Home Forums Bike Forum Prescription / Riding Glasses

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Prescription / Riding Glasses
  • hardtailonly

I know this gets done fairly regularly, but it’s been a while since I last saw a thread.

For the last 20 months or so, I’ve got on reasonably well with my vario-focal prescription in the Rad8 photochromic glasses as my only pair of specs … they do day to day stuff, plus riding stuff, pretty well.

But, updated prescription …

Anything else to consider?

I’m not sure I want photochromic again. They’re not great in low light/darkness (even when fully ‘clear’, there’s a slight sense they detract 5-10% of my night vision). Also, on cloudy days, the lenses can still darken due to UV light. And when driving, they don’t darken on sunny days as the car windows filter out the UV. And on sunny days riding in the woods, they don’t deal all that well with the contrast between sunlight and shadows.

So, any options for prescription vari-focal glasses, non photochromatic, that are suitable also for day to day wear?

slowoldman

I think the problem with non-photochromic is that you are going to end up with one lens colour unless you go for RX inserts behind interchangeable lenses which is what I have. Though in my case it’s because my prescription can’t done in “proper” cycling glasses.

bri-72

I’ve just got some transitions and the new gen lens also darkens while in car. Was a key selling point for me as my previous transitions didn’t. I can’t recall the proper name of the transitions lens but a google will tell you.

Still same issues of slight darkness even when clear day and slow transition. But at least I don’t need a separate prescription sunglasses for car now.

surprised at price too. Varifocal transition lens and frame £150 all in from vision express. Cheap frame mind you.

IHN

I’m not sure I want photochromic again. They’re not great in low light/darkness (even when fully ‘clear’, there’s a slight sense they detract 5-10% of my night vision). Also, on cloudy days, the lenses can still darken due to UV light. And when driving, they don’t darken on sunny days as the car windows filter out the UV. And on sunny days riding in the woods, they don’t deal all that well with the contrast between sunlight and shadows.

This is exactly why I sacked off photochromic lenses

Now I have a proper, good (expensive) pair of local optician sourced varifocals for all day every day use. They don’t get used for riding though.

For riding I have a couple of pairs of cheap varifocals from Goggles4U, one clear, one tinted.

ads678

I’ve also just binned off the photochromic lenses as I found them annoying.  I had the ones that darkened in a car and that was good, but sitting in the office by the window wearing sunglasses or on a teams call just makes you look like a tool!

They took ages to clear from dark as well.

I got the varifocal lenses replaced and had also got some prescription lenses in my Oakley Holbrooks from reglaze glasses direct and they look amazing, the coating looks just the same as the previous Oakley lens.

Yeah it’s 2 pairs now, but the sunnies are so much better than the photochromic dark glasses, and the normal ones look better too.

IHN

I had the ones that darkened in a car and that was good, but sitting in the office by the window wearing sunglasses or on a teams call just makes you look like a tool!

And, of course, there’s always also the problem of the half-tinted ‘sex pest’ look that comes with photochromics

fossy

RX Inserts for cycling for me. I’ve found the inserts fit generic ‘choakleys’ so I’ve a good supply of lenses etc.

Many other options, but RX inserts do give you the option for changing lenses to suit conditions, and you aren’t ruining your ‘daily’ glasses (mud, crashes etc).

IHN

Inserts was the way I was probably going to go until I got a tipoff on here about Goggles4U, and given the much cheapness there I went with them.

BillOddie

Last prescription riding glasses i had were Oakley Racing Jackets with Prizm Trail lenses which were great for riding in the middle 80% of daylight conditions.

If i was buying now I’d use a Prizm low light and then use my more casual sunglasses if it’s proper bright.

Happily i can get away without using prescription lenses now that my eyes are getting less shit due to getting older.

ads678

How do the inserts work? Do you need to get them made to fit specific frames? I’ve got some really nice Oakley Jawbreakers that I can’t really wear nowadays, as I dont really get on with contacts anymore…

slowoldman

Yes they are made for specific frames. I don’t think Oakley do inserts (I think they used to) but do a google and you’ll find 3rd party ones. I have inserts for Oakley Radars from a company called Saucer (via Amazon). I also got cheap lenses from “polarlens” on Ebay.

ads678

@slowoldman

Cheers I’ve seen some Saucer ones on amazon. Probably a thinck question, but just so I know….you buy the inserts then have them glazed at an opticians?

slowoldman

My optician has done mine in the past. There might be cheap online places but I wouldn’t know. As an aside, I wear varifocals (have done for years) but my prescription is strong/complex/expensive. So my riding specs are single vision and I can see the head unit OK.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.