ll be the full group sets anyway – just front and rear derailliers and shifters. I could be wrong but I think the RT57 frame is the newer and possibly more advanced frame set??

Bazz

If it were me it’d come down to the bottom bracket, threaded over press fit any day of the week.

Edit: I have a pro carbon and don’t race at all, it’s all the bike i’ll ever need.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d go on frame/wheels.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are press fit bottom brackets that much of a deal breaker? Or is it just planet x frames that concern you?

Bazz

Press fit bottom brackets are a deal breaker for me, one of the most ridiculous ideas ever imo, although it looks as though in the future i’ll have no choice on new frames 🙁

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not had a frame with on but I’ve never had an issue with any other press fit bearing application. Curious to know what the problem is before I buy a new bike.

Superficial
    Free Member

Close up, the RT-57 is a much nicer frame. A lot more detailed and better-finished (especially in the black / red). The front end of the pro-carbon is very flexy in the shop (although admittedly I haven’t taken it for a ride). For those reasons, I think the RT57 is a nicer bike – But it’s also kind of a different bike really. The RT57 is much stiffer and probably more suited to shorter rides/racing compared with the pro carbon which is probably more forgiving.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

There is no real problem with press-fit bb, but they can be more succeptable to creaking in the frame. Plus they ideally need a proper press tool to fit. And when you need to get them out, thats it – they usually get damaged when you remove them, so you can’t re-use them.

Just another way for the bike industry to charge more for something that’s cheaper to make than a threaded system and doesn’t really give any benefits aside from marketing gumf about improved stiffnes cos they can use a wider bb shell.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

For a grand have a look at the Dolan L’etape as well. Not shimano , so gets away from the ‘105 issues as you think there is’ and a nice bike too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pro Carbon Ultegra vs RT57 105 – £1k road bike face off’ is closed to new replies.