Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Polishing a Ti frame from a matt finish …
  • Swayndo
    Free Member

Anyone done it? How did you do it? What did you use? Anything to be careful about?

Thanks, Swayndo

oldfart

Don't do it ! Make it look like an Apollo ! IMHO .Not very helpful i know .

epicyclo

Yeah do it, shiny is good.

But I think it is going to take you a long time 🙂

nonk
    Free Member

go to the framebuilders forum on mtbr ask them they might have a better idea.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I like shiny too and I've got time.

I've had a look around but there's not much knowledge floating around the net from what I can see.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Found this on mtbr … thanks for the tip nonk.

Fine schotchbrite and very fine steel wool will do. Deeper scratches can be sanded away using waterproof sanding paper (400 and upward in grain). When satisfied with the job wipe frame clean and apply (lemon) pledge, polish with clean cloth and the frame looks like new. Will give you a "brushed" Ti finish though…Good luck

nonk
    Free Member

cool.

stuey
    Free Member

ultrafine scotch brite abrasive pads, followed by polishing mops and rouge – 2days work – quicker If you can source the right variety/selection of mops.

Then spend the rest of your life 'windolene-ing' the finger prints off 😉

thekingisdead
    Free Member

and watch the dull finish return again over the coming months….thats ti in its natural state.

odannyboy
    Free Member

steel wool! sod that! you need some poilshing mops and a drill attachment/electric polisher, if not expect to end up with arms like popeye! ugg, ugg, ugg!!

epicyclo

I think it's because Ti is hard to polish and if you get it wrong, it's expensive.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Another mtbr quote:

I called Seven since they are like the experts on TI, they told me they hand finish every frame with a Scotch brite pad. The dark red one. I gave it a shot and my frame looks brand new now. I was able to buff out every scratch!

They seem to come in packs of 20 these Scotchbrite pads.

I don't like the shot blasted finish on a 2nd hand frame I'm getting … not bothered about it being highly polished, but the brushed finish was nice on the On-One Ti 29er I had for 2 days!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Polishing a Ti frame from a matt finish …’ is closed to new replies.