Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Prince Philip Strikes Again!
  • noteeth
    Free Member

The NHS would be utterly fugged without Filipino Nurses – who, in my experience, are excellent clinical staff.

Edit: I’m staying out of it. 😀

bearnecessities

He’s an exemplary chap, who throughout has served everyone but himself.

A gent. An eccentric one, but we should all be ok with that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A gent?

A philandering bully more like it. But, he is a card really. 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Met him recently, funny and down to earth chap.

he exclaimed he was ‘the worlds most experienced plaque unveiler’

bwaarp
    Free Member

TBH Phillips humour reminds me of someone I used to hang out with at uni sometimes….Alex Partridge….the editor for uni lad http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/07/uni-lad-sexism-teenage-stone-age

Basically he’s a dick and if Phillip was younger and not of royal descent he’s read that magazine.

bearnecessities

A philandering bully more like it.

*Reported for being unsportsmanlike*

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

andyruss – Member
    Don’t worry the stw permanently offended will be along shortly

How true and offence taken with a liberal dollop of “insult gravy” – talk about ironing!

I wish we would reserve the term racism for when it really deserves to be used. Overuse and misuse merely dilutes the proper impact when true racism really does need to be condemned. This is not such an occassion.

grum
    Free Member

How true and offence taken with a liberal dollop of “insult gravy” – talk about ironing!

Where?

chewkw
    Free Member

LOL! Excellent old chap!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Agreed thm, in the light of there being no other term, lets just say he’s a bit of a racist. Now and again. But only in that ignorant way that old folk can be sometimes. Tbh, his bullying, philandering and poor parenting skills over the years make him far more questionable a person than being a bit of a racist.

Edric64
    Free Member

Prince Phillip could have been cast as The Major in Fawlty Towers

Woody
    Free Member

it’s a good thing that the NHS is employing a lot of Philipino nurses as they can teach the english nurses a thing or two about patient care

Interesting sweeping generalisation. What makes you think that?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Phil’s ace. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a slitty-eyed, spear-chucking fuzzy-wuzzy from Bongo Bongo Land. 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Yup- people moan about immigrants but the Monarchy is pretty dependant on them

mt
    Free Member

Woody, Stafford Hospital. Kings Mill Hospital, Mansfield.

Pigface
    Free Member

Has he philandered (could be made up word) then? Haven’t heard that one but then the old duffer is a bit off my radar, I do like the Scotch driving instructor tale.

Woody
    Free Member

mt

Are you agreeing with sancho, answering for him/her, or are you the same person? I’ll take your word for it though but it’s far from my experience!

binners

It sounds like a perfectly reasonable observation to me. As do a lot of his supposedly ‘offensive’ remarks. And its pretty tame by his standards, anyway.

I aspire to be like Prince Phillip when I’m older. If you can’t just randomly blurt out things like that to people, whats the point of being old? 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

whats the point of being old?

To reflect on your achievements and pass on your wisdom to the younger generations – neither of which is Philip’s strong suit.

binners

Personally I doubt I’ll have achieved anything by then anyway. And wisdom? Nope, can’t see that either really. So I’ll stick with aiming to be cantankrous, awkward, offensive and smell of wee

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Remind me again, why I’m contributing to his salary?

binners

Because you’re proud to be British German Greek?

atlaz
    Free Member

Many rumoured affairs but who knows whether they’re true.

Flaperon

Remind me again, why I’m paying his salary?

You’re not. Tax doesn’t work like that.

martinhutch

Remind me again, why I’m paying his salary?

Effectively you’re not. The civil list is/was a grant given by the state in return for the much larger income from the Crown Estate which is delivered to the Treasury.

That relationship is even clearer from this year on when the civil list is abolished and replaced by a sum which is in direct proportion to Crown Estate revenues.

Having said that, if you were asked to visit a couple of hundred boring hospitals, gala dinners and factories every year and make inane chitchat with various denizens, then you’d probably expect at least your expenses to be covered. He’s well over 80. They make the poor old bastard go the Royal Variety Performance and watch Joe Pasquale, FFS.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Because you’re proud to be British German Greek?

Aha – common fallacy there

Phil was born a British subject, as a descendant of Princess Sofia, under the Sofia Naturalisation act of 1705.

to be fair, nobody actually realised this until several years after he became a naturalised British citizen – but it turns out that he really is as British as a slice of Danish bacon on your full English breakfast 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

Scardeypants- Since the closure of Subic Bay US Navy base there have been a lot of highly skilled workers unemployed bar girls from Angeles City seeking employment elsewhere.

There, fixed that for you.

And Bwaarp speeaks the truth when he says…

Consequently exporting skilled workers is one of their major industries and expat nurses end up sending a lot of their money back home.

We get highly skilled foreign workers who we haven’t had to spend a dime on training and they get to boost their GDP. Win win. It does mean their health care system is pushed to the limit though.

The Philippines economy is a basket case, and they rely heavily on their expatriate workers in our hospitals, sailing half the world’s merchant ships, and working as maids and .. ahem… ‘entertainers’ in Hong Kong/Singapore to keep the country just solvent.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The civil list is/was a grant given by the state in return for the much larger income from the Crown Estate which is delivered to the Treasury.

So…. they’re paying US, so that they can be royalty.

I didn’t know that. I might have to think about it. 😯

thx1138
    Free Member

Of course, the nurses could have responded with ‘and why aren’t you back in your country of birth, helping sort out their disintegrating economy and rapidly growing social problems?’.

Gotta love Phil the Greek. The perfect example of just how the best education can be so utterly wasted on a person. Still, he won’t be around for too much longer, thankfully.

binners

The perfect example of just how the best education can be so utterly wasted on a person

True. But surely he’s playing second fiddle, by some considerable distance, to the Tory front bench on that? 😉

martinhutch

Of course, the nurses could have responded with ‘and why aren’t you back in your country of birth, helping sort out their disintegrating economy and rapidly growing social problems?’.

“Because the Greeks exiled my father for life and he was forced to flee with me as a babe-in-arms in a British warship?”

thx1138
    Free Member

So what’s stopping him returning now? Is he still under threat? Or is it simply that he wouldn’t have a ‘title’, and the associated wealth and influence?

aracer
    Free Member

Still, he won’t be around for too much longer, thankfully.

I presume you’re also one of those with dancing boots at the ready 🙄

sputnik
    Free Member

Not just the NHS, a company called Lifeline Screening does scans and tests ( rather pricey ) at my local village hall from time to time . About 20 staff, of which ONE is English and the rest is from the Philippines.

Ps, is Prince Phillip named after the Philippines ?

aracer
    Free Member

Ps, is Prince Phillip named after the Philippines

Don’t be silly. It’s the other way round.

martinhutch

So what’s stopping him returning now? Is he still under threat? Or is it simply that he wouldn’t have a ‘title’, and the associated wealth and influence?

The clue is that he lived in Greece for a few months out of his 80 years, doesn’t speak Greek fluently, so why should he? I’m sure that whatever kind of life he’d forged abroad, the tug of his birth country wouldn’t be that strong.

It would be like asking me to quit my job and go back to Canterbury, to which I have no ties other than being born there and living there for well under a year.

binners

Would you go back to Greece at the moment?

I may be wrong, but doesn’t he have kids, and grand-kids here? I know its overly-sentimental and soppy, but some people like to live near them

aracer
    Free Member

So what’s stopping him returning now?

Yeah – let’s send all these immigrants back where they came from.

thx1138
    Free Member

I’m not saying he has to go back at all. Just that he’s rather hypocritical, questioning the motives of those who’ve come from abroad to work here. At least they actually work…

I may be wrong, but doesn’t he have kids, and grand-kids here? I know its overly-sentimental and soppy, but some people like to live near them

Easyjet do cheap flights to Greece, I’m sure. Only takes a couple of hours. 😉

martinhutch

Ps, is Prince Phillip named after the Philippines ?

Almost the other way around – after King Philip of Spain at the time of its ‘discovery’. So yes, named after European royalty.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Prince Philip Strikes Again!’ is closed to new replies.