Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Plastering Quote piss take. Who fancies a guess?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m a little bit (raging) peeved at our usual site plasterer and feel a bit done actually.
    3 bed semi, all external walls dabbed 34mm insu board rest 15mm dabbed. 3 bedrooms to do, Hall stairs and landing, lounge, and dining room. No kitchen or bathroom to do. Then skimmed to finish. Rough guess?

RobHilton
    Free Member

$1,000,000?

perchypanther
    Free Member

15 grand?

Assuming this is a quote before he’s done the work?
    ‘Cause letting him do it first and then getting a price afterwards would just be silly , right? 😉

zbonty

Defo more than the boiler quotes I’ve received (see other thread)

trail_rat
    Free Member

clearly he is a busy guy .

sandwicheater

£6,000+VAT and a cuddle?

leffeboy

10k?

wzzzz
    Free Member

50p?

wrightyson
    Free Member

7800 plus vat.
    I’ve priced the materials up, they’re about 1500 including vat. That doesn’t include any wall primer which is probably another 100 quid. Shame really as his 80k worth of work on my current site probably won’t run as smoothly as it could 🙄

gobuchul
    Free Member

7800 plus vat

So about £1000 per room?

Seems a but steep!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Effin rip off these builder types, crooks the bloody lot of ’em.

(is he just geared up for/wants to do big commercial jobs? I bet you bid high for work you don’t really want, eh?)

perchypanther
    Free Member

Seems a bit steep

‘s the stairs innit. 🙂

wzzzz
    Free Member

Why not just go back to him with what you think is a reasonable price, he can only say no.

johndoh
    Free Member

So about £1000 per room?

Seems a but steep!
    I thought that too – I’d have said more like £300/£400 per room, more for the hall, stairs and landing. I assume it is of a pretty normal dimensions for a bog-standard semi – it’s not a Victorian semi with huge rooms and 10ft ceilings?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Why not just go back to him with what you think is a reasonable price, he can only say no.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I will say £500-600 plus materials. Not sure where you are based though.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

One off the wrist & a cuddle?

salad_dodger

Get used to it. All the decent hard working Polish builders aren’t welcome anymore are they so we’ll all have to get use to shoddy work and paying top dollar once again. Thanks Brexit.

<tongue in cheek>

wrecker
    Free Member

Shame really as his 80k worth of work on my current site probably won’t run as smoothly as it could

Sack him!

Blackhound

I was charged about £100 for a decent sized room a couple of years ago. Plus tea and biscuits but no cuddle.

revs1972
    Free Member

Ahem……….. don’t you mean the £86k worth of work he is doing on site, 🙄

tymbian
    Free Member

If I’m reading it right Wrightyson he has to dab all the external & internal walls then skim the lot including the ceilings built by A N other..

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Just Artex the lot of it yourself. Young hipsters love that kind of thing. 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes he would have been dabbing all walls then skimmed to finish. I know it’s a ridiculous quote hence the reason he won’t be doing it. I don’t expect favours on private jobs but this has actually wound me up.

revs1972
    Free Member

But is he busy ? In my line of work, you never say no. If you can’t do it then you put a silly price in , so they use
    one of the other companies in the same line ( basically there are 3 companies that get the work). Sometimes though, your ridiculous price is the least ridiculous ..,,

tymbian
    Free Member

Wrightyson…I’m guessing 200m2 of ceilings over 2 floors..I’d charge you £1000 to Tape n joint them alone. Approx. 250m2 pb to Tape n Joint per floor another
    £2K, how much DnD? 300m2 possibly..that’ll cost you £7m2 incl adhesive and sticking reveals.. ( windows/doors ) measured over..so I’m at 5100 + cost of boards..this is based on my Tape n Joint prices of 7 years ago on commercial sites with 3k – 10,000m2 of partioning. House bashing was below me..and I’ve never understood why you’ld skim over a perfectly flat surface like plasterboard unless you can’t fix for shit which is the house bashing game..prices are so shit you have to be quick to make any money and the last trades ie..jointer or spread end up trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
    Maybe he doesn’t want the job

simondbarnes

This. Why get upset?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Then he should just say he can’t fit it in, especially with someone who is providing £80k’s worth of regular work.
    With some random bod who’s phoned up out of the blue it might be different, but for a good customer like this, you try and fit it in. If you really can’t, then recommend someone else.

tymbian
    Free Member

Maybe he’s getting complacent..
    Tbf though Wrightyson if your giving him work worth £80k you know your prices and if your happy with his work talk to him and tell him you reckon he’s overpriced it by x amount..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Tymbian it’s 90 boards tops in total, about 260m2, as I said it’s not all rooms in the house.
    I’m well aware of prices and who gets what pretty much in every trade from main subby to the lads working for him, I tend to ask these questions/find out so I can divvy up my site management time to those who need it most, this is probably why (without meaning to sound like a look at me) I get lads working with me rather than for me on site. This one has just boiled my wee a little bit as he’s clearly priced it because he doesn’t want it but really isn’t seeing the bigger picture. When his board delivery comes in at 4.20pm in a Friday afternoon and my forky has gone home he’ll probably be needing to get himself to site to unload…..

pjm84
    Free Member

Glad to see you’re using 15mm!

Merak

Call him out on it then move on. Don’t be petty. He has to justify that quote, straight up ask him why?

deepreddave
    Free Member

Detail smetail. Ask him to break it down a little as that usually focuses a conversation on any ‘errors’.

twisty

Well yes he could have warned you up front if he didn’t want the job.

On the other hand, if you are a site manager who is responsible for managing somebody elses money, and you are trying to use that position to leverage a good deal for your own personal job, then that could also be considered a bit unethical.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Unethical to the point where we are a two man band who do jobs up to about 6/7 million quids, where he is the owner I’m the site manager and everything on site is run through the both of us. In fact the price was emailed to him and then on to me.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Plastering Quote piss take. Who fancies a guess?’ is closed to new replies.