Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Popped my girlfriend's seal, will she die?
  • bigjim

Was pumping away and all of a sudden it was all over, the oil dumped out into my hand and the piston had popped out the seal.

Is it OK just to push it back in, refill and bleed the brakes? Its the front brake so comes in handy, so want to make sure it is safe… Shimano LX caliper…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nah you’ll need a new one.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Happened to me a few times, just pop it back in and carry on!

bigjim

Nah you’ll need a new one.

Girlfriend?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

haha – thought this was going to be the ultimate STW topic..!

palookah
    Free Member

For a moment there I thought you’d earnt your brown wings.

pingu66
    Free Member

Thought this was something completely different!!!!!!!!!!!

boltonjon

For a moment there I thought you’d earnt your brown wings.

+1

Dickyboy

Surely if you have a girlfriend you don’t need to go about pumping her pinniped?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

put it back an and bleed – most of the time yo will get away with it. It will either fail straight away and leak or it will be fine

mikewsmith
    Free Member

saw a poor bloke in the peak many years ago who having knackered his own bike had borrowed his GF’s there was luminous goo all over one of the stanchions (elastomer fork days) and he asked if it would be all right….

bigjim

It will either fail straight away and leak or it will be fine

ooh matron

enfht
    Free Member

Did she wake up?

mooman
    Free Member

Superb – and well structured TJ

stoat

This thread promises so much..

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I thought she’d be fine until TJ mentioned blood….

qwerty
    Free Member

Just fit some V brakes.

bigjim

Just fit some V brakes

this is the only response she took offence to

coolhandluke
    Free Member

It might be ok but if you popped her seal once I’m sure you will pop it again but next time it will be easier and so on. You need to be careful you don’t pump too much next time!

The problem is, the more times you pop her seal the slacker the seal will become and the potential for a bit of a leak increases. I don’t need to tell you how horrible a leak down by her seal will be either I guess. Depending where you are and what you are doing at the time, a leak around her seal could be well nasty for you as well as her.

To avoid nasty consequences of a leaky seal, first I’d put some lubricant on your finger and gently rub it around her seal making sure it is nice and smooth and without any creases, tears or folds then I’d rub some lubricant onto the piston and rub it gently against her seal before pushing it back in, all the way and leave it there. 😀

nikk
    Free Member

I think I’m in the wrong place, can someone direct me to the bike forum please?

bradley
    Free Member

LOL. That is all.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Popped my girlfriend's seal, will she die?’ is closed to new replies.