• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by kcal.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Postgraduate accommodation Glasgow
  • docrobster
    Free Member

Hi all, long time since I’ve been on here, but I’ve a question I suspect I might get some helpful advice on so here goes…

Youngest is 22 and he’s just accepted an offer to do a masters in Glasgow this September. Seems that student digs are in high demand and some are very expensive. He’ll be at the school of art but pretty flexible about travel, where should he be looking in terms of postcodes, and what would anyone recommend as a reputable landlord or agency to use? He doesn’t want super duper posh flats. As an undergraduate in Manchester he stayed a big terrace with 6 other art students- thinking smaller will probably be better- so where are all the cheap terraced houses with lovely neighbours and great amenities for <£500 pcm?

cheers!

moonsaballoon

We had a 1 bedroom tenement style flat that we rented out for less than £500 in the east end of paisley. People will joke about Paisley but we never had any problems and the area around Glasgow road puts you close to 2 train stations which are 10 minutes into Glasgow central .

It’s a while since I rented , but £500 a month should  get you a room in a flat share in the nicer trendier parts of the city . West end , merchant city , Shawlands and dennistoun are probably the best places to start and all give you food access to the city centre.

MadBillMcMad

No help other than to say he’ll love it. My eldest has been in Glasgow for the last three years and loves the place. Great food and coffee culture and obviously easy access to them there hills

greenfold
    Free Member

My daughter did her Masters in Glasgow and stayed in an expensive dark and damp basement flat in the West End. Doing a PhD in Edinburgh now but refused to leave Glasgow as she loves it so much. She now rents a 2 bed flat in Cardonald and her share is around £330 a month. She’d looked round Paisley and would have happily rented there. TLDR West End is lively and desirable for students but expensive!

poly
    Free Member

so where are all the cheap terraced houses with lovely neighbours and great amenities for <£500 pcm?

manchester!

dyna-ti

500 isnt a lot really for a nice area. Southside – langside, battlefield, cathcart will probably set you back 650-700 for a 1 bed. West end is a fair bit more. maybe 900-1200 though you can get a 2bed for about that and find someone to share with.

Obviously cheaper if you move to places like Dennison or further east or west, but the problem with the cheaper areas is the crime rate is a lot higher, especially interpersonal crime.

Never really looked at rental prices where I am and pretty shocked what a 3 bed(my gaff) rents out at.

Sorry, I dont have any room 😆 need the spare bedrooms for my bikes and workshop

irc

Top, tip. Try Govan. Not fashionable and I wouldn’t drink in the pubs but my daughter has lived in a flat there for a few years with no interpersonal crime issues. Look for close to subway for easy access to west end or city center.Share a 2 bed for under £500 a month each.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E65687&sortType=1&propertyTypes=&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=

Also there is a new footbridge being built over the Clyde at which point the west end with pubs I do drink in will be a short walk away.

https://glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=30453

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Glasgow Uni? If he can’t get near the uni (it is expensive in the West End) then it’d be handy to stay somewhere near a train station that serves Partick station. Its easy to get to from points east, west and north of the city centre via train, and has a subway station, so easy access to Hillhead and the uni.
    Or, somewhere near a subway station, like Govan, as someone else already said. Govan might be a bit of a shitehole, but you can say that for pretty much the whole of Greater Glasgow nowadays.

BoardinBob

Renting in Glasgow is an absolute nightmare these days. Prices are astronomical and demand is huge. Every flat in a remotely desirable area will have a massive list of applicants. Potential tenants are offering things like a year’s rent up front to try and secure places.

We sold our southside flat back in 2020 just as the first lockdown ended and we planned to rent for 6 months to see how the economy went. We failed to get a rental flat near where we were and ended up having to move further out to what actually ended up being a brilliant 3 bedroom house with a garden and driveway for less than what we would have paid for a flat where we were.

A colleague of mine has just moved from Manchester to Glasgow and he was shocked at how hard it was to secure a rental flat. He finally managed to get a 2 bed in the west end but he’s paying about £1600 a month for the privilege!

finbar
    Free Member

Are you my neighbour?

Obviously not, but v. similar – their son started a postgrad at Glasgow uni last September.

I don’t know what he ended up renting, but his dad was livid that he’d left finding accomodation so late and was footing the bill for something that (from father’s perspective at least) was ruinously expensive. So it’s good your child is sorting things relatively early.

shuhockey
    Free Member

Not accommodation related but please make sure they have checked out the Scholarship pages as these often go to waste and Uni’s are desperate for Home PGT students.

docrobster
    Free Member

Thanks for all the tips peeps. I can see this will be a bit of task for us to sort out. He’s doing the masters part time over 2 years and planning to get a job for several days a week, but even that won’t cover some of these rentals being quoted! He’s at Glasgow school of art not the uni of, so I’m not sure what difference that makes. I did mention scholarships to him so I’ll mention that again, thanks for the tip… and I’ll show him that Govan bridge link…

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

The Art School is better, as its in town, so you can get trains into Central or Queen Street from all over the place. Not too bad for the subway too.
    I have many fond, if hazy, memories of the year a mate shared a flat in Garnethill while he was at uni.

Not sure how these work, but Glasgow seems overrun with dedicated student housing developments. Might be worth a look.

irc

If hehas  someone to share so can go up to £1000 a month this flat is in a brilliant location.  Safe area.   I lived and worked near  here for a few years.  Walking distance from Art School. Walking distance from loads of good pubs. Close to Kelvin Walkway and canal bank for off road jogging or cycling. Walking distance  from Byres Road.  Very close to underground.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/145521362#/?channel=RES_LET

I wouldn’t rule Govan out if the price was very good. This is a far nicer local area though. If we were moving back to the city from the suburbs we would be looking in this sort of area.

kormoran
    Free Member

Didn’t want to post earlier and add to the gloom but I see that’s been done already!

I think you will need to adjust expectations on what is available and at what price. I was Edinburgh based but I think Glasgow is likely to be similar and from what people are posting above that seems to be the case. I lived in a tiny two room ground floor flat in Leith and rent on those was well north of 800/900. A tenement one bed probably pushing 700

It’s crazy, there is intense demand. From what I am seeing on Facebook property pages, 500 gets you a room in a house share. People are desperate to find somewhere to move to, I regularly see tales of people accepting job offers but are then unable to find accommodation, or at least affordable accommodation

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Just had a poke around on Rightmove…Christ almighty. £700 pcm for an unfurnished 1 bedroom flat in Dennistoun?

docrobster
    Free Member

Righto, I think he’s expecting a room in a shared house to be fair. Doesn’t know anyone up there to flat share with, just has a mate from school in Edinburgh, other than that we’ve some distant relatives in Kilmarnock and an old uni mate at Lochwinnock but I think that would be a bit of a stretch!

useful info to mull over, thanks everyone

sharkbait
    Free Member

manchester!

That was a joke right?!!

docrobster
    Free Member

https://crosswayestates.com/properties/7-lausanne-road/

this was my lad’s pad for 2 years… he paid £118/week £507 a month bills included. It’s now £60 a month without bills… so yeah it’s the same everywhere

He’s found a few options around this price in garnethill. Just needs someone to live with now…

kcal

Daughter was at GSA a couple of years ago — although never actually in the ‘real’ building – started just as the original burned down, and then was still there when the replacement also went on fire. Then went through to Edinburgh College of Art to do  masters over two years.

At first she was in their GSA flats – Margaret Macdonald – but hated it, flatmates were awful. Not sure if they have a postgrad section. Strathclyde do, and maybe Glasgow Uni might support postgrads at the affiliated GSA.   Worth a try initially.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.