Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Possible Career change? what's good to work as.
  • lovewookie

Getting somewhat peeved with work at the moment, so wondering what else I could do for a change?

Currently working as a contaminated land remediation contractor. Best parts of the job are the sciency bits and the building bespoke remediation kit. Worst are the long hours, the rubbish pay and recently very little job satisfaction as it all gets sucked up by the hoop jumping and the red tape.

So, I've a degree in Applied Geochemistry a masters in Environmental Biogeochemistry, most of a PhD, and 6 years experience in the above industry.

I've pretty much turned my hand to anything, which has helped with the variety of jobs in my current role, but anything from developing perfumes for soaps to materials science R&D and chemistry and physics analytical labs.

I also run the works IT system badly, mostly badly as I've not been trained, but do it as a favour and it does for the smaller issues.

Pay is of course an issue, I'm on just over £25k at the moment, so wouldn't mind staying around there.

Anything I can do.

Apart from pron.
    or stripping

My wife wouldn't like it you see..

Thanks

Wookie.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Don't become a contaminated land consultant

Hope that helps

grynch
    Free Member

you got a bad job and your wife doesnt like it when you strip`?

life s*cks.

( my wife just asks me to turn out the lights )

duckman

Come and teach! Best job I have ever had (plasterer for 20 years)

DezB
    Free Member

I also run the works IT system badly, mostly badly as I've not been trained, but do it as a favour and it does for the smaller issues.

Steer away from that area! Unless you like unrewarding work.

rkk01
    Free Member

contaminated land remediation contractor

contaminated land consultant

I'll sit back and watch this thread with interest….

Stoner
    Free Member

alternative energy/microgeneration specification and installation.

Accredited installer in solar thermal, solar PV, biomass boilers etc etc. If the RHI legislation comes out as well as it should there should be quite the growth in experienced installers required. Basic plumbing skills as a base and then an appreciation for the subtlety of the new system which for some reason most plumbes seem unable to do…

jimmy

don't chase money.

thus spake jimmy.

pedalhead
    Free Member

What he said! Although, you're likely to earn a bit more than £25k I'd imagine.

ourmaninthenorth

Finish your doctorate?

Join a consultancy and become a contaminated land consultant?

z1ppy

DezB – Member

Dunno about unrewarding, I always have got job satisfaction from having happy users. Unforutnately my employer has just announced our out sourcing offically, hense why I was poking round this thread..

Any new careers for an IT bod with bugger all qualification, (except time in the job), who hates ppl as a rule?

ourmaninthenorth

Any new careers for an IT bod with bugger all qualification, (except time in the job), who hates ppl as a rule?

You sound ideally suited to a career in
    IT.

z1ppy

noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

mogrim

I quite like IT, the long hours and the stress can be a bit much at times, but it's interesting, and the pay's good.

IHN

What do you teach?

duckman

History, and Modern Studies (should Angus Council finally see the light)

Junkyard
    Free Member

iirc he does History – EDIT:well he beat me to it

Electrician will be shortage industry in future as hard apprenticeship programme.

freddyg
    Free Member

z1ppy. Where are you based?

I'm currently working for a large international who are looking for technical architecture types.

I'm also down to the final two for a position in a small company in an influential IT role. The company is rapidly expanding so may need to recruit soon – one of my remits would be to "sort out" the existing IT staff. At the second interview, the MD let slip that they have 'personel'* issues.

(*read poorly motivated, underpaid, grumpy types)

FuzzyWuzzy

IT covers a pretty broad range of things, some jobs are dull and repetitive and others are interesting and challenging. With no qualifications though you'll probably be starting on the dull/repetitive side of the things. If you have good experience and do want to get into IT then it probably wouldn't hurt to self-fund a couple of MS server certs

marcus
    Free Member

I must be very easily satisfied, because i find working in the Contaminated Land Industry interesting, rewarding and reasonably well paid. What is it that seems to annoy the above posters ?

z1ppy

Freddy W. Mids but I am that underpaid gruppy IT bloke.. Not exactly management material…
    My problem is users tend to like me (I take ownership of issues & not pass the buck) but management don't (as I take ownership of problems and not pass the buck)

sorry to hi-jack the thread btw (was meant to be ironic, though I am after a job/new career)

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Electrician will be shortage industry in future as hard apprenticeship programme.

Sorry to interupt, and deviate slightly, but is that true ? I only ask as I'm doing IT stuff because no one would take me on as an apprenctice spark as I was too old (30 and a bit). I did all my papers (well, nearly all of them) at my own expense, but was told I needed "time on site", which I couldn't get…because I needed experience to get work. Gave up and went back to IT, but would really like to go back to doing electrical work again. Don't know how I'm going to do it.

IT stuff is ok, but it does depend on what you want to specialize in. Some areas are a lot more interesting than others.

Hi all btw.

freddyg
    Free Member

Where in the W.Mids?

If I'm succesful, my new role will be in Leicester. I haven't got a problem with grumpy types – I'm pretty good at it too. And, in my experience (of 25+ years) IT qualifications do not neccesarily a good IT chappy make. Give me someone with experience first, qualifications second. I know several young chaps here who have qualifications coming out of their ears, but know nothing.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Teechers get wikid holadays and eezy job but sents of humor is importent unles u r a dik

yossarian
    Free Member

left handed bricklayer

grittyshaker
    Free Member

By all means become a teacher. Aspects of my job are incredibly rewarding and, of course, the terms and conditions are good.

It's by no stretch "the hardest job in the world" but it is demanding in ways that the current TDA adverts don't portray. I work in Further Education, teaching IT to youngsters with "bugger all qualification, except time in education, and who hate people as a rule". 😉

I'm in the process of diversifying into primary outdoor and environmental education to try to bring a bit more creativity into my work.

firestarter
    Free Member

wtf did mark say 🙂 you gotta be padded fred

z1ppy

Otherside (stourbridge) unfortunately, & as I'm sat in Leicester today. Currently do 2 days a week over here, I know I wouldn't be able to do it 5 days.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mr MC spent 7 years of studying science got his PhD, disappeared to America to do a post doc, hated the actual work but had an awesome time riding and climbing in the States, came back to UK ended up doing another post doc, then go job doing some science research so after more than 12 years of science similar reasons to you, pay rubbish etc etc he jacked it in to be a copper and loves it.

Worth looking at completely new careers and there will be enough people on here with varying jobs to give you advice.

Copper, awesome fun (can be poop at times like any job), shift work (pros and cons to that but I'd never go back to doing Mon-Fri 9-5pm), pay quite good after probationary period. Very different every day and can be rewarding.Don't really need any qualifications and previous experience isn't needed either 😉

Kato

I've got a degree in Geology and spent 12 years working in the cartographic industry. Got to my 30's and decided I hated my job and everything associated with it and working in an office. Was left with a real dilemma as to what to do with myself because of having to retrain etc

Now i'm a copper. Never thought I'd see myself in a job like that, but I wish I'd done it years ago. I really enjoy it and I'd never go back to a Monday-Friday grind.

Not for everyone mind you

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Kato it's weird isn't it once you have got used to shifts! Same story as Mr MC really!! Interesting.

CaptJon
    Free Member

If you know people at a local uni try a KTP for a bit.

Clink

We've been here before 😀
    Been teacher for 12/13 years – desperately now trying to leave!

snowslave

Hey, why don't you be Mark Datz's English teacher?

lovewookie

thanks. I think finishing writing up the phd would require funding. Food for thought though. Teaching may be an option, though maybe i should be a copper!

NikNak7890
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

alternative energy/microgeneration specification and installation.

Accredited installer in solar thermal, solar PV, biomass boilers etc etc. If the RHI legislation comes out as well as it should there should be quite the growth in experienced installers required. Basic plumbing skills as a base and then an appreciation for the subtlety of the new system which for some reason most plumbers seem unable to do…

Now, as a disillusioned Engineer, I'm interested in that.
    Where should I look for respected training & qualifications?

GreatWhyte
    Free Member

civil servant (job for life) nice pension, etc etc

Clink

though maybe i should be a copper

That's what I'm trying to do at the moment.

RichPenny
    Free Member

What do you enjoy doing? Having spent so long in education you must enjoy the learning environment, so teaching would seem obvious. Personally I always loved music but lacked creative talent. I did an Eng apprenticeship, repaired musical instruments then worked for a manufacturer of studio gear. Currently run the test department for a major uk hifi company. It's a brilliant job, but doing the essentially the same thing elsewhere could be horrific. IME it's as much about the company as the job.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Lovewookie, how much have you got to do to finish your PhD? Don't know what your family circs are but Mr MC suggests finishing your PhD then disappearing abroad to do a post doc. He loved every minute of his 2 years in the Appalachians, mountain biking, climbing, flood lit skiing 45 minutes away. mr MC reckons it's worth doing, he said the money in the States for post doc is good tax free on a 2 year visa. Even if you don't actually enjoy the post doc (he didn't) he still had the best 2 years of his life (until he met me 😉 )

Or jack it in and join the plod! If you want to e-mail me with any questions/advice I'm willing to give an honest opinion. The interesting thing about police is the breadth in the job, afer your 2 year probationary shift period you can be a droid (traffic), surveillance, be a detective, mounted, fire arms, intelligence, counter terrorism, police the police…. I could carry on! But seriously if you want to drop me a line feel free (although I'm off to the US tomorrow for 10 days snowboarding, but when I'm back I'll be free).

Oh yeah and you get job security and a good pension.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Possible Career change? what's good to work as.’ is closed to new replies.