Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pirelli cinturato armour tech tubeless road tyres
  • damascus
    Free Member

After running schwalbe pro one 25mm and 28mm tyres tubeless for a couple of years and finding the puncture protection a bit rubbish I’ve decided to try something else.  Almost losing my front wheel at a roundabout last week made me want something with a bit more tread for winter too.

My lbs did me a good deal on a pair of pirelli cinturato armour tech tyres in 26mm

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/pirelli-cinturato-bike-tyre-52354/

Slightly heavier than the pro ones at 300g but with significantly more puncture protection. The tyre also has a bit of extra rubber around the edge designed to catch air to assist with setting up tubeless.

Ill fit them this week and use them for riding to work on and report back

Had anyone else tried them? Am I making a huge mistake? Or are these the future?

Thanks

scaredypants

Interested to hear how they go

Pro-ones are pretty light-duty, nowhere near the robustness of the original “one”.  I’m on spesh roubaix currently (30/32).  Ded comfy and haven’t slid about much but haven’t done much wet roadying on them as yet

steve_b77
    Free Member

I rode Roubaix Pro 2bliss most of the late winter and spring commuting on roads & gravel paths and they were ace

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    damascus
    Free Member

My new wheels arrived last night so I finally installed the tyres.

I tried to put the schwalbe pro 28mm tyres on the new wheels, dt Swiss 411 DB rims but no matter what I tried couldn’t do it. Valve out, inflator, washing up liquid etc.

Then put the cinturatos on my old wheels that I’m using for winter. Left the valve in and used a track pump and they started going up. They didn’t stay up without sealant.

Added sealant and pumped up again with valves in and a track pump. They went straight up. Bounced the wheels and rotated them and they sealed.

They are the easiest wheels to set up tubeless I have ever used. Perhaps the extra rubber flange they have actually does work to trap air.

I’ll test them this weekend and let you know how they roll.

damascus
    Free Member

First ride out Sunday. Part of the ride was 15 miles along the canal over mixed ground. Tyres are grippy, not top harsh and seem to roll well.

I had a few pbs and up some big hills not too far off my best which considering how unfit I am at the moment isn’t bad.

Tyres have held air well. Overall, very impressed with them. Will see how they fair as I commute on them. See if the extra puncture protection is better than the swhalbes.

So far, so good.

damascus
    Free Member

3 month Review:

I’ve been really impressed with these tyres. So far, no flats (touch wood) and no little nicks that my schwalbe one tyres used to get.

At my level I’ve not noticed they are slower than my other tyres and I’ve not struggled to keep up with anyone else using schwalbe one tyres.

On my commute home, a 9 mile, 1100ft climb im about a minute off my pb which could be fitness rather than rolling resistance.

This is a really good review with some good stats. Good grip, good rolling resistance and great puncture protection.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/pirelli-cinturato-velo-2018

Has anyone else been using them?

twowheels
    Free Member

I’ve been using the 28mm version mostly for commuting (also with canal towpath stretch). I bought them after seeing the good reviews. Previously I’ve been loyal to Conti (GP4S or GP4000 S2) and was planning to buy GP5000. Sounds like you prefer them to the Schwalbe, which is reassuring (as I was also looking at those).

So far I am also pleased although haven’t set them up tubeless (hopefully next week). They are indeed noticeably heavier (when picking them up) than GP4000 SII but as you say they don’t seem too sluggish (I used the back one for Birmingham Velo).

damascus
    Free Member

If I was racing I’d go with schwalbe pro ones but I find they just don’t last, they puncture and seal at 40 psi. They are an expensive tyre to throw away just because they don’t work tubeless.

I’ve got a massive 2 day ride coming up and I can’t decide between rolling resistance pro ones and puncture protection pirelli.

damascus
    Free Member

How’s everyone getting on with their cinturato tyres?

I seem to run schwalbe pro ones in summer because they are set up on my best wheels tubeless and cinturatos on my winter wheels tubeless and I’ve been too lazy to swop them.

The pro ones have done more miles but the rear isn’t looking very good.

The cinturatos look almost new and have far more grip in bad weather. I’ve not noticed much difference in times on Strava either.

When the schwalbes go I will just keep the pirellis on all year round.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pirelli cinturato armour tech tubeless road tyres’ is closed to new replies.