• This topic has 89 replies, 66 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by timba.
Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Practical things you just don’t understand
  • reeksy

That plumbing analogy worked out well 🙂

Turns out electricity conducts water.

nickc

From a ‘ I must get fitter’ perspective, learning the intricacies of your body’s ability to do work and take up nutrients, and the benefits of structured exercise routines should be right up my street, but I find both subjects so dense and laborious that after a couple of paragraphs into any training book or regime I’m bored. I can see the words, I understand the words, but the sentences may as well be 16thC mandarin for all the comprehension I can muster.

nickc

Understanding the basics of electricity as a way through to the practical wiring of your household appliances is about the same use as understanding Bernoulli’s principles of fluids is to landing a plane.

warton
    Free Member

wireless stuff – the radio, satellites…

witchcraft

mjsmke

Practical things are easy.
    Social etiquette is mind boggling.

kaylendickerson
    Free Member

Here’s the thing – there’s always something new to learn! Maybe your experience with mechanics translates to understanding how electrical circuits work. Amps, watts, and volts might seem confusing at first, but there are plenty of resources online and at your local library that can break it down. Who knows, you might surprise yourself and become a dab hand at electrical repairs!

On the other hand, there’s no shame in calling in a professional. Electricity can be dangerous if not handled properly, so it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

timba
    Free Member

Understanding the basics of electricity as a way through to the practical wiring of your household appliances is about the same use as understanding Bernoulli’s principles of fluids is to landing a plane.

+1 It’s Lego Mindstorms for grown-ups

Cougar

Lego Mindstorms for grown-ups

Lego Mindstorms isn’t for grown-ups?

But +/- symbols or referring in the guides as open or closed my brain says nope.

I have to stop and think every time I touch the dial in the fridge.  If I turn it from 3 to 4, does it get warmer or colder?

poly
    Free Member

Too much “pressure” on Mr Faraday’s Elastic Trickery will melt the wirse through which it flows – that’s why you can use a really thin cable for loudspeakers, and e.g. something a bit bigger for a mobile phone, but need a really thick one for an oven etc

but it’s not the volts (pressure) that determine this (just as you can put huge pressure into tiny bore pipes).  From a working out the size perspective it’s the amps that matter.  In fact to move a set amount of power (watts) it’s often easier to use smaller cable with much higher voltages.

timba
    Free Member

In fact to move a set amount of power (watts) it’s often easier to use smaller cable with much higher voltages.

Easier? More efficient with fewer losses. String the cables up high enough and you don’t need insulation either https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-electricity-pylons

There isn’t a neutral conductor when power is transmitted in 3-phases, just the three “lives”, it isn’t L, N and E on a pylon

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.