Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Please educate me on roof mounted carriers.
  • andywill

JimJam, I you are near south warwickshire I have 2x 591 carriers & roof bars for a 2007 Focus that will be going on ebay soon. Let me know if you are interested.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

I’m getting one of these: http://www.saris.com/product/gran-fondo

No lifting above your head.
    No clamps on the frame.
    My Son can load/unload his own bike.
    Doesn’t make your car the height of a London Bus.

I have used the Thule 591 with no issues but the Gran Fondo just seems like a neat solution.

jimdubleyou

I have these as I’ve never liked having the whole bike up there.

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/whispbar_fork_mount_bike_carrier_wb200/Qx%40w%2C6M42VAwp3%40Rb%7B~cC4ure5QjhZ

Fits the MTB (easily, but I only have 15mm axles) and the gnarmacs when the Mrs is out for a ride.

They are also easily removable.

alexh
    Free Member

I’ve used the Mont blanc barracuda’s for a few years.

They need an updated design as you cant fit anything wider than a 2.2 fully inflated in the scoop for the front wheel.

penster
    Free Member

I’ve got 2x Thule 591s, had them for a few months now but only used them twice. Read a lot of reviews on various systems and eventually settled on them as user experiences were so good.

So far I haven’t played any music/radio, and to say I’m driving tentatively would be an understatement…I guess I just need to build up confidence.

I have ordered a velcro strap to be used along with the clamp area, as that’s the weak point imo, if the frame slips out, the bike will crash down sideways and into the car windows

T1000
    Free Member

Highly recommend Thule slidebars (not very pretty but make loading bikes or anything big/awkward easy)

cheers_drive

Have done thousands of miles with 591s including an alps trip with no issues. Fuel economy suffers a bit though

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Please educate me on roof mounted carriers.’ is closed to new replies.