Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Posting bars?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve sold a set of bars (685mm wide) through the classifieds for £15.

Just been down to they post office to post them to be told that they want £12 postage “because it’s a large parcel” which is somewhat ridiculous IMO.

So can anyone recommend a cheaper way to get them to their new owner, or am I into refund territory?

I’d reckon on spending well less than a fiver to post something of that weight and value.

Thanks!

wwaswas

they changed rules a week or so back – it used to be that they only went by the width and height but now they have a length restriction to.

go to parcels2go or somewhere – one of the courier co’s will take it for a fiver.

chakaping
    Free Member

collect plus, you book online and drop them at your local Spar or whatever

shoudl be £5 or less

cp

myhermes will take it for 4 quid something.

collect plus have a 60cm length limit

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 Collect plus.

cp

have the folk recommending c+ actually successfully sent wide bars with them? 685mm + packaging is well over 60cm….

Paulio
    Free Member

I’ve recently sent some 680 bars with the UPS version of collect + through parcel2go and it cost about £7. I’ve not had the best experiences of Hermes so the extra couple of pounds was worth it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My Hermes have been great, sold a set of bars to Renton recently, 750mm wide, £4.20 postage. RM wanted 12.96, collect+ Had the 600mm limit.

plyphon
    Free Member

I literally used myhermes yesturday for a set of bars.

£4.20 including picking it up from my front door.

razorrazoo

+1 for MyHermes. Just sold a load of stuff on ebay and posted via them, all packages went fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

have the folk recommending c+ actually successfully sent wide bars with them? 685mm + packaging is well over 60cm….

Yes I’ve sent boxes 10 or 20cm over the limit.

They don’t appear to care.

cybicle
    Free Member

Saw them in half, thus reducing the overall length to within the defined limits for cheaper postage.

Simples! 🙂

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Collect+ also leave parcels on the path outside your front door in the pouring rain if no one is in (unless you have paid extra for the signed for service presumably).

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Stick them in a tube – even one you make yourself by rolling a cardboard sheet up.

As long as length + 2x diameter is less than 104cm then it’s classed as a medium parcel. Had the same argument with our post office. Their literature didn’t mention it, but the website states it clearly here.

Orangejohn
    Free Member

The full text states: –

‘Rolls or Cylinders Length plus twice the diameter at a maximum of 104cm. Greatest dimension no more than 90cm’.

‘Up to and including 45cm in length, 8cm in diameter and 2kg in weight can be sent as a Small Parcel’.

My reading suggests that the max size for small parcels is 45cm.

I hope I am wrong!

scaredypants

Our local PO is probably going to close and reappear as a downgraded cubbyhole in a shop corner – owner says the new parcel prices have dried up most of his business (he says some of the crapper ideas have been reversed/revised but he’s now lost the regular business to other carriers)

cp

Length plus twice the diameter at a maximum of 104cm
    Greatest dimension no more than 90cm
    Up to and including 45cm in length, 8cm in diameter and 2kg in weight can be sent as a Small Parcel

So you can send a roll or tube up to 90cm in length. but it wont go as a small parcel as its length is over 45cm. The price checker bit of their website says for tubes over 45cm and under 90cm, then they go as medium parcels.

Cheaper than they used to be before a couple of weeks ago…

BUT, wow, extracting info from the website is painful, and they have so many categories they’re just shooting themselves in the foot. I can’t see this as going well at all for royal mail, and especially all the post offices that are left.

kevin1911

I’ve also been using My Herpes for handlebars. Guy who comes to collect them is probably the most miserable person I’ve ever met though. Earlier this year, I stepped out my shed when when I saw him coming so I could take the parcels to him. I stood on a rock outside the shed, went over, breaking my foot in the process. He just took the parcels off me and left me on the floor, didn’t bat an eyelid….

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Posting bars?’ is closed to new replies.