Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Posts for a hammock (structure help)
  • Jolsa

In anticipation of another gorgeous summer, I’m planning on sticking a couple of posts in the ground to hang a hammock between.

Two 4×4″ posts dug in 3-3.5m apart. Will add concrete mix, and will also be using a round pole to act as a brace between the two posts at the top.

A bit like this:

||——————–||
    || ||
    || ||
    || ||
    || ||
    || ||

Question is, will 3m posts be long enough given that they have to stand at just over head height?

Is 2/3 above ground and 1/3 dug in adequate? (given that the horizontal pole should act to stop the posts from falling in)

Edit: Forgot to mention soil is clay rather than sandy.

Jolsa

Ok, the attempt at a diagram didn’t quite work 🙂

Mackem

wouldnt something like this nit be better?

Jolsa

It’s going on an allotment hence using posts in which will have karabiner hooks for the hammock.

Above stand would be nice, but can’t afford the footprint!

wrightyson
    Free Member

If you sink a 4×4 3m post 1 m into the ground in clay and concrete it in I can almost guarantee it won’t move **** all.

brack
    Free Member

Ditto

10ft post 3 ft under

Solid as a rock

Stoner
    Free Member

Jolsa – I mad my own pair of these out of some ally bar lying around. Matched with some carabiners it makes adjusting the hammock for sag and pre-load a doddle!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320872909241

Mikeypies
    Free Member

before you use concrete check your tenancy agreement first

Stoner
    Free Member

you dont necessarily need to use concrete. well tamped back fill of small stone/gravel/sand will do the job.

joat

At that depth, as long as the clay is dryish (i.e. you can’t get all ‘Ghost’ with it) it will be strong enough, just back fill and tamp a little at a time.

Jolsa

Thanks all for the comments, good to hear.

Stoner, the Amazonas fixings are what I’ll probably be getting (it’s an Amazonas Barbados hammock). Either the Easy+ or Smartropes similar to the sort you’ve made.
    http://www.amazonas.eu/en/accessories.html

Just need to figure out whether I need the flexibility of the Smartrope or whether the Easy+ onto the posts will do given the space I’m working in.

May reconsider the concrete use, possibly overkill given that I’m using a horizontal pole to counteract the posts being pulled inwards.

tymbian
    Free Member

A small amount or type 1 ( hardcore ) tamped around the posts enough to fill the holes will stop any movement as stoner said. Make sure any backfill aggregate is angular.

ps. You can’t successfully tamp/ compress wet soil or clay.

charliedontsurf

You need damned strong posts, the leverage is mental.

I use posts but have guy lines off the back, going through a mental eye bolt thing at the top of the post and then attach the hammock with carabiners.

Or use a horizontal post as you say.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Posts for a hammock (structure help)’ is closed to new replies.