Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 413 total)
  • Popups/ redirects
  • oldtalent
    Free Member

Jesus is everyone on here my dad? Other browsers are available that will prevent this, even though some seem to think its against the law to use them.

DrJ

Other browsers are available that will prevent this

Which phone browser, AAMOI ?

RustySpanner

Well, if it’s a choice between Chrome and STW, Chrome would win.

As I said, I’m a subscriber so it only affects me when logged out.

No idea how non subscribers cope.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m using Samsung’s proprietory browser (it’s just called ‘internet’ lol) and I haven’t had any pop-ups since the update. Android Nougat also

Riofer
    Free Member

Old talent, every other website I visit works on the browsers I use why is STW the exception? Why should I have to change browsers when the rest of the Internet just works?

scotroutes

I’m a subscriber (until it runs out).

You know I’m a subscriber.

Please stop spamming me with pop-ups for issue 118.

This isn’t rocket science. You have feedback from your customers that you are choosing to ignore. That ends one way.

lucky7500

I’m using Samsung’s proprietory browser (it’s just called ‘internet’ lol) and I haven’t had any pop-ups since the update. Android Nougat also

+1

I’m using Samsung’s browser as well and have never had a popup or redirect.

jimjam
    Free Member

oldtalent

Jesus is everyone on here my dad? Other browsers are available that will prevent this, even though some seem to think its against the law to use them.

Discussing or advocating pop-up blockers is a banning offence as far as I’m aware, even though it would seem they are an essential tool for using this forum.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just been in my settings.

It seems that at some point stws adverts have inserted an exception for allowing pop ups

“www.singletrackworld.co.uk/416”

I’ve just removed this and it’s stopped the mad pop up shit although I get the message saying 16pop ups blocked even to post this….

Let’s see how long it lasts

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m using Samsung’s browser as well and have never had a popup or redirect.

That is probably because your P means all ads are disabled.

lucky7500

That is probably because your P means all ads are disabled.

No. I’ve been on the site for long periods of time while logged out to see what all the fuss is about and have still never had anything. I’ve also never been logged out while on the site.

leffeboy

I think it also depends on where you are. I’m in belgium and never have any problem logged out in Android either.  But I do believe the problem is real

yunki
    Free Member

It’s clearly a cyber attack from ninfan, thm, jambalaya and the forum’s various other Russian agents.

yunki
    Free Member

I can tell you that during the night into the early hours it has always been the case that threads would come to a halt and the would be several hours old on the frontpage.

Only when no-one is posting.. why’s it doing it now?

riklegge

I’m a subscriber and appear to be getting an advert pop-up at the top of the screen when I’m logged in (chrome on android), getting frustrating…

CountZero

Have you, or anyone else, tried DuckDuckGo? It’s what I’m using on my Pad, I’m not using Safari with DuckDuckGo selected as my default search, I’m using the separate app, and it’s working fine, it’s showing a number of trackers blocked, including Google, Facebook, Adtech, Criteo and Skimlinks. I’ve just had a look, and DuckDuckGo is available for Android, so why isn’t anyone trying it to see if it solves the issues?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duckduckgo.mobile.android

leffeboy

Ah, I think you have given us the answer to why DuckDuckGo is working for you.  It’s not the search engine but rather the fact that you are using an app with a blocker built in.  That makes much more sense that just the search engine

Drac

Well he’s also not using an android too which is where exploit exists together with windows.

DrJ

Well, following someone’s earlier posts mentioning Ghoster, I installed the Safari extension, and apparently STW generates double the tracking of any other website I generally visit. Interesting.

And no – I still don’t want to buy issue 118.

cheers_drive

Shockingly bad over the last few days. On the flip side it may finally be enough to encourage me to get a life a leave this forum

mark d
    Free Member

SRAM advert all over the left side of the page. Was at the top but thought I’d gotten rid of it but it’s back even if I reset cache and history etc.

I can’t use the site on my laptop, having to do this by phone.

I see where everyone else is coming from; this is an unusable site.

If I was into bikes and I came across this site I’d go elsewhere.

Shame, because the mag is great.

mark d
    Free Member

Tried again after resetting laptop.

Adverts from Evans all over the left of the page and I cannot read content.

This is nothing to do with subscriptions or premier

In the site it is invaded by ads that are stopping people from seeing the content.

This is beyond a joke now.

mark d
    Free Member

Cancelling subscription and premier etc as I’ll just buy the mag when I see it and now don’t see the benefit of keeping up the subscription for the forum.

Its no better than just finding it on google.

mark d
    Free Member

Done

mark d
    Free Member

Sorry

DickBarton

Don’t apologise, if the service you are paying for isn’t up to scratch then stop paying.

I wonder how many people have now stopped paying and if it impacts the number to remove the adverts…it wasn’t that many (I think at 1 point it was below 1000)…

scotroutes

It’s all going according to plan and the IT guys have done a great job.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just to check Mark did you have ads turned off in your profile? I kindly ever get the pointless stw pop up while logged in

senorj

I’m getting a pop up for the new issue too  – so brief ,it merits a strobe warning imo. 🙂

franksinatra

My subscription just reviewed recently but I’ve cancelled the auto renew direct debit.  I’ve been a subscriber for many years

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yup my auto renew is cancelled. Not paying for this crap any more.

DezB
    Free Member

The pop-up came up 3 times on me this morning – have used Adblock (on Chrome) on it now and just see a green line.

Subscriber – no ads means no ads.

K

Chrome keeps going mad with saying x number of po up being block locked.

Cougar

You shouldn’t be seeing adverts if you’re logged in as a premier subscriber (and “no ads” is now the default setting unless you change it).  Something’s wrong if so.

The slider isn’t an advert.  You shouldn’t be seeing it more than once a day on a given device unless you’re blocking the cookie which stops it from reappearing.  I had it pop up just now, I clicked the [X], it went away again.

Speaking as a forum user and not playing the “STW apologist” card here, I genuinely don’t know what all the fuss is about.  It’s mildly irritating sure, and if it were down to me I’d only have it appear when there was new news (cos that’s it’s purpose, to announce new things), but it’s way less irritating than just about every other commercial website on the planet.

Cougar

From what I can gather there’s a lot of work going on behind the scenes into trying new things, to see what works and what doesn’t.  The only way to do that is to try it.  Maybe the slider will be a roaring success, maybe it’ll be a complete misstep and be binned, maybe it’ll be tweaked so that it presents differently.  Maybe it’ll turn into something else entirely, who knows.

Every time there’s any change there’s outrage because it’s slightly different, and there have been plenty of things tried and removed over the years (remember the short-lived inline hotlinking, for instance?).  It’d be great if the forum could be free to use for everyone and be completely text-based with no other content other than the forum itself – and I get the impression that there’s a few people who will never be happy unless that’s the case – but the bottom line is that if they did that they’d have to shut up shop by the end of the week.

I’m sure no-one would be happier than Mark to have the site advert-free, and I know he’s looking into alternatives to reduce the reliance on them.  But that involves changing things sometimes.

theboatman
    Free Member

I think it’s a triumph, despite not having any interest in flower show’s or lounge wear, I couldn’t think of a better time to consider these options than before appraising Junkyard’s latest contribution to our imminent demise in the WW3 thread. Equally I feel the screen layout is second to none in celebrating that contribution 😂 wtf!!

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s all well and good trying new things but getting what’s already in use, like the editor, to a usable state should be done first.

There’s some very basic UI that needs fixing as well – no indication that you’ve actually clicked on a link is one example.

bruneep

Why do subscribers get the slider? There is no way I’ll buy the mag when I get it via my P

Why not opt out those who already pay?

Its not just once a day tho, sometimes its more on same device, then when I use another device I go through the same thing again even tho I’m already logged in.

andytherocketeer

The slider isn’t an advert. You shouldn’t be seeing it more than once a day on a given device unless you’re blocking the cookie which stops it from reappearing. I had it pop up just now, I clicked the [X], it went away again.

The cookie is currently set to 72 hour expiry.

On android the “slide in” goes bouncing down the screen. On chrome it disappears to quick to hit the X. You have to scroll all the way to the very end to make the slide-in slide in again to hit the X.

If that is not classed as an ad, then the T+Cs allow me to block it 😉

If it’s advertising… erm I mean providing an informative message that the new mag issue is out, then I’d make it show once, disappear, and set the expiry to roughly the time that the next issue is out.

zokes
    Free Member

Oh my….

This is hopeless…..

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 413 total)

The topic ‘Popups/ redirects’ is closed to new replies.