Home Forums Bike Forum Prescription inserts for glasses

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Prescription inserts for glasses
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Generally speaking I cope fine most of the year with just not wearing glasses when I ride, takes a little while to adjust if I’ve been wearing my glasses all day but I soon don’t notice it. The difference is come winter and riding at night, which I’m planning on doing more of MTB wise this year, so I’m thinking of picking up a decent pair of glasses for all year round with the idea that over winter I’ll put the clear lenses in. I’ve spotted both the 100% S3 and some madison enigma glasses are both compatible with ‘rx inserts’, is it as simple as taking these inserts to an opticians with my prescription and they’ll fit some glass into them? I’ve tried googling but it wasn’t very helpful and doesnt seem like it’s something I can order online.

jkomo

Yes, it’s that simple.
    Single vision cost at specsavers is £40 plus another 35 if you want anti reflective lenses which increase the light transmission to 99 percent from about 94. Not sure if you’d notice, but it should eliminate internal reflections between the lens surfaces.

FOG

I found that with the inserts glasses steamed up much more than without. Not sure how you get round that as the inserts will always be closer to your face than normal glasses.

jkomo

Nominative determinism is a bastard.
    Yeah another set of lenses is the downside. On the road it’s fine, plenty of airflow, also sometimes the nose peice on the insert sits the whole thing a bit further out and can look shit. I’d check how they sit before you spend money on glazing them.

canapobikes
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Bollé B-Rock Pro glasses, and they’ve been pretty solid for me. The RX inserts were easy to get fitted with my prescription, and they do the job well, especially during night rides in winter. They’re comfortable, and I don’t really notice them once I’m out on the trail. If you’re considering a pair, they’re definitely worth a look

DrP

Following with interest…

I’ve got inserts for my FF and goggles… but that’s fine cos the goggles hold the insert further away.

For general day to day riding i’ve got some cheapish oakleys from an online glasses shop – they have the actual prescription lens in them. one pair is reactalite, the other clear. But..the lens is smallish, and i’d prefer a bigger lens.. may have a look at fancy options for some bigger lenses..

DrP

BigJohn

I just wear disposable contact lenses for riding and windsurfing.  Cheap, comfortable and you’ll probably find other times when they’re useful.

z1ppy

I bought a set of adidas with inserts & eventually dumped them, as they steamed up constantly. I really wanted to like them but it was a pain in the arse trying to wipe steam off 4 lens, while trying not to dislodge the inserts or dirty them on winter rides

ads678

If you have an old pair of sunnies/riding glasses, get them sent off to http://www.reglaze-glasses-direct.com and have some prescription lenses put in them.

jkomo

I just where normal glasses sunnies or reactions. I choose a sportyish frame, and the are okay.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Hmmm yeah I can’t afford the luxury of contact lenses all of the time but maybe it’s a good idea to give some a crack just for night riding and some other biking scenarios.

vmgscot

GF uses RX inserts and, as mentioned, they are really prone to fogging – more so in Winter.

I bought simple plastic “sports” prescription glasses off one of the online opticians for £30 or so (including the prescription) and they do the job just fine. Might not have the kudos of a “label” on the side but I can see properly.

fathomer

I’d defiantly recommend giving contacts a go. Most places do trials, you just have to go in for a consultation. You can just order them in the quantities you want as and when you need them. And they’re not actually that expensive, I wear them for nearly all cycling, wouldn’t be without them.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Ugh go in for a consultation, human contact! It’s bound to be a million miles away as well. (Wild exageration of the distance no doubt)

IHN

As I always say on these threads, I’ve got prescription (varifocal) sunnies and clear specs from Goggles4U, they cost about £30-£40 each. Quality is decent, not as good as my proper glasses from the opticians but then they cost ten times more (in fact more than ten times more). For riding they’re absolutely fine, and inexpensive enough to not worry too much about scratching/forgetting/dropping etc.

iainc

just wear disposable contact lenses for riding and windsurfing.  Cheap, comfortable and you’ll probably find other times when they’re useful.

slight thread diversion, but how do you keep them dry when windsurfing ?  I wear disposables when pool swimming, with a very strict regime of well sealed goggles on all the time.  I’d love to get back to windsurfing, with contacts, but a bit concerned about them getting wet/infection risk.

BigJohn

I’ve only recently switched from monthly to daily lenses so when I wore monthlies I managed to keep my eyes shut when underwater or in the shower. Not always ideal when the sail drops on top of you.
    But I rationalise that the infection risk of getting them wet is a monthlies problem only. And I wear glasses on non-sailing or cycling days.

DrP

I tried contacts – but i’ve an astygmatism, so the lens needs to be in a certain plane. Which, for the most part, they weren’t!

DrP

GolfChick
    Free Member

A quick glance on specsavers today had one labelled for that in particular. I thought that’s what I have too but the last eye test he said I could use contact lenses so who knows.

TiRed

I wear monthly disposable contacts for most cycling including TTs under the visor. Then. have an additional pair of reading glasses for work. I also have Rudy Rydons with Rx insert that I’ve worn for many years, They can be prone to steaming in wet and humid conditions, but so can ordinary glasses. Recently I have switched to some more on-trend larger Koo Alibi cycling glasses (hence the contacts) but have an Rx insert too. It gives worse vision, but is one less thing to think about. I could not fit bifocal or varifoocal lenses into the Rx insert which was a disappointment for signing on at events. It was almost impossible to source the clear Rx insert, as opposed to the black one which looked awful!

iainc

the infection risk of getting them wet is a monthlies problem only

is it ?  guidance seems to be same for dailies..

fathomer

@DrP I’ve got a astigmatism, I just wear toric lenses which work perfectly.

@GolfChick
    I think it depends on your astigmatism, which lots have, just depends how bad it is for needing toric lenses. FWIW, I can get by with standard lenses but the toric are better.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Interesting, well I’m going to book in with specsavers for some new contacts assessment so we’ll see.

BigJohn

is it ? guidance seems to be same for dailies..

I’m not saying I’m right!

But my “keeping eyes closed underwater unless really important” protocol seems to be managing OK and I’ve been wearing them for 10 years or more. Up to recently I’ve worn monthlies all day every day and only switched because my right eye gets a bit dry and the monthly lens falls out and gets lost. Dry eye? Maybe I should open them underwater after all.

iainc

^^^ :)

ads678

@DrP I’ve got a astigmatism, I just wear toric lenses which work perfectly.

@GolfChick
     I think it depends on your astigmatism, which lots have, just depends how bad it is for needing toric lenses. FWIW, I can get by with standard lenses but the toric are better.

I’ve had asthigmatism for ever, and its getting progressivley worse in both eyes. I used contact lenses for years and they were great, but was gradually working my way up the scale. I’ve most recently used XR Toric lenses but even they have got to a point where I can’t see anything for large periods as they can’t keep up with my eyes moving because of the shape of my eyes.

I’ve given up on them now, worked my way through the last sets I had but it’s pretty much glasses only for me now. I might try again in the future but they just don’t work for me with whats available at the moment.

quentyn

I was thinking about doing this and eventually just bought a pair of sports glasses with prescription lenses from my local optician. They are fitted into Oakley wrap around frames so they fit perfectly and seal against your face. I was going to buy a pair of sunglasses to match this year as these are clear but the weather was so bad I never ever ended up needing sunglasses

My prescription is quite significant so I would suggest that this will probably work for anybody

I think i paid £400 all in and most all that was my prescription lenses (mine are normally so expensive. I get the frames for free). The lenses are in some kind of ballistic plastic and claim to be quite tough. Given the cost of my normal glasses, they seem relatively cheap

Northwind

+1 for contacts, they’re a slight hassle but it’s overall a much better solution and means you can use whatever eyewear you like. Plus you can’t really lose ’em ;)

I do have an astigmatism but I just wear plain lenses, it wouldn’t be good for normal life but it’s proved a nonissue for riding. I don’t wear them for screen use or other stuff, literally just for riding (and for moshpits ;) )

But, it’s still handy to have riding glasses, especially for short rides or just when you can’t be arsed with contacts, so for that I went a slightly different route and got some Bolle safety glasses with prescription lenses. Much cheaper than the cheapest prescription cycling glasses I could find. They’re quite ugly but tbf most cycling glasses are hideous anyway so no great loss.

I don’t like the inserts personally, I don’t think it’s really a different that should matter having the relatively small lens but it bugged me.

duncancallum

I didn’t get on with contacts…

I’m at the point i need to consider glasses for riding again..

igm

I’m going to argue against contacts.

I’ve used them in the past and they’re great for emergencies, but…

I need glasses for riding or driving, but I can’t read with them on, so contacts mean I have to take reading glasses.

Not a huge problem really, but for a ride that might pop into the pub, or bike shop, or need a bit of impromptu trail side maintenance, I prefer glasses.

I splashed out on Oakley Flux 2.0 photochromic prescription ones – not cheap, really not cheap, but that was pre-pandemic and it’s only now that I’m thinking they’re getting a bit scratched.

YMMV regarding scratches and longevity but on an annualised basis, not that bad cost wise, and blinking excellent for riding, driving, gigs, cinema, and snowsports – all the things where you mix close and distance work.

I do use contacts with googles, and have a few pairs in the car in case I lose my glasses, but I much prefer the glasses.

Northwind

igm

need a bit of impromptu trail side maintenance

Ah this is a definite thing. I’d definitely on balance rather have contacts for all the riding, in return for any repairs being more awkward- basically I’ll take the thing that makes the good stuff better since that’s the entire reason I’m out there, and I don’t mind if the bad stuff is a little worse because it already sucks. But it’s definitely a consideration.

Fat-boy-fat

I gave up on contacts years ago after a couple of gritty eye issues and have used rad8 prescription transition riding specs since. Even though I’m a sweaty betty, they don’t seem to steam up that badly. Unfortunately, you can’t get prescription ones with the anti fog built in from rad8, but they give you a wee wipe to apply a coating when you clean your glasses and that works fine.

Highly recommended.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.