Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Planet X pro carbon, best value road bike?
  • ds3000
    Free Member

It’s got to be, hasn’t it? Full ultegra, 11spd, not too bad wheels, tried and tested frame – under a grand?

Or would a giant be a better bet?

tomhoward

Brother in law has just got one (admittedly on my recommendation…) I haven’t seen it yet but by golly on paper it looks amazing value, my madone had an rrp of £3k last year for the same sort of spec, but was only 10speed ultegra.

mav12
    Free Member

the fsa wheelset is over £200 alone which seems to make ut very good value. but i am 6ft 5 not sure if the xl would be big enough anyone else this tall ride one

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s not full ultegra, iirc the chain set ain’t.

Jamie
    Free Member

whyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhywhyohwhy do they not even have 1 pic of the other colours?

scaredypants

Jamie they have pics of the framesets in various colours

here

tomhoward

Yep, it is.

dantsw13

Last year it was often FSA chainset and Tektro brakes. This year it seems to be full Groupsets.

mav12
    Free Member

looks full ultegra and they are saying as such

brant
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    POSTED 27 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s full Shimano 6800 11spd. Brake calipers, cassette, chain, shifters, mechs, BB, the lot.

njee20
    Free Member

bloody impressive. I’m tempted by one.

eskay

Both of my sons have one (one SRAM Rival and the Other Ultegra). You really cannot fault them for the money.

Conqueror
    Free Member

will it take a non-eyelet guard without too much hassle?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

@Mav12 – I’m 6’4″ and ride a 58. Perfect fit for me. I had the Retul fit done and I have changed nothing in 3 years 🙂

hora
    Free Member

I’ve agonised over a search for my first serious roadbike after 2 decades away. I started by looking at the Pro X then looked at the good the bad and the ugly. I narrowed it down to a 2012 Dale Synapse 105 but the **** tyres are the training tyre freebies you get with the base level Kysriums. All for 1200.. then the Defy comp’s. With their reputed buying power why do they put such shit low kit on compared?

In 12 months time you could frameswap the pro2 for any frameset and have a really decent roadbike as your next step too. On most defys you would have to upgrade bits n bobs as well.

tthew

Bloody bargain. But I still like the RT-57 with the non-compact chainset, nice Shimano wheels and classier frame. Is that really worth £200 extra though?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m rather partial to the white/lime green colour on the RT58.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Bloody bargain. But I still like the RT-57 with the non-compact chainset, nice Shimano wheels and classier frame. Is that really worth £200 extra though?

Dunno, but with a bike this light in the UK, do you need a triple?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Dunno, but with a bike this light in the UK, do you need a triple?

Eh, doesn’t it come with a 53/39? 😕

iainc

But is ‘best value’ best riding package ? Innocent question, as an owner of a 12 defy composite with the ‘old’ Ultegra, which I can’t really fault.

hora
    Free Member

No its 50/34 11*28

njee20
    Free Member

No its 50/34 11*28

They’re talking about the RT-57, which doesn’t come with a compact chainset according to tthew, conqueror took that to mean triple. I, like iainc assume that meant 53/39.

manton69

If you are lucky enough to have a cycle to work scheme you can get it on that as well. I makes it an absolute bargin with that deal and I nearly pulled the trigger on Friday when I found that was the case.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good value that. £500 groupset, £500 frame so the bits are free. Perfectly serviceable frames, I personally prefer a cheaper alloy frame to my SL Pro (I once owned)

New Ultegra takes 34 and 39 rings, and either 50 or 53 outers and any combo you want.

hora
    Free Member

Value is a misleading word.

Value implies lower quality bargain.

The Pro Xs kit alone is way beyond value kit.

Its a steal.

natrix
    Free Member

It’s a deal, it’s a steal, it’s the sale of the bleedin’ century!!!

(Mine’s on order, in pearl white)

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

yeaaaaa… if it looks to good to be true it often is!

hora
    Free Member

True. Theyll wake up and offer 105 5700 instead.. 😉

Bregante

So have you bought one then hora?

RustySpanner

I wish you could fit 2 bottle cages on the small.

hora
    Free Member

Bregante oui. Going to Tour de France you’

DT78
    Free Member

Well, if they did this level of spec on the XLS I’ve been hovering over I think I would have to buy it…despite the fact it doesn’t have rack or guard mounts…

taxi25
    Free Member

Great value definitely 😀 But how do they ride compared to similar priced bikes,perhaps with slightly lower level of kit. Ultegra wont make up for a dead feeling uninspired ride. Not had a chance to ride that frame, has anyone who’s ridden a load of stuff got an unbiased opinion ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, if they did this level of spec on the XLS I’ve been hovering over I think I would have to buy it…

Indeedy.

rascal
    Free Member

I had this dilemma recently too. I’ve cut and pasted my contribution to a roadie forum on a very similar thread below…in a nutshell, I didn’t feel ‘inspired’ by the PX, but then everyone’s different, you might love it.

“I had an alu Airborne Thunderbolt until recently – nice 9 speed Campag Veloce (9-10 years old) – quite a harsh ride though so wanted a smoother, more relaxed ride.
    Looked at a Defy Composite which was lovely but £1600. Tried a PX Pro in Rotherham – yes it’s a lot of kit on a carbon frame but didn’t feel better than the Airborne TBH so went off the idea straight away – it felt a bit ‘cheap’. Then I noticed a Cube Agree Pro 2013 on Chain Reaction – £1400 down to £930! Tried one and that swung it. I’m no expert but my first ride had me smiling and I have no regrets whatsoever. Cuts out so much road ‘noise’ and feels almost floaty smooth. Quite a relaxed geometry (short TT and higher front end) with decent kit – Aksiums, 105, Ultegra (rear mech) 10 speed groupset, Easton finishing kit. Ok – the brakes and c/set are cheaper but absolutely fine and can be upgraded when they wear out. Respectable weight, stiff and looks bloody ace! Everyone has different opinions/experience etc but I am very happy with it – you CAN get a half decent carbon bike for under a grand by looking at last year’s bikes if you’re not bothered about the latest kit. Go for the Cube (FWIW I got the 58cm an I am 6′ – it’s spot-on size wise)”

Yes the PX has better kit, but the Cube feels like a better bike – to me anyway 🙂

EDIT: Brant – has the spec changed as I’m pretty sure the one I tried less than 2 months ago in Rotherham was 10 speed Ultegra and a downgraded c/set?? The RT57 had full 11 speed Ultegra.

brant
    Free Member

EDIT: Brant – has the spec changed as I’m pretty sure the one I tried less than 2 months ago in Rotherham was 10 speed Ultegra and a downgraded c/set?? The RT57 had full 11 speed Ultegra.

Pro Carbon at £999 has full 6800 Ultegra 11, inc calipers, cassette, chain, crank. The lot. And FSA Vision 30 wheels which are fast as you like. Not Superlight, but I’d take aero over lightweight unless I was an 8 stone climber.

mav12
    Free Member

brant is 56 the biggest frame think it may be a small for me i am 6ft 5. do they leave the steerer uncut as i want the front high as possible thx

brant
    Free Member

At 6’5″, yes, you are probably a bit tall.

56 with a 350 post probably won’t give you enough seat height.

duckman

Angus council cycle scheme middle of May is going to be an easy choice this year. Currently use an alfined Cdf for the commute,wonder if I will feel the benefit of something 8lb lighter 😆 since Brant is reading this,6″ 3″ and 95ish kg, too tall and chunky for the 58 rt57?

brant
    Free Member

RT57 is our racey little number – good to go at that size.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Planet X pro carbon, best value road bike?’ is closed to new replies.