Home Forums Bike Forum Pipedream A.L.I.C.E – thoughts?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pipedream A.L.I.C.E – thoughts?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade my 2017 Plug Ti and I think this is top of my list. Anyone got one, had one? Thoughts? I know it’s much heavier than my current frame but that is not an issue.

oldfart

Our son has had one for a few years now , uses it for commuting , touring , whip the racks and panniers off then MTBing as well . If you want any more info let me know and I’ll let him know .

pisco

I’ve had one for over three years. It’s mainly my XC commuter, but is very versatile; I’ve done plenty of road and trail, had it single speed, and towing a cargo trailer. It’s by far my most-used bike.

Happy to answer any specific questions.

TheGingerOne

Looks like Pipedream have just been sold so not sure what they are currently like for ordering and communication etc. hopefully not an issue, but might be worth being aware of

matt_outandabout

That’s interesting. Who bought them?

thorpey0
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I have seen contradicting info on the rear brake mount. Post mount is mentioned but so is flat mount. I need flat mount, anyone know if it is?

On their ‘data sheet’ it says that a flat mount dropout is available.

I had heard they have changed hands, but not worried about that.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Is the weight noticeable, it’s quite heavy and 800g heavier than my current gravel frame.

pisco

My one is an older model which was post mount only, so I bought the GRX groupset, then flogged the GRX callipers and bought some Deores.

It’s my understanding that the current model has the FM adaptor included.

I’ve never understood when people say on gravel threads here that a hardtail is just as fast as a gravel bike – absolutely not IME.

Comparing a Stanton Sherpa (then a Stif Squatch) with carbon wheels and bars to the alu-wheeled A.L.I.C.E. there is a huge difference, and it’s not in the weight. It feels more spritely, and is (per Strava) faster  on smooth XC and flowy trails.

Anyway, this thread needs pics

matt_outandabout

^ niiiice.
    I think I need to go tanwall on my Vagabond.

I would have preferred an ALICE, but the Vagabond was much cheapness…

nbt

< insert Smokie / Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown song joke >

pinkracer

Built mine 3 years ago and it’s my go to bike, it does everything I need.  Happy to share spec or more details if you wishIMG_0552IMG_0346

thorpey0
    Free Member

Great photos! I know that Pipedream have been bought out, I have been in contact with them and Ian has been really helpful. I pulled the trigger on a frame yesterday. I’ll update the thread once I have it next week.

Sharing specs/builds would be great folks!

timmycee
    Free Member

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmobhzKsFDz/?igsh=bTFseG5hd3V5MjJn

Here’s mine. XC on a road bike is how I’d describe my idea of ‘gravel’ and it handles it a dream.

Steel fork because it’s real. Full GRX810 with the Garbaruk cage mod for a 51t cassette, with a 38t up front. 29×2.2 Terravail Rutland. Since this post, it’s now dropper-less and sporting Ritchey Corralitos.

Absolutely love it for my tastes in ‘gravel’ and any interaction I’ve had with Pipedream themselves has been great.

Also, small PSA, if you’ve a size large, there’s an Invisiframe kit for it because Lee is a hero.

thorpey0
    Free Member

Good to know Invisiframe do a kit! Great photo and nice looking bike. I am running Terravail Cannonball’s in 650b at the mo.

Guessing you have a large. What length stem are you running?

timmycee
    Free Member

Be good to sell a kit to justify the time taken to design mine ?

Definitely rate the Rutlands for mixed terrain/ATB type riding. Don’t feel draggy on tarmac and good grip off road, and loads of volume for comfort.

70mm stem IIRC, with 500mm at the hoods bars. I’m 5’11 on a good day, with broad shoulders, and fits mint.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.