• This topic has 217 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Clink.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 218 total)
  • Pinnacle Ramin One
  • jameso

#38 looks more like it but only as I can see the shape at the back – I’ll mail you a PDF if you PM me an address.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Anyone ridden the Ramin 4?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The Ramin 1 is now priced at £500. Still a good deal but now I’m in a position to get one, I’d feel a bit upset knowing it used to be £400.

daveh
    Free Member

It was good value at £386.50 😀 😆 😳

If you buy the full bike you get a spare hanger too!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Well, I know it’s not the same model, but I took out my new Ramin 4 tonight and really enjoyed it.

Seems to carry speed well and managed to get some good air on some local jumps too. Nice and lively! Will ditch the basic pedals and suspect I’ll upgrade the damper at the first fork service but otherwise ‘Tick VG!’

daveh
    Free Member

Just figured out why my Ramin 1 (commuter edition 😀 ) is such fun, with 35C tyres the bottom bracket height is less than 11.5 inch! 😈 Mind those pedals!

walktheline
    Free Member

Bought one of these in December. Its been in the garage ever since. I paid £400 and I’ve just spent £105 on a full narrow wide 10 speed upgrade. It’s now looking amazing value for the £505 I’ve spent. One question I have though is does anyone have opinions on the brakes (shimano entry level hydros) or the tyres (conti x king)?

alanofm
    Free Member

What kind of 10 speed set-up did you go for? How is it running?

I’d say the brakes are surprisingly good. They don’t have the same bite as some of the higher end models but I weigh over 14 stone with backpack and they have no problem stopping me in a hurry. I mentioned before that I rode Avid Elixr 5’s previously, and whilst they had bags of power, I always had problems with rubbing, squealing etc. The basic Shimano’s work silently and consistently, even in the mud – give them a chance and see for yourself.

The tyres are ok, they do roll pretty well and will do a decent job in dry conditions, but they’re not the grippiest when things get wet. I have been running mine through winter and plan to upgrade to something a bit lighter for summer.

I have found that everything on the bike functions pretty well, there is definitely room for upgrades, but it will get you round the trails off the shelf.

walktheline
    Free Member

I haven’t fitted the bits yet or even ridden the bike for that matter. I got a narrow wide works ring, slx cassette, slx chain, xt shifter and deore shadow plus mech.
    I may fit the zee 10 speed stuff off another bike though as im going to split/sell.
    The tyres look like a good summer tyre but I worry about puncture resistance with low-ish pressure. Glad your enjoying life with it. I didn’t really have a place for it at the time of purchase but really wanted one as soon as I saw it. For the money I’ve paid inc upgrades I couldn’t be happier, really happy with the frame quality aswel.

alanofm
    Free Member

Very nice! You will need to post a picture when it’s all put together, and actually ride it!

I managed to find a very good online deal for an XT shadow derailleur, shifter, chain and cassette for a 1×9 set up that I decided to go for. However, I still have respect for the Altus gear for putting up with the beating I gave it over the last few months. There was quite a price difference between 9 speed and 10 speed components, so I decided to stick with 9 speed as it has served all my purposes up until now.

I suppose it all depends on where and how you ride, but I have been lucky so far and had no punctures and I run my tyres quite soft.

daveh
    Free Member

Upgradeitus continues here too, new wheels! The bike certainly is nice/fun etc enough to justify it so why not! Hope Hoops Crest, XT cassette and some lighter tyres has shed a barely believable, wait for it, 1.6kg from the wheelset (42c tyres mind you)! £/g on that one is amazing! As you’d guess, has totally transformed the bike.

alanofm
    Free Member

That is an unbelievable saving!

I don’t think I will be shedding anything like that any time soon. I will keep the wheels the bike came with for now and do some lighter (more inexpensive) tinkering.

Out of interest, what tyres did you go for?

daveh
    Free Member

Conti SpeedRides, 42c. Quite a nice tyre by all accounts but I think I’ve thought better of them for my urban detritus commute. Schwalbe Marathon Supremes (28×2.0) will add 400 and some grams back but I hope will save me from glass strikes!

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Does anybody know if the Ramin 1 wheelset will accept a 10 speed cassette? Apparently the hub is Shimano FH-M475 6-bolt disc

Thanks

sv

Yep it will take a SRAM/Shimano 10spd cassette.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just bought myself one of these. First ride at the weekend, and very nice for the money.

Can’t comment on the Altus 9 speed the bike comes with, as fitted 10 speed bits from the off. Reason being, I had to change the 32T front ring anyway, as not many hills in my part of the world, so figured I would chang the whole lot while I was at it.

Other than popping on some ODI grips I got given ages back, and a Charge spoon, it’s going to stay stock. Would like to go for a lighter tubeless wheelset and upgrade the ‘agricultural but functional’ brakes, but that’s getting away from what this bike is about. A cheap and cheerful 29er.

As an aside when did 720mm bars become the norm? Going to take a bit of getting used to after 4 years on drops.

daveh
    Free Member

and a carbon fork for another 700+ grams…

mikertroid
    Free Member

Not that it’s exactly on thread but I’ve been having a great time on my Ramin 4.

It’s done several hundered rocky and loose downhill miles (volcanic rock) and is a riot.
    The conti tyres didn’t last long (nor is the replacement purgatory rear) and pad wear is quick (will only accept resin pads with disc) but it’s otherwise fab.

I’m so chuffed I’m going to get another next year (prob the Ramin 5) to hoon around in the UK.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Dave

You running tubeless?

Also, how much were the wheels?

daveh
    Free Member

You running tubeless?
    Also, how much were the wheels?

Not quite yet, the marathons aren’t tubeless ready and have pin holes in them that I couldn’t get to seal up. I’m back on tubes for the moment but will probably try again at some point because I’m not sure the sealant I used was in the best state (and I forgot to shake it! 😳 ).

Wheels were £250 though I dropped on quite a good deal.

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t suppose you weighed the original wheelset when you took them off, Dave?

Just wondering how much of a saving I might make switching to some diff wheels, but same-ish tyres.

daveh
    Free Member

Certainly did, whether I’ve still got the numbers is a different thing! I’ll have a look…

Jamie
    Free Member

Cheers, fella.

I promised myself I wasn’t going to upgrade the bike, and it’s already got a full 10sp drivetrain, and possibly some new wheels.

Whoops.

daveh
    Free Member

It’s all a bit messy but if I’m interpreting my scribbles correctly the front is 1115g (no skewer or rotor) and the rear 1341g (no skewer, rotor or cassette).

On the plus side the bike does stand upgrading, the frame really is quite nice.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmm, so a new 1.9-2kg wheelset, running tubeless should free up nearly 1kg. Interesting.

Thanks for that, Dave.

Jamie
    Free Member

daveh:

If you buy the full bike you get a spare hanger too!

Just realised, I didn’t get one. Did everyone else?

daveh
    Free Member

Changing the wheels makes a big old difference, more quickening up the handling than noticable improvement in acceleration to my feel.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I didnt get a hanger either, anyone else?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Not with my R4

Jamie
    Free Member

@Dave

Forgot to ask, did you weigh the original fork?

Also, what is going on with that fork you have fitted?

Specifically here:

Looks weird compared to what I assume is the same fork on the O-O site.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Out of interest is it a standard 1 1/8th head tube or can it take tapered forks?

daveh
    Free Member

Forgot to ask, did you weigh the original fork?

But of course, 1400g.

Also, what is going on with that fork you have fitted?

That be my super special patent pending mudguard, black tape wrapped around the legs to prevent water being thrown at my face. Fast commuter see 🙂 You should also be able to make out my super special patent pending lower headset cup seal too! 😀

Out of interest is it a standard 1 1/8th head tube or can it take tapered forks?

Is it 44mm? Anyway, it’ll take a tapered fork but only with an external bottom headset cup, keeping it nice and flush (and low more importantly) as per original then it’s 1/8th only.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Thanks……1400g’s …..oooh la la !!

alanofm
    Free Member

1400g is wild! I am in the process of upgrading my Ramin one, but haven’t yet decided what to do about the fork. I have been looking at getting a carbon fork that is under 600 grams or perhaps going for a Manitou Tower Pro. Seeing how little extra weight it would be to add a front shock in comparison to the stock fork makes the decision even more complicated.

Can’t wait to get my bike back in its new guise.

jameso

1400g is a ‘suprise’ here. Tube spec is same as another fork I have here that’s little over 1000g. The crown shape adds some weight but not that much. Off to check..

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

So I’m buying some Rebas with a tapered steerer, would a Hope Mix & Match HSCF Traditional Bottom 1.5″ be what I need??

Thanks

Nath

nedrapier

Looking around for bikes for my brother in law and I’ve landed on these for the moment. Ticking more bockses than anything else so far.

jameso – did you get to the bottom of the fork weight?

jameso

I did – it’s correct, I mis-judged what the added length (470mm vs 450mm) and the crown shape added. I got 1350-1370g. I expected a bit over 1100g.

nedrapier

aha, ta! Just more potential for weight savings!

daveh
    Free Member

2015 model has been enduro’d, love the color:

Might buy another..!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 218 total)

The topic ‘Pinnacle Ramin One’ is closed to new replies.