Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Popping the The (big) Question.
  • badllama
    Free Member

Ok I’m just interested in time scales between first meet and you popping the question to your other half’s?

Me, never been married (I’m 45) but been in 3 long term relationships(last one was 19 years(3 years too long TBH) ).

But now I’ve met an amazing person we get on like we have always been together and thinking this maybe the one?
    So info please 😀

Cougar

It was nine years or so for me (and in the end, she did it).

Drac

Ah! Not “Can I have a new bike?”

ivorlott
    Free Member

3 months here, been married almost 20 years now and never regretted being a little impulsive…

zanelad
    Free Member

We’ve been married 36 years and Mrs Z says that I never actually asked her to marry me. How the **** did we get married then?

Every time we see a proposal on the TV she says ‘It must be nice to get a proposal’. It’s wearing a bit thin after all this time……..

badnewz
    Free Member

If you want kids, the sooner the better.

sandwicheater

15 years before i popped the question, you can’t rush these things.

Go for it OP, my parents got engaged after a month.

jamesfts
    Free Member

If you want kids, the sooner the better.

Have we just gone back in time?

tjagain

36 years together and not married yet. Seems a bit pointless to me now 😉

pocketrocket
    Free Member

13 years, been married for 4 now.
    Need to be sure, right?

badnewz
    Free Member

Have we just gone back in time?

Fertility rates go back with time.

CheesybeanZ

14 years – 12 living together before I got over my fear of commitment that was 18 years ago .

jambalaya
    Free Member

First wife we married after 24 years together and divorced a year or so later
    Second wife asked/married after 2 years but knew much sooner.

A friend of mine is marrying his girlfried of 4 years – living together for 2 years, he’s 53 and had never lived with anyone for longer than 12 months before.

There is no formula. If you are certain (as far as is possible) then just do it.

By the way if you are going to ask pit a bit of effort into the proposal, time/place/words. IMO the ladies like that a lot.

RustySpanner

Been together over 10 years, married 2.

Always knew we would, but never had the time, what with step daughters getting married, doing up houses, grandkid, bikes, work etc.

Be warned.
    The process seems to start as soon as all female relatives and friends have been alerted and only finishes after the ceremony.

I took up fishing again, as it was the only outdoor activity they all hate.

fathomer

9 years, been married 3 1/2, couldn’t be happier.

Sandwich

2 months and like Zanelad I’m accused of not asking properly. Only married for 32 years this year.

badllama
    Free Member

Thanks for the info people 🙂

funkmasterp

15 years here. Engaged for 10 as we are both wore quite laid back. I’d have happily not bothered, but she really wanted to.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d say f you don’t know now, best not do it.

robbo1234biking

Was together 1 year 1 month before I asked her. Got married after 2 years and 6 months. Been together 9 years now and have a 3 year old. Just felt right to me but we started living together after a month so knew we got on well and living together was easy!

john_drummer
    Free Member

Together for 11 years before we got married. That was 18 years ago. First 9 years we lived in a rough area and had no intention of bringing up kids there. Then we moved somewhere nicer and thought it would be nice to be married before kids came along, but sadly they never did.

pondo

Together 10 years, lived together for nine, engaged five years ago, married for three.

lunge

9 years for us. Then another 18 months until marriage.
    I knew sooner but the time was wrong for a few boring reasons.

seadog101

After about 9 months there wasn’t so much a proposal, more of a mutual agreement that being married might be the logical next step in the relationship.

sweepy
    Free Member

I’ve been with the Mrs for around 32yrs man and boy, I did ask her around the 10 year mark but she turned me down- something to do with the patriarchy I think. She suggested it a few years ago but she’d had her chance 🙂
    I think I’ll probably keep her tho.

falkirk-mark

Whenever she feels ready to ask.

totalshell

current mrs tts says i ve never even asked her out in the first place.. so how/ when everything else happened I ll never know.. other than 16 years ago i was a single lad when a woman at work who i barely had a nodding acquaintance with sent me a post card from her holidays

shermer75
    Free Member

So, have you decided? 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Met in 95, moved in together 99 (long distance for two years then a longer distance while she was in Russia and I thought we were on a break [/RossfromFriends], married 2002.

Never was a question. I was planning on popping the question on top of the Empire State on a holiday we were planning but somehow a ring just got chosen on a shopping trip and the holiday morphed into the honeymoon. And we dropped the USA from the itenary anyway.

weeksy

18 months from meeting to proposing… We’ve been married coming up to 10 years now.

thecaptain
    Free Member

5y but most of that time we were not in the same place (students/moving/first jobs). Then we decided to prioritise our relationship and the rest,as they say,is history – 20y last summer.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

She told me I needed to ask her after about 2 years together. She was right (as always); 23 years married 🙂

Davesport

After the offspring started appearing 😀 They were at the wedding which I thought was the coolest thing ever.

petec
    Free Member

Um. together at 19, married at 26, still together 14 years later.

More than half my life!

Which is nice.

stumpy01

9 years before I proposed & got married 18 months after that.

We’ll have been together 15 years this June….

swavis

11 years +2 kids and I finally got round to asking last Feb. Married last October and it was ace! 😀

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Popping the The (big) Question.’ is closed to new replies.