Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Pit Stop Tailors on the M1/A1 – Help!
  • peekay

Hi all.

We are in Surrey, on Wednesday we are driving up to the Lake District for a wedding.

I’ve just remembered that my only suit is now too small/knackered, and I don’t have anywhere local to buy a new one, or time before setting off to go somewhere to buy one.

I used to have many nice suits, wearing them each day for work, but as work had become less formal, WFH more prevalent, and the office closed following Covid they have all disappeared somewhere.

I was given a strict order by my wife that I must get a new suit for this wedding, and I haven’t told her yet that I have forgotten/failed.

Our plan is to drive up via M25, M1 or A1 to Doncaster, A1 then across the A66.

Ideally there will be a huge, well stocked M&S, Next, or something else about 2 minutes off our route, so that I can suggest we “pop in here for a leg stretch instead of the services”, I’ll then sprint to the menswear department, quickly pick up a suit and meet her in the queue for the ladies toilets before she knows what has happened. However, I’ve no idea where we might be able to do this, and think it is best to have a plan and back up option before we set off.

Is anyone aware of anywhere on our route that might work? Or any other advice?

Thanks

slowol

Meadowhell.

I vouch for it having a decent Greggs if nothing else and it’s less than a mile from the M1. Has every flavour of large shop you do and don’t want.

https://www.meadowhall.co.uk/

Edit: if that doesn’t work out then M&S in the Metro Centre has a dedicated suit department but would then be a bit extra North and go to the Lakes on the A69 from there

Tracey

Lakeside Village at Doncaster and Junction 32 at Castleford are both a few minutes from the A1
    Boundary Mills Outlet is a couple of minutes down the Sheffield Parkway

peekay

I grew up not too far from Meadowhall, and although it will probably have a few options, it always seemed like a time vacuum to get off the motorway, navigate the car park, walk the length of the shopping centre to get to the store I need and then reverse the journey. Minimum 1hr on to the journey without the time in the suit shop.

Plus, going via that bit of the M1 means Sheffield and Leeds sections which are usually a lot slower than the M18/A1 bit.

Good option though as a back up.

peekay

Lakeside Village at Doncaster

Is that place near Donny Dome still going? Last time I went there the only things open were a Clarks shoes factory seconds shop, and. Thornton’s chocolate place selling mis-shapen chocolate Santas in June.

and Junction 32 at Castleford

Is that the McArthur Glen place? I’m a pretty standard size and last time I went to one of those places they only had obscure size, or mismatched suits in most of the shops

*Edit. Sorry for the negative post. I’m panicking

peekay

@slowol I think that the Metro Center and A69 is a bit far out of my way to sneak it in un-noticed.

I guess that I could go up the M40/M6. That might open up a few options.

That route would pass Bicester village; but similar to McArthur Glen and Meadowhall, I imagine that it would not be a quick stop .I think a single, large, out of town M&S would be preferable if there is one.

slowol

I don’t think Meadowhall necessarily takes longer than anywhere else if you plan it on the map provided it’s not rush hour but if you venture from the one shop you planned to go to it sucks the life out of you like any shopping ‘destination’. Also could be a lunch stop if coming up from Surrey. I often used it as a lunch stop when I had regular meetings down in Rotherham and Gregg’s there was as easy stop as anywhere else.

Never been to the other places above but all sound good calls.

Other option if you know what you want is click and collect order suit to MandS food in Penrith or similar.

If it gets totally desperate there is always:
    https://www.oxfam.org.uk/shops/oxfam-shop-keswick/

peekay

click and collect order suit to MandS food in Penrith or similar.

Genius!

Thank you.

timba
    Free Member

Fosse Park Leicester…2 mins from M1
    Brand new Next and a decent M&S. Primarni and George as well

kayak23

Ideally there will be a huge, well stocked M&S, Next, or something else about 2 minutes off our route

Of course there will.
    Pretty much describes every identikit out of town retail park (bleugh…) up and down this country every 30 miles or so…

swdan
    Free Member

I’d be seeing if I could order today and get next day delivery to my house. Order a few sizes, pick one that fits best and pack in the car before you leave, seems much less stress.
    I very rarely find the suit combo I need in stock 42L/34L so being able to pay £4.99 for next day from M&S just seems like a no brainer.

blue77
    Free Member

East Midlands designer outlet

https://www.mcarthurglen.com/en/outlets/uk/designer-outlet-east-midlands/

Really close to Jct 28 on the M1.

wheelsonfire1

Another for Mc ArthurGlen, REALLY close to jct 28 M1. My mate buys his M & S suits there.

peekay

After spending a few hours last night on M&S, Moss Bross, John Lewis, Tywritt, Lewin and Next, it seems that there is almost zero stock for either delivery or collection in store in my pretty unremarkably average size combo. The only things available are either shiny shiny or Love Island pastel.

Almost everything is available in larger and smaller sizes

Such a frustrating process trying to find a suit from one of the off the peg places. Given they are usually a two piece set made up of two individual items, so few websites allow you to apply a triple filter for ‘jacket size’ and ‘trouser size’ and ‘in stock’.

Given the warehouses don’t seem to have stock in my sizes, I’m not holding much hope of a random M&S/Next in a retail park having much available that fits.

peekay

East Midlands designer outlet

Another for Mc ArthurGlen

Thanks. That looks like a very good option.

Rich_s

At the risk of commenting on sartorial matters, sports jacket and trousers? It is the height of summer, after all. Then you can happily order the two halves. And pastel just works
    yum

lunge

Suits are out of many stores, M&S included, at the moment so there’s no way I’d be taking a punt.
    Can you order for next day delivery from Slaters? Or even get it delivered to the hotel you’re staying at? They’ll almost certainly have something in your size, just not sure on their delivery options

dissonance

There is a pretty large M&S just off junction 22 on the M25 so between the M1/A1 junctions.
    If you get really desperate and that doesnt work then stop off in the Galleria in hatfield (okay selling that as a leg stretch would be a ermm, stretch) since than has a M&S outlet which might have some random stuff in there plus a couple of other similar places.

frankconway

First thing you should do is tell your wife; after she calms down she will probably come up with a better suggestion than anyone on this thread.

Edit: some bespoke tailors offer a hire service for weddings so get online to find one or more in your area, get on phone to them, explain circumstances and ask if they can arrange a hire at very short notice.

Cougar

If stock is low, is there anywhere you could hire one from perhaps?

Damn it, simultaneous edit.

chakaping
    Free Member

You could call in the huge M&S at Brookfield Farm in Cheshunt. Just a short detour on the A10.

There’s a Next and possibly another menswear shop across the road too.

Then carry on up the A10 and cut across to the A1 on the A414.

You really need to tell your missus now though.

stumpy01

From memory, going south towards the North….

The Galleria at Hatfield.

A1 retail park (south of Biggleswade) has an M&S. A stones throw off the A1.

Serpentine Green @ Hampton, Peterborough has a Next. About a 10min diversion off the A1

Brotherhood retail Park in Peterborough has a Next & an M&S – <15mins off the A1

Centre of Peterborough has a Moss Bros & can be got to about 15mins off A1.

Centre of Stamford has a few fancy suit places. About 10 mins off the A1.

2tyred

Having driven up the A1(M) yesterday, I’d say you were sorted if you needed American style food served in a diner or adult sex toy supplies, not sure if either of those help?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Have you tried buying a suit recently…

Unless you are –

48 short
    28 long

Your ****ed

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Anyway how come your wife is not aware of your lack of new suit? Mine knows current status of all my socks (by pair)

timba
    Free Member

Having driven up the A1(M) yesterday, I’d say you were sorted if you needed American style food served in a diner or adult sex toy supplies, not sure if either of those help?

Lincolnshire? Try the A1 Stadium Truckstop diner at Colsterworth. The. Best. Breakfast. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g3681159-d3863413-Reviews-A1_Truckstop_diner-Colsterworth_Lincolnshire_England.html
    Whatever I say about the other shop will be misinterpreted 🙂

hels
    Free Member

I was about to post what oldmanmtb said! It is either a massive fail on supervision on her part or she is letting you sweat. Also what is wrong with old suits? Given difficulty of sourcing new ones etc. Find one that fits and get it dry-cleaned tell her you decided to wear what you wanted as you are a grown up adult person who can dress himself.

susepic

If all else fails, make like Harry Styles, come over all metrosexual and borrow one of her summer frocks. It’ll be more comfortable in the heat as well.

hels
    Free Member

Dresses are definitely more comfortable in the heat I concur! You could do a David Beckham style sarong for the later evening event.

thebunk

We can sort this surely. M&S may have let you down, but surely STW can come up with something better than “wear a dress”, or “tell your wife”, or worst still “wear one you already have”. Ignore these daft suggestions!

Instead, surely putting your route up and stating your suit requirements on here (size/cut/style/colour/material?) will get loads of bike minded people to check their wardrobes for barely used brand new suits. Next a mutually agreed meet up point at a petrol station, or a hilariously engineered reason why you’d need to stop off at a random persons house and disappear upstairs with them for 5 minutes (oh, and again on the way home). Once the deed is done you’ll be suited and sartorially celebrated.

I’ve got various grey and navy suits, 42S Jacket, 32S trousers. If you are my size all I’d ask is for a small donation to a charity of my choice plus you have to post a pic on here of you wearing another mans clothes next to your unsuspecting wife.

I’m in Bristol though so hopefully we can do better than that.

A less fun and stylish option could be our favourite tax avoiding, worker exploiting, eco disaster of a company. Suspect they will deliver a suit to your hotel or venue in time. Either way, I’m massively invested in this thread. Please post updates.

MoreCashThanDash

Fake a positive covid test and avoid the whole thing?

I’m assuming being honest with your other half is out of the question?

peekay

Thanks for all of the input.

A summary of my options:

– wrap my thighs and waist in cling film and stand in the sun for the next day to sweat out enough weight to fit in to the only suit I can find at home.

– borrow a dress and own the Conchita look

– arrange to meet an internet stranger somewhere on my route to borrow a suit, that will most likely be a batman costume.

– A1 lay-by sex shop gentleman’s leather and pvc outfit.

– Hot day discount clothing outlet hell, where I am unlikely to find a matching suit in my size, but will be able to buy a Tog-24 fleece.

– Meadowhell

– hope that the suit I ordered online a) arrives in time and b) fits

– stuff pillows under my shirt, and crawl around with my shoes on my knees wearing the only other sized suits that I can find in a tasteful colour

– don’t go to the wedding and spend the day riding in the Lakes instead

hels
    Free Member

That last option sounds great! How much Covid can excuse you from a wedding but make it OK to ride your bike?

andybrad

tbh recently dragged myself around Huddersfield and Halifax and couldnt get a suit anywhere. Most are order in from what i found.

i would suggest meadowhell or go casual. i doubt youll fnd a lot at meadowhell suitable and its going to take hours!

Straightliner

Where in Surrey are you? They do have shops in most parts of the county. As you were considering M&S near the route, there’s a big M&S at Weybridge which could be worth a visit before the journey (perhaps).

bentandbroken

Can you not go to your local Moss Bros suit hire shop, get measured, then arrange to pick up suit from the store near where the wedding is? That’s how formal /matching/ wedding attire is arranged when the grooms party live in diverse areas

jamesco

At Meadowhell you park right outside M&S , send wifey to foodhall / cafe , you trot straight to menswear , loads of ‘get out of jail’ options. If not Next is close by……

slowol

It may be one of the seven circles but there is a reason why a lot of people end up in Meadowhell. I guess we just all have to chill and embrace the fact that life ends up there at some point. Yes it might take hours, yes you will have to explain to you significant other why you’ll need a lengthy stop but you will then get to experience that rare joy of ‘going shopping together’, that thing the internet was supposed to save us from.
    Hope your online order fits, if not at least you might get a Gregg’s lunch as consolation prize and if you’re canny you might get to park outside a shop that has a suit in your size (other food outlets are available but that involves an even longer stop at Meadowhell) 😉

tjagain

Lolz at the bunk

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.