Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Poached eggs.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Witchcraft.

RustySpanner

That’s only because cling film hasn’t been around for hundreds of years… welcome to the future of egg poaching…

You’re being sold a consumerist dream.
    Somewhere, a clingfilm manufacturer is cackling with delight at your blind acceptance.

Break free of your clear, stretchy mental chains.
    Throw off the clingly, hard to tear yolk (sic) of petrochemical imperialism and let your eggs breath freely.

Clobber
    Free Member

Not sure how well you can breathe in boiling water….

Harry_the_Spider

Good point. It does tend to #### over a lobster.

RustySpanner

Clobber – Member

Not sure how well you can breathe in boiling water….

😀

Strawman argument – reported to the mods.

You’re the kind of pervert who uses an electric can opener aren’t you?

irelanst
    Free Member

chicken poo

Chicken? How very common.

Duck eggs FTW

fasthaggis

I love poached eggs,but I am a bit crap at making them. 🙁
    I don’t keep chickens,so my eggs are not fresh. 🙁
    I only ever get more mess when I try the,adding vinegar method 🙁
    I don’t like the look of those egg holders 😐
    I don’t like the idea of cling film ( don’t know why that is) 😐

All of this makes me 😥

and now I am hungry.

IanMunro
    Free Member

half fill a cup with water, crack one or two eggs in it, and stick it in the microwave for a minute.
    Looks horrible, tastes great.

portlyone

My LBS* sells goose eggs, might have to poach a couple to see how they turn out.

*Local Butcher Shop

mikewsmith
    Free Member

best fried eggs I ever had was quail, about 7 yolks in 1 white

mega
    Free Member

JESUS CHRIST!
    IT’S RADIO 4 ON A SUNDAY MORNING.

made me laugh out loud 😀

ononeorange

Clingfilm is bloody witchcraft. Vile, hateful, horrible stuff that will always without fail wrap itself around itself in a nasty little blob of hatred. If you can ever find the end. And then it’ll tear. It’s the evil black heart of hell at the centre of the world’s darkness. Along with celery.

The only sensible “clingfilm method” is to throw the satanic blasted box of it straight in the bin.

And breathe. I hate clingfilm with a passion.

Clobber
    Free Member

Electric Can Opener!!!

Now that is fighting talk!

I imagine your bedtime reading is the “Caveman Guide to Lighting Fires” (In order to boil water (In order to poach an egg (crappily)))

crankboy
    Free Member

deep pan with lid (not aluminium) lots of boiling water , add small amount of viniger(malt) turn off heat swirl with spoon crack egg into vortex as close to water and center as possible cover with lid and leave off heat for 5 mins or a shade under but no more.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Agreed the best … I break egg into a cup and then slide it gently into the water, a little vinegar helps and water boiled but then off/very low heat.

RustySpanner

Clobber – Member

Electric Can Opener!!!

Now that is fighting talk!

I imagine your bedtime reading is the “Caveman Guide to Lighting Fires” (In order to boil water (In order to poach an egg (crappily)))

Can you get that on Kindle?

Anyway, you imagine wrong:

I LIKE technology – the good stuff like suspension forks & disc brakes, stuff that makes your life easier and more fun.
    Not stuff like tubeless & dropper posts – useless shite sold to fools that can’t even poach a bloody egg. 😀

dabble
    Free Member

I use an egg poaching pan

Me too, its a grand tool, no faffing, crack and go. And I can cook 4 in the time it takes others to cook one, pah, who wants 1 egg at a time? I want 4 doses of protein, right now, all in one mouthful, beefcake, BEEFCAKE!

Clobber
    Free Member

Try it… you know want to…

ransos
    Free Member

Me too, its a grand tool, no faffing, crack and go. And I can cook 4 in the time it takes others to cook one, pah, who wants 1 egg at a time? I want 4 doses of protein, right now, all in one mouthful, beefcake, BEEFCAKE!

It takes 2.5 minutes to poach an egg, and I can do 4 at a time in a large pan of water. Using a fancy pan means you’re making a barstewardised egg en cocotte, not poached.

And to all you vinegarists: stop it.

teasel
    Free Member

This thread needs pics to establish the true winner, surely.

As owners of pretty bicycles you know image is the most important factor in just about anything…

monkey_boy
    Free Member

Its not hard…

ive perfected it over the years.

makes no difference if eggs come from the fridge imo.

anyway… small saucepan only about 6″ diameter,

boil kettle, stick water in pan just as it about to boil crack two eggs in and switch off gas/electric, leave for 3-5 minutes.

job done

scotroutes

Why take the raw egg out of a perfectly serviceable outer layer only to then wrap it in clingfilm? That’s just a boiled egg.

onewheelgood

Poached eggs are vile however you cook them. Can’t believe I’m the first person on this thread to point this out.

Clobber
    Free Member

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it scotroutes…

freddyg
    Free Member

onewheelgood is a mentalist troll and I claim my £5.

onewheelgood

heh. recognition at last.

grum
    Free Member

No need for any voodoo or pissing about. Crack eggs gently into an inch or two of simmering water (salted with a splash of vinegar if you like). No need to spin the water and you can do several in one pan no bother. Stick them on toast with loads of marmite, mmmmmm………

Having fresh eggs makes it work much better though.

It takes 2.5 minutes to poach an egg, and I can do 4 at a time in a large pan of water. Using a fancy pan means you’re making a barstewardised egg en cocotte, not poached.

Why take the raw egg out of a perfectly serviceable outer layer only to then wrap it in clingfilm? That’s just a boiled egg.

+1

And to all you vinegarists: stop it.

I only use a splash of something light like cider vinegar – makes no difference to the taste and does seem to help a little with binding the egg together. You don’t need it with nice fresh eggs though.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Boil…BOIL?!

Fill a saucepan with approximately 15-20cm of water then add 2tsp salt. Place a plate upside down in the bottom of the pan then place the pan over a medium heat and bring the water up to 80ºC.

One at a time, crack each egg into a ramekin dish and pour it into a slotted spoon with small holes. Allow to drain any residual white for approximately 1–2 minutes.

Lower the slotted spoon into the warm water and slide the spoon out. Allow to poach for 4 minutes.

Remove with the slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain the excess water. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Cheers,
    Heston

ransos
    Free Member

Heston is making something more complicated than it needs to be. Draining the egg is only necessary if it isn’t very fresh.

As for heating to around 80C, that’s quite difficult to achieve without a water bath.

I do like his tip for boiled eggs though – putting the egg in cold water and bringing to the boil makes the shell less likely to crack.

freddyg
    Free Member

Rusty Shackleford – Member
    Boil…BOIL?!

…snippety snip…

Heston

It’s just a poached egg!!!

klumpy
    Free Member

I like mine stacked in pairs on toast.

Upper one is done in a frying pan, no water, a little oil.
    Lower one is done in a saucepan, using beans instead of egg.

Try it!

Clobber
    Free Member

klumpy – Member
    I like mine stacked in pairs on toast.

Upper one is done in a frying pan, no water, a little oil.
    Lower one is done in a saucepan, using beans instead of egg.

Try it!

instead of egg?

teasel
    Free Member

I like the look of Heston’s egg – looks like it’ll sit nicely on a slice of homemade bread. I’m gonna give it a try tomorrow and see how it turns-out…

klumpy
    Free Member

instead of egg?

You mean you poach your eggs in beans..?
    That. Is. Genius.

Pyro

Heston only does it like that because he’s got a KP to wash up after him…

freddyg
    Free Member

Eggs poached in beans…. Genius.

hmmmm…… Tinned tomatoes…. Alphabetti spaghetti…

seadog101

Three pages on eggs!

Only in STW 😀

scotroutes

And that is just poached.

rusty90
    Free Member

Still to come :

Someone saying real men only eat black pudding fried in lard
    Someone pleading with everyone who poaches eggs to wear a full-face helmet and goggles
    Someone who got dog poo on their poached egg
    Someone who bought a poached egg in the classifed section but it never arrived
    Someone claiming the CIA use poached eggs to spread mind-control chemicals
    Someone posting an amusing picture of a kitten with a poached egg
    Someone reminiscing about the old days, when you could get proper poached eggs
    Someone quoting ten paragraphs from Sheldon Brown that has nothing whatsoever to do with poached eggs

And to finish it off, two big hitters endlessly arguing that poached eggs are the fault of Thatcher/The Unions

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

QUALITY !!!

what tyres for poached eggs ?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Poached eggs.’ is closed to new replies.