Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pike Dual position? reliable? good for a biffer? bottomless tokens? whats that?
  • lardman
    Free Member

Always run Marzocchis up until now, but need a lighter fork than my current 55’s in 650b flavour.

Pike most likely candidate, but i’m unused to the variations of RS forks and what that means for tune-ability etc: reasonable deals right now on the ‘Dual position’ air version. Or, if i could find them i’d be more than happy with a cheaper ‘solo’ air.

I’m a biffer who flattens the scales at 110kgs, so i’m guessing i might need something called ‘bottomless tokens’ to remonstrate with my very ‘bottomed’ shape. Can the Dual position airs use bottomless tokens?

The fork will flit between my hardtail and lighter weight FS, so travel adjust would be useful if it works and doesn’t implode every few miles. I’ll likely run them at 150mm in most cases tho’.

any views on the differences and/or issues with ‘dual position’ fork?

Thanks in advance.
    Lard.

cooie

Of what l’ve read the solo airs are the better ones.

acidchunks

I love my DPs but have no experience of the solo to compare it to.

Bottom less tokens weren’t available for the dp before but looks like they’ve started making them. Cheap pikes will likely be 2014 or 2015 and so won’t have any fitted.

Haven’t seen any for sale over here yet, if you see any please let me know as I’d like to try a couple. 🙂

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/bottomless-tokens

Tracey

We are running two sets of 2015 DPs, Kevins set has been first class mine very troublesome. Got my set for Christmas and they packed in after three rides. Went back under warranty and replaced. They failed after eight rides, unfortunately at the start of our Verbier holiday, leaking oil from the bottom of the right leg and the rebound had packed in, got them repaired in Switzerland but not under warranty at a cost of £200 so we could continue our holidays. SRAM service centre not interested as their take is that they should have been brought back broken to be delt with in the UK even if it spoiled the rest of the holiday. Not a good responce considering we have Rockshox fitted to seven bikes.

cakefacesmallblock

I probably have about 500 miles on my dual position Pike .
    No issues at all.
    Other than a few brief rides on mates bikes , like acidchunks, I can’t comment on solo air.
    I know there have been a few criticisms levelled in mag reviews, but as 75kg rider, my DP does everything I need it to and it seems to suit my Trance SX very well.
    That said, I hardly ever use the shorter position, just a few times on very long fire road climbs, but don’t really notice any great assistance !

woodster

My DPAs are feeling like the solo Airs I’ve tried which is very good. Unlike lock-out I can see me using the travel adjust quite a lot, but really I’d just get the solo airs if you’re unsure whether you’ll need it/bother.

Bought some tokens from the US and I’ve now got 3 fitted so it ramps up nicely. Too early to say on reliability, but Sram have been pretty decent warranty wise for mates.

lardman
    Free Member

Ok, thanks for the tips everyone. I reckon the SOlo air version would be the wiser choice then. As soon as i find a nice discounted set, i’ll try ’em.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pike Dual position? reliable? good for a biffer? bottomless tokens? whats that?’ is closed to new replies.