• This topic has 121 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)
  • "Potato Alley is better than the beast". Discuss.
  • hora
    Free Member

Sssshhh. Last time a topic/vid was posted up of us riding beast/cheeky/parkin etc I was royally flamed by Podge

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

^^^ better? 😉

kelvin

It’ll all be much better when DCC have smoothed them out with some nice tarmac shavings – then it’ll be properly quick

That’s what I was going to post… with a sad face at the end.

hora
    Free Member

The Beast looks like an ancient riverbed where a raging river used to rage which has been dammed/flow diverted.

Potato alley looks like something the Peak District council would do/attempt to resurface a bridleway.

IA

Not read all the thread, but you’re talking about The Beast as a climb right? 😉

That’s the man’s way to take the beast.

Pook

Your face looks like an ancient river bed that some scallies have thrown a shopping trolley and road cone in.

ahwiles
    Free Member

they’re both rubbish, boring ways to waste all that lovely elevation.

and they’re both accessed by rubbish, boring ways to gain elevation.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Years ago I would have said the Beast. The satisfaction of getting down with no dabs on a fully rigid bike with canti brakes and toe clips cannot be underestimated. However nowadays – aided by disc brakes and full suspension – I reckon PA takes it for sheer high(ish) speed fun.

hora
    Free Member

stilltortoise not so long ago I rode the beast without a helmet on a c456. It was either ride or drive back home. For once I actually relaxed and I reckon I went quicker. At the bottom though there were 4-5riders relaxing who threw alot of scorn my way for riding it sans-helmet.

cb

The “track between the two”…if one were to inadvertently lose one’s way, where would one stumble upon the beginning of this track, at all times being totally unaware of breaching the righteous and totally appropriate ‘regulations’ concerning the improper use of foot based transportation highways…?

banks
    Free Member

+1 for this ‘narnia’ trail.

thepodge
    Free Member

You’d find it by going and looking for it.

Narnia is almost as obvious to anyone with a modicum of curiosity as the beast or potato, its just some stuff people have built in the woods, its not a right of way, it is private land.

The one that Me, Pook & Tom had a go at Hora for isn’t a right of way either but its out in the open meaning its easily visible to walkers / rangers / general moaning bods and is fun because its not been ridden a million time as isn’t 10 foot wide with an ever expanding chicken run down the side of it.

hora
    Free Member

Fancy a look this weekend (couple this with the cheeky ‘higher up’?)

I’ll need to take my Ardent off the rear though I imagine.

thepodge
    Free Member

no, you wont like it & will mince / moan. just like you did when Morton, Tom, Me & pook went in there and you didn’t tell anyone & went down the beast instead.

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

Can we not share a little extra detail??

You are not referring to Parkin Clough as that is not inbetween the starts of Beast / PA…..

I have pushed up through some woods to the right of the beast (as you look up it) one winter in 6ft of snow (possible embelishment for good of story)….but can’t imagine this is what you are talking about….

More info appreciated – as locals should stick together 😉

Pook

I think I can have a look this weekend. Sunday morning again barring lurgy

christhetall
    Free Member

The Beast is harder and steeper, which is precisely why I generally prefer Potato Alley ! Hard enough to make you think, but not so hard you need to have your brakes full on.

Plus after doing PA, you’ve got an easy climb and then do Lockerbroke – an even better descent IMHO

hora
    Free Member

Cool. It was lonely on Sunday morning. Podge shut up or I’ll publish all the cheeky in a VGraphic’s new edition 😆

rogerthecat
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member
    Years ago I would have said the Beast. The satisfaction of getting down with no dabs on a fully rigid bike with canti brakes and toe clips cannot be underestimated.

Is that no dabs totally, or are we applying Podge’s Peak Park Dabbing Rules V23 revision 2?

MrNice
    Free Member

For those who don’t know it, Narnia is the one that used to have a door for a gate so it was (supposedly) like going through the back of the wardrobe. I realize that describing it as “the one that used to have a door for a gate” is unhelpful if you weren’t there 10 years ago. If you need a hint it’s before you get to hope cross but it may be crap as I’ve not ridden it in years.

banks
    Free Member

Know what you mean now, pretty shonky but fun. The beast is still better mind.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Zzzz

sprocker
    Free Member

Bit damp on that narnia at the minute best saved for drier times

tuffty
    Free Member

The Beast is beyond my abilities so for me potato alley is best. Cavedale is nice too as long as I have left my bike at home and I am walking my dog 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

rogerthecat – Is that no dabs totally, or are we applying Podge’s Peak Park Dabbing Rules V23 revision 2?

“No member of the ride should ever report for active duty in a ginger toupee”? Thats an unusual one to apply in this instance.

Pook

Always important though.

chrismac

Potato Alley for me. Partly because it links in to the rideable climb unto Hagg farm over the road leaving a decent from hag farm on the way back

hora
    Free Member

My word. We have a Red Dwarfesque gag

ampthill

I have no idea so i googled it

Strava time for Potatoe Alley is 1:45

The Beast is only 1:03

I’ll get my coat

Anyone riding the Beast in 1.03 is sessioning on a DH bike – seen em doing it tbh.

That or a crosser.

banks
    Free Member

That, or a decent rider.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

‘Beast DH’ segment was done in 1:15.
    KOM guy, not sure what bike, is very rapid WC DH rider but level KOM was Yeti SB66 with Fox 34s. And a decent rider!

2:30-3 shows Potato – good fun when ridden like that!
    https://vimeo.com/m/25308177

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^The problem is with riding that fast is that all of the routes in the Peak District suddenly feel very small. At least at my speed I get a decent day out 😆

hora
    Free Member

1.03? Pfhh. I set that time in the vet

D0NK

did the beast yonks ago and didn’t rate it, did it again recently and thought it was alright (I’m not a big fan of wet rock, had it been dry I may have really liked it) Yonks ago I preferred PA, not ridden down it recently so dunno how they compare but the beast does have one (or two) of the few corners that the peak district has to offer, so it’s got that going for it.

MrNice
    Free Member

2:30-3 shows Potato – good fun when ridden like that!

down the chicken run on the side, do you mean?

But then it’s “his back yard, also known as the Peak District”. I guess he can do what he likes if it’s his.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Strava time for Potatoe Alley is 1:45

I can do that if chuck my Garmin off the top – hang on, didn’t I find one halfway down on the Pootle? Someone needs an extra Weetabix!! 😀

dirtyrider
    Free Member

who says 29ers are shit downhill?

http://www.strava.com/segments/1229247

sub 2 minutes for me

Pook

Paul, you weren’t the one who ran half the way back up to tell its owner…. Weetabix for me please

hora
    Free Member

Today I found a track through a petrified village off Hope Cross. Was ‘ok’. Anyone else know that singletrack? Plus I got my ear pulled by the logging lads. I tried sneaking up but was collared. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘"Potato Alley is better than the beast". Discuss.’ is closed to new replies.