Home Forums Chat Forum Plumbing. Isolation valves that don’t leak?

• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by ssjay.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Plumbing. Isolation valves that don’t leak?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

Are there any recommended brands?

I understand they might go wrong as they don’t get used often but it’s really frustrating when you’re trying to fix one thing and the f***ing things don’t close properly.

jeffl

Do you have a cold or hot water tank? If not then I wouldn’t bother as you can just turn off at the main isolation tap where the mains comes in.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Trouble is the main isolation tap shuts off the water to the rest of our flat and the flat upstairs, so individual isolation valves are preferred.

bensales
    Free Member

Because I’m a bit of a plumbing saddo, I have a yearly reminder in my calendar to go round the house and exercise all the isolation valves and all the radiator lockshields. As with anything mechanical, they don’t like not being used.

Bear
    Free Member

Oventrop very spendy though

Blazin-saddles

Ballofix or Pegler, but be prepared for nearly £10 each for 15mm

eckinspain
    Free Member

Happy to pay 10 pounds (though the 50 pounds for Oventrop might be excessive).

I think Toolstation have Pegler

b33k34

Anything other than ball valves has failed for me. Hep2o washing machine valve was useless after c6 years.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I’m now discovering that most isolation valves have compression fittings at both ends. A like for like swap means I need 15mm compression on one end and half inch male thread on the other end.

Never straight forward is it?

tthew

You can get flexible tap connectors with a built in valve that are 15mm to 1/2 inch. Dunno if that might be an option.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Thanks 5lab! That’s almost perfect but I need the half inch connector to be male instead of female.

Yes I saw the tails with built in valve but they were pushfit at the end and tbh wasn’t sure how that works.

tthew

https://www.toolstation.com/flexible-tap-connector-with-isolating-valve/p90613

Bought this exact one last week. I think it’s the configuration you are after.

Edit actually maybe not as it’s the same connections as 5labs.

ssjay
    Free Member

Butterfly valves tend to last longer and easier to turn off

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.