Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Prince Philip…. embarrassing or amusing?
  • yunki
    Free Member

irrelevant

Lifer
    Free Member

To British students in China:

If you stay here much longer you’ll all be slitty-eyed.

On the Royal Family’s finances:

“We go into the red next year. . . . I shall probably have to give up polo.”

On a messy fusebox in a factory he was visiting:

“It looks as though it was put in by an Indian.”

HilariARSE

trailmonkey

ho ho ho.

how we chortled at the harmless old racist bigot.

gawd bless ’em all.

jools182
    Free Member

I think he’s a legend

I’m sure some people do take offence to him

I however think he is a comedy genius

He is of a different era, which is partly why he is so amusing

Cougar

I’m convinced he does it on purpose to see just what he can get away with. He’s a massively intelligent ex-Navy bod with nowt better to do than sit there counting his money and opening things, in his situation I’d be doing exactly the same thing only not quite as expertly.

Plus, he’s married to the Queen, she’s a laugh-a-minute, isn’t she? Good grief, lemons have aspirational posters of the Queen on their bedroom walls for heaven’s sake. The last two weddings she’s been at, she’s looked like she’s waiting for a colonic. Philip probably just does it to wind her up.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

In fairness, he’s only like our own grandfathers are or could be.

Served in the war with a reasonable record, and seems to have a mind of his own. I suspect if any of you were in a postion to meet so many different groups of people, so frequently as your “job”, that you’d firstly find it dull, and be looking to make a few jokes and quips, and that theres a % that will offend someone, somewhere, doubly so when everything you say is recorded and reported for that very effect to flog a few papers.

For example, his remarks to students in China about becoming “slitty eyed” if they stay too long, was a reasonably intelligent reverse quip about a longer standing Chinese joke about staying in the west and becoming round eyed, but the press wouldn’t want that reported, as that might be fair, even handed and crucially, sell fewer papers.

I am no royalist, but it seems the embittered republicans in this thread can’t seperate their own opinions of his role with his personality.

Lets face it, he seems hapilly married, after 60 odd years, which is more than most of the posters here can manage….. I expect if he was *your* grandfather, happilly married, servedin the forces, you’d all be rather proud, secretly, even he did embarass you on occasion.

anagallis_arvensis

sseriously? Is this representative of what the country thinks?
    I’m shocked I thought everyone saw them for the useless parasites they are.

trailmonkey

For example, his remarks to students in China about becoming “slitty eyed” if they stay too long, was a reasonably intelligent reverse quip about a longer standing Chinese joke about staying in the west and becoming round eyed, but the press wouldn’t want that reported, as that might be fair, even handed and crucially, sell fewer papers.

Or maybe they wouldn’t report it as it would be equally racist and unfunny.

I’m sure you’d have reached that conclusion yourself though once you’d thought about it 8)

yossarian
    Free Member

“People usually say that after a fire it is water damage that is the worst. We are still drying out Windsor Castle.” To survivors of the Lockerbie bombings in 1993.

😯

chewkw
    Free Member

Amusing old man who can be funny at times but he does speak his mind which is good and does not discriminate. Unless you are Chinese, Indians, Aussie, African, Americans, French, from the Caribbean …

There is some truth in this …

“British women can’t cook.” Winning the hearts of the Scottish Women’s Institute in 1961.

For this he can join Homer Simpson.

21. “Get me a beer. I don’t care what kind it is, just get me a beer!” On being offered the finest Italian wines by PM Giuliano Amato at a dinner in Rome in 2000.

29. “Young people are the same as they always were. They are just as ignorant.” At the 50th anniversary of the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme.

30. “Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species.” Accepting a conservation award in Thailand in 1991.

LOL @

31. “Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?” In the Cayman Islands, 1994.

Yes.

39. “I wish he’d turn the microphone off!” The Prince expresses his opinion of Elton John’s performance at the 73rd Royal Variety Show, 2001.

54. “Can you tell the difference between them?” On being told by President Obama that he’d had breakfast with the leaders of the UK, China and Russia.

I think I can sit down to have a pint with him anytime.

Long-live the Queen’s husband …

:mrgreen:

bruk

He is a Legend. He is probably massively bored by all these dull meet and greets and tries to spice it up!

Very interested to read that re the chinese joke. If true shows how many of his gaffes are just snippets out of context.

Would buy him a pint anytime.

duntmatter
    Free Member

Embarrassing animated cadaver reaching the end of a pointless life spent generating the next set of parasites and trailing after his wife on holidays at the taxpayer’s expense.

Woppit has it!

😯

Russell96

89 Year old man with heart condition who carries out more duties 300+ than all of them except Anne, at least he tries harder than the rest of them.

meehaja
    Free Member

its all in the context. Like talking to survivors of lockerbie… what snot recorded, is did one of the people he speaking to ask about the fire?

After telling me I had cancer my doctor told me about having his car towed, and said its the worst news you can get. compared to being told you’ve got cancer, its pretty insignificant, in a conversation about arguing with clampers, by phone, form a different city, it makes sense.

alpin
    Free Member

he’s alright…..

much like any old fella his age. comments on what sees goign on around him. my old man says simialr things, but doesn’t get castrated by the media, just my mum!

LycraLout
    Free Member

How’s about a night on the piss with Phil and Sylvio?

totalshell

if you cant have a laugh at everyone who’se too far up thier ~~~~ when your 90 when can you

konabunny
    Free Member

yeah, those bastards at Lockerbie were far too up themselves. they needed taking down a peg.

He’s a massively intelligent ex-Navy bod

What’s the evidence to show his intelligence? If there’s anything interesting about the Royal Family, it’s that despite having expensive educations and all the resources and opportunity one could ever have, they all appear to be *remarkably* stupid. None of them is very articulate, none of them has ever written (or delivered, in fact) a speech or published an article of any significance, none of them has gone into public service (obligatory stints in the military to pick up a uniform and Price Andrew’s fellating of dictators aside).

chewkw
    Free Member

30. “Your country is one of the most notorious centres of trading in endangered species.” Accepting a conservation award in Thailand in 1991.

BBC News – check this out in Thailand. So that scumbag from UAE thinks he can smuggler endanger baby animals? Ya, feed him to the Nile crocodiles.

As for Prince Philip he is absolutely right and I will buy him a pint anytime. He makes sense unlike so many of the political shites you find nowadays.

:mrgreen:

DezB
    Free Member

He slagged off Elton John? Top bloke! 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

He slagged off Elton John? Top bloke!

I thought he was meant to respect the queen.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Prince Philip…. embarrassing or amusing?’ is closed to new replies.