Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)
  • pop up adds
  • Northwind

CountZero: It does seem that the agencies producing these ads should have it firmly pointed out to them that their chosen business method is counter-productive, as evidenced by the number of threads they’ve spawned.

2 different things. It’s almost certainly counterproductive for the forum, but the advertisers don’t care about that, they’re not selling the forum.

I’ve got a premier signup so I’ve got ads turned off. Just switched them back on for a minute and helllllll with that 😆 There’s a level I’d be happy to have but it’s like putting your head in a fairground ride.

DrJ

I wonder how many visitors to the forum are “regulars” who will persist despite the incredibly annoying popups, and how many are casual visitors who will just surf away. I know that when I encounter a popup ike this in the normal course of random surfing I just jog on by.

Drac

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    Its an ad targeting tablets.
    We are being paid to display it.
    This helps us pay the bills.
    It ends on Friday.

chewkw
    Free Member

At work I like pop up especially those flashing ones with loud noise that surprise every one. Break the silent boring bureaucratic work you know.

Once I spent so much time finding ads that annoy the hell out of my colleagues … my excuses … “Oh, sorry I did not know that would happen …” Hell, of course I know as I already checked it prior to clicking the site again you bunch of ZMs.

I find that Youtube got plenty of those ads …

Drac

At work I like pop up especially those flashing ones with loud noise that surprise every one. Break the silent boring bureaucratic work you know.

You should have mentioned it earlier.

DT78
    Free Member

More invasive ads = grumpy users, ultimately = less users = less click through revenue = more adds = even less users = dead site when users go elsewhere.

Listen to your users, or loose them

Other forums seem to cope.

Drac

Listen to your users, or loose them

Seems he has.

The frogman Tudor campaign is set to run until the end of March, but at a much lower daily impression target that means it should be rare to see it much. For some idea it targets only tablet users and is capped at 5000 impressions per day. Considering there are on average 25k Unique users a day tuning in on a tablet the chances of seeing it are slim..

..unless you spend a LOT of your time here

DrJ

Its an ad targeting tablets.

Strange to target tablets with an ad that is uniquely annoying to tablet users – these popups would be less irritating if they occurred on a normal computer.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Did anyone mention crass mass marketing for premium brands?

nickjb
    Free Member

Seems he has

But then he also said the other one would only appear once in 24 hours which it blatantly doesn’t. Let’s see.

edit. Frogman just popped up. Now I feel special. 🙂

richmars

Which other websites feature the watch and bank adds?

cheers_drive

I’m a Premier member and the ads still pee me off when logging in from an Android device if I’ve been logged out of the site.

Drac

But then he also said the other one would only appear once in 24 hours which it blatantly doesn’t. Let’s see.

And as that didn’t work he took a different approach.

I have no idea.

soobalias
    Free Member

lol for the ipad owners complaining about ads for stuff they cant afford.

it took me four days to post this via my 56k connection.

footflaps

The Economist

satchm00
    Free Member

that audi nonsance over christmas was bad enough, anyone now getting the private banking add which takes you away from here to their site.
    yes this is a free site and stw need to make money but this is not good

For some reason my browser wasn’t doing the “remember me” option so whilst I pay I also got the full whack when logging in…. So I feel your pain.

I just try to remember its more about the content in the magazine than on the site… I’ve been told off before for naming browser addons (including tablets) that hide adverts, block pop ups etc so I shall refrain.

I dislike the adverts not because there adverts but because of the size, colour, the in your face the auto play tv etc etc its just horrendous. At the same time nothing these days is free, its pretty reasonable cost to be a member.

Purely out of interest why do people opt to not pay?

wwaswas

Anyone concerned about this site should visit lingscars.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

The private banking ad was annoying enough – at least you could get rid of it, the effing Tudor ad takes over the entire screen and you can’t get rid of it :(( incredibly annoying, nothing could put me off a brand more than this kind of behaviour

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Purely out of interest why do people opt to not pay?

Perhaps because they don’t want to.

scotroutes

100!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is the problem not actually the ads but the fact the Ipad can’t display them properly? ( 😉 )

Ladders
    Free Member

I’m looking out for a watch for my birthday. Definitely won’t be getting a Tudor after these annoying adverts!!

Shame that enough income isn’t being made by the side adverts. Most newspapers (don’t know about mags) make most of their revenue from the advertising. I should imagine that ABC figures of the Evening Standard rocketed when that was made free, and so must have made them quite sought after for ad space?

So just saying I suppose that people shouldn’t dismiss people who don’t pay to use this forum, they have their uses!!

somafunk

I absolutely detest adds of any sort on websites and if they annoy me then i don’t use that website again, that’s the main reason i subscribed to Grit cx pretty much straight away as the few times i used the forum the adds really pissed me off, thankfully i quite like the mag now it’s up n’ running but i still don’t like reading articles online, even on the iPad i find i loose interest quickly but i’ll suffer it for the content.

As for adverts on here?, i find these days i get logged out of STW a damn site more often than i used to and when i do open the STW page i find the amount of adverts ludicrous, thankfully i’m quite happy to pay for the magazine so i don’t have to suffer the adverts for more than a quick page reload.

Adverts just **** me off though no matter what format they appear – stop trying to sell me utter shite and just **** right off, if i want something i’ll buy it without being reminded, i was round at my folks for xmas and i tried to watch a film on tv, the amount of ad breaks just took the piss so i lost interest…and the adverts were so mind numbing banal and selling us shite or advertising unmissable sales that i actually wanted to grab whatever ad executive dreamt them up and slap him till my palms bled.

Thanks god for BBC radio, phew!………. Yeah i’m ranting but it seems these days we are not so much a citizen of the state but rather treated as a vapid consumer to be bombarded continuously with offers of better / improved / New / shiny / buy this and you’ll be happy – it’s all a crock of shite. Thank god i don’t have anything to do with it.

And breathe………

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but rather treated as a vapid consumer to be bombarded continuously with offers of better / improved / New / shiny / buy this and you’ll be happy – it’s all a crock of shite. Thank god i don’t have anything to do with it.

[img]http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/140353068.png[/img]
    Ads eh? New fangled crap

It’s part of life, going from a point where we had 4 TV channels 2 of which were ad free to a point where you can access a huge range of content for almost no direct cost to the consumer. The trade off? That content needs to be paid for, one of the greatest bits of misdirection was the belief that the internet is free. It all costs money, it costs to run, it costs to provide content. It’s take a long time to get to the point where it is getting paid for properly. Ads are part of that and always will be, the delivery method might need to change but people need to wake up to the fact that they should be paying in some way for the service/product they receive.

Just glancing through the mag that landed this week, it’s got probably the least ads for any mag I pick up, it’s full of content. In the end you get what you pay for.

somafunk

And as i said i am quite happy to pay so i get content that is entirely advert free…..take my money….drop the adverts.

From my point of view years ago the adverts didn’t seem to intrude so much into our lives but perhaps they did and i just can’t remember them all that much?, we never really had a fully functioning tv growing up as we always seemed to stay in areas of the west coast where reception was so poor it was not worth it, and staying in the highlands and having a long trek to even get to the village shop i guess that element of normal life by visiting glitzy advert laden shopping areas in towns/city’s kinda passed me by.

Christ!….i sound like a troglodyte who’s just ventured above ground for the first time 😀

robdob
    Free Member

I tried to become a Premier user as I was sent an offer for £5 off for the whole year after getting the free trial. But it seems I can’t pay by debit card to get that offer. I do not like direct debits for this sort of thing so it looks like I’m still not going premier. I can’t help thinking STW doesn’t want my money!

Drac

Give this number a ring Rob.

01706 814397

They will help you out.

Edukator
    Free Member

Since yesterday STW has been taking between 20s and Firefox timeout to open a page. Firefox is the fastest as it loads the least. STW is the only site I use affected, local sites generally load in the blink of an eye and STW in a couple of seconds:

robdob
    Free Member

Drac, already been in contact with Subs people, they said its DD only.

DavidB
    Free Member

I cancelled my sub recently as the mag just was not doing it for me any more. TBH the content beyond the forum is not really worth paying in my opinion and the forum content is provided by the members not the owners so I’m not paying for that either. Therefore the best way for the owners to get money from me is through the adverts, I agree with that. This in turn needs me to view it a lot as one day an advert will pique my interest and hey-presto cash. Having lost my “P” I now cannot use the site on a mobile device as it is completely unusable. I have had to take measures to be able to view it on my computer but am not allowed to disclose these. So surely we’ve all lost in this situation? If STW could get adverts right especially on mobile whilst making the site a great experience they would win on all accounts. These stats about being in the top 2k of websites ever are great but Friendsreunited used to be able to boast similar….

brianp
    Free Member

This forum is now completely unusable for me on my iPad. The watch advert is ridiculous. Could a site admin say if this is to continue or not. It does not happen on my laptop, which is old and slow, so Impresume the administrators do not actually want this horrible advertising to be happening. So a technical solution needs putting in place for iPads pleae.

If this is not to be done, simply will stop visiting the site. Shame really, I enjoy the banter.

Brian

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think that with 32,547 unique visitors every minute, and what with the site being in the top 5% of sites in the universe, a few non-paying users won’t be missed.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think that with 32,547 unique visitors every minute, and what with the site being in the top 5% of sites in the universe, a few non-paying users won’t be missed.

Are you sure about the numbers? Mark said 25,000 unique tablet users per day. I wonder if the owners of MySpace said something similar when they were getting 500,000 visitors a day?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are you sure about the numbers?

Well, y’know, ball park and all that…

Rockplough
    Free Member

I just wish people would stop calling them ‘adds’.

Carry on.

Edukator
    Free Member

My problem fixed. Thanks if anyone actually did anything.

pirahna
    Free Member

brianp
    This forum is now completely unusable for me on my iPad. The watch advert is ridiculous. Could a site admin say if this is to continue or not. It does not happen on my laptop, which is old and slow, so Impresume the administrators do not actually want this horrible advertising to be happening. So a technical solution needs putting in place for iPads pleae.

If this is not to be done, simply will stop visiting the site. Shame really, I enjoy the banter.

Brian

The only way I’ve found to clear the ad is to refresh the browser.

wwaswas

I’ve got a couple of questions:

The companies are targeting the site due to user demographics but subscribers don’t see the ads. Is there a difference between demographic of those who pay to view and those that choose not to?

Is it possible that the very people who are being targeted are not seeing the ads because they pay to see the site?

The ‘sort of person’ who won’t pay to use the stw site may be entirely the wrong person to try to sell private banking or an expensive watch to but are the only people to see the ads.

footflaps

I’d love to know what the viewer demographics are….

There are only two sites I pay subscriptions to, STW and The Economist, the latter still shows adverts to subscribers (not that I see actually them mind), so STW is pretty subscriber friendly.

Rockplough
    Free Member

As it’s a tablet campaign perhaps that’s the driver. Tablet = probably an ipad = high disposable income + susceptible to marketing 😉 .

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘pop up adds’ is closed to new replies.