Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • porridge!!
  • ton

sat eating some now…..not got the same appeal as a bacon and egg banjo has it?………. 🙁

PiknMix
    Free Member

Depends what else you put in with it, you will feel better for eating it over a bacon and egg banjo (wtf is a banjo in culinary terms?)

rewski
    Free Member

try porridge with bacon and egg.

I have cold porridge with apple juice and berries, much nicer after a sweaty ride.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve been having it for breakfast for months now and I’m not bored of it yet, I have mine with a chopped up banana and squirt of honey. Ideally left to soak in the fridge overnight then cooked on the hob so you can stir it properly for a smoother texture 😀

ffej
    Free Member

wtf is a banjo in culinary terms?

Imagine you’re biting into a nice fried egg roll.. yolk nice and runny.. it runs out of the bread onto your shirt… the sweeping motion you make with your hand to clear the egg runoff is what makes it a banjo.

Jeff

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Been having it for years- my cholesterol is nice and low too! Chopped banana, some added oat bran, chi spice, pinch of salt, and a pile of fresh fruit on top + nuts and seeds = fantastic breakfast!

chvck
    Free Member

Gives me really intense deja vu and nausea for a few minutes around half the time that I eat it. For that reason I only eat it rarely which is a pity 🙁

PiknMix
    Free Member

Imagine you’re biting into a nice fried egg roll.. yolk nice and runny.. it runs out of the bread onto your shirt… the sweeping motion you make with your hand to clear the egg runoff is what makes it a banjo.
    Jeff

Thank you. Sounds minging!

fasthaggis

not got the same appeal as a bacon and egg banjo has it

Never mind,soon be lunchtime 😉

theotherjonv

Do you salt your porridge? makes it taste much better, even if you then sweeten it as well.

gordimhor

Jeff I was with you until”yolk nice and runny” surely you meant a hard yolk with a little curry powder sprinkled on top. 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i am trying porridge made with water this week and bizarrely it’s way nicer than with milk.

1 cup of oats and 2 cups of water (pinch of salt) – soak overnight, microwave for 3:30 in the morning. Sunflower seeds and raisins 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

porridge is more or less pointless*.

about an hour after a bowl i’m so hungry i could eat my own arm off – only i don’t have the strength.

a bowl of muesli, or beans on toast and i’m good for hours.

(*it’s a good vehicle for honey and bananas though…)

rusty90
    Free Member

Making porridge edible since 1885

TiRed

1/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup milk, 2:40 at 900W in microwave. Apfelmus. Eat.

It’s diesel for the commute. Golden syrup is another fuel additive.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Eat porridge with fruit every morning, walk the dog for hour and half and then back for a bacon egg and mushroom sandwich.
    Balanced diet innit.

Yak

hmmm porridge.

I make a thick mix, barely cooked. Got to be stiff enough to make into a mountain shape. Then cover in nuts, raisins, maybe a chopped banana, pour on a little milk and then drizzle in honey.

Perfect pre-ride or cold weather breakfast.

Obviously not as good as bacon and eggs for general chozz-fest mornings though.

brooess
    Free Member

Porridge is like sex. You can’t just turn up and expect it to be amazing. It’s all the extra little tricks you play which make it come alive 😀

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

porridge is like sex ! I’ve heard some advertising claims but thats a winner !

you have it in morning and it makes you feel sick

porridge is like sex – cold and lumpy , porridge is like sex , you need fruit to perk it up …………………..I suffer from redibrek

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

End of thread !

kcal

1/2 cup Hamlyns. 1 cup water. pinch salt. cook in pan for maybe 10 mins, just bubbling (think pools in Thunderbirds and so on). Serve, dollop of double cream, splash of milk.

slowoldman

Jumbo oats, full fat milk. Stir continuously whilst cooking in an anti clockwise direction with a wooden implement (for preference a spirtle but a large spoon will do).

Definitely need salt and Golden Syrup.

Mrs SOM adds stuff – banana, random bits of fruit etc. I call that adulteration.

kcal

ah, the anti clockwise bit.. my mum used to berate me for that, I thought it was because it affected the taste but it’s just plain superstition on invoking the devil. So that’s OK..

Spurtle, agreed.

Can’t fault much of tis recipe, actually — http://www.hamlynsoats.co.uk/recipes/breakfast-ideas/duncan-hilditch-s-porridge/

benslow
    Free Member

I like it to resemble a ‘soggy flapjack’ – (STW quote from a year or so back !)

Then syrup and poss raisins.

Not so keen on it when cooked for ages and is all slimey.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘porridge!!’ is closed to new replies.