Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • pompino rear wheel advice
  • fenboy

thinking of getting a standard pompino for a an SS cross build, its down as 120mm rear spacing for track hubs, can i get a normal 130mm road hub in there without too much trouble as i have these and the SS kit already?? I’ve done this with 130mm spaced frames and 135 mtb hubs but thats only 2.5mm each side not 5mm to stretch. anyone done this??

epicyclo

If you spread the dropouts they are no longer parallel, so if you don’t want your wheel walking under pressure, then you’ll need to bend the dropouts into parallel.

Or use a tensioner (tugnut).

Does your 130mm wheel use a QR or is it bolt in? Bolt in is better for SS.

120mm wheels are cheap and easy to get and you don’t have to compromise your frame so you can use an old wheel.

fenboy

Thats the problem I didn’t want to get a new wheel. i’ve got two sets of spare standard 130mm road wheels both QR and not that old and an mtb SS hubbed set bolted but 135mm. It pushes the cost out from where i wanted it. ie just the frame cost £140 as I have everything else inc tugnuts etc from previous builds

fourbanger
    Free Member

I swap between a 135mm alfine and a 120mm fixed by bending the triangle out by hand. The dropouts are long and chunky enough to bend parallel on tightening.

kbomb
    Free Member

The first generation (pale blue) Pompino’s had 135mm spacing, they crop up on Ebay quite a bit, worth picking one up cheap.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Or if its a permanent fixture, space it with a trolley jack and bend the dropouts parallel with a big set of adjustables. Frame is chunky enough to take it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘pompino rear wheel advice’ is closed to new replies.