Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 'Play' In cassette.. normal?
  • theroadwarrior
    Free Member

So I was cleaning my bike after a ride yesterday and decided to take the cassette(10speed shimano) off to give it a proper clean.

Before I removed it I noticed that if I grabbed the cassette and wobbled it there was a small amount of play- I could feel the play and see it moving in relation to the axle. At most it was 0.5 – 1 mm of movement.

So what’s the story? Bike has had moderate off road use, i’m still on the first chain/cassette/chainset but my park tool indicates the chain isn’t worn.

Is the freehub goosed or can it be adjusted?

The wheels are Bontrager rhythm comps

belugabob
    Free Member

Was the play directly in line with the axle, or did it ‘wobble’?

Could be that the lock-ring wasn’t tight enough.

I have Rythmn Comps and have not noticed any particular problem.

Which cassette do you have?

When you take the cassette off, does the freehub have play in it?

robsoctane
    Free Member

I’ve noticed this on a few of my bikes and so, putv it down to just something that happens… Am I right though…

cynic-al
    Free Member

A little play in a freehub body is normal. Presume cassette was tight?

binners

I’m running Bontrager Rhythm’s and there’ is a slight bit of play in the cassette. At first I thought it might be wheel bearings. The LBS put new ones in and when I mentioned the play in the cassette, they said that was normal. Its certainly not bad enough to cause any problems shifting

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

I’ve no problems shifting and can’t notice it riding, just when I came to take it off I thought to myself “Is that meant to be like that?”

The play could be felt in the freehub with the cassette removed. The cassette is XT I believe. The lockring was tight before removal and I tightened it up after cleaning and the play was still there.

Perhaps it’s nothing, it’s not something I checked when the bike was new though so it’s difficult to tell if it’s ‘just like that’ or is a problem developing.

druidh
    Free Member

You take your cassette off to clean it?

rocketman
    Free Member

There is usually some axial play in the hub body when the wheel is out but not when it’s in the frame

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Don’t normally take it off to clean, never done it on this bike and it was nice and sunny yesterday after the ride so I thought i’d have a bash 🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Have you made sure your lock ring is tight?

mrmo
    Free Member

cassette moving on freehub body, bad, freehub body moving a little in relation to hub, ok as long as it is only a little.

nickjb
    Free Member

A tiny bit of play in the cassette is normal, taking it off to clean it is not 😉

micky
    Free Member

Not sure with bontys but I have mavics with the nylon freewheel bearing that wears and gives a lot of play. We are talking easily 3mm. If yours has a nylon bearing lube as per the service instructions and dont worry about it. I take it your gears are changing smoothly enough?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i had the same problem, it wont be the casette it will be the free hub that it sits on, i took mine to my lbs to get a freehub service and the play has gone 🙂 try that

banks
    Free Member

Same problem, same hubs & cassette – I’ve replaced the bearings – 15quid all together – seems fine now
    Shop wanted 50!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘'Play' In cassette.. normal?’ is closed to new replies.