Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • photo tripod
  • johnny_met
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a photo tripod/monopod. Needs to be light so it can be strapped to a backpack. Using it for snowboarding/mtbing. Ta

matt_outandabout

I have a basic Slik that was left in lost property at work. It is stable enough, but is heavyish and I suspect not as easy to use as a more expensive one.
    But, like in biking, it does pretty much all of what an expensive one does, and the difference becomes splitting hairs.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Budget?

Light will either mean cheap and flimsy or carbon-fibre legs and therefore expensive.

I’ve got a Red Snapper tripod which is excellent for the money but probably too heavy to be carting around.

They do a “squat” version which might fit the bill but at 1.5kg it may be too heavy.

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/Squat_Tripod.html#nogo

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Or the monopod:

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RSM_284_Monopod.html#nogo

Though you’d need to add a head.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

This would do the job very nicely Traveler

Hoff

I have the Velbon Ultra Luxi M – Pretty compact, lightweight & sturdy enough for DLSR with a 18-270mm lens. Think I paid about £55 a couple of year back.

Velbon Ultra

Took it trekking & has been up to the top of Kilimanjaro with me.

RustySpanner

Completely pointless buying one that is ‘ok’:
    If there is any movement/play whatsoever, the tripod is useless.

IME, this is one of those areas where it’s actually worth spending a bit of cash for a nice one.

I’ve a Manfrotto, but way too heavy for carrying around on the bike.
    Gitzo are generally recognised as the best, but you’ll pay lots.

I use an old Leica telescopic one for bike trips – you can pick them up very cheaply s/h and depending on how big your camera is you might just get away with it.
    Very small though, only about a foot in heigh when fully extended.

The Gorillapods seem to get good reviews.

sharkattack

try visiting a real life shop you can find tripods in odd places.
    i’ve got a couple of mini tripods, about 15 inches long folded up.

i found one in aldi for £5 and the other in a bargain bin at currys for, you guessed it, £5 because it was in ripped box.

i use them loads with the compact camera and for holding flashes with the SLR. they’re not the most robust things in the world but when camera shake is an issue i use the self timer because your big finger pushing the button WILL move the camera no matter how hard you try not to.

or of course, just spend hundreds of pounds on a manfrotto

kristoff
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a Three legged thing

Extremely well engineered and lightweight (especially in carbon variety).

molgrips
    Free Member

Completely pointless buying one that is ‘ok’

No, it’s not. Even the cheapest one will be steadier than hand held and will support the camera without you holding it. So not pointless at all. You can use the self timer as above and if you have it, the mirror delay function that flips the mirror 2 seconds before the shutter goes. Obviously not ideal but still better than nothing.

Yes nicer ones are more durable, and will reduce camera vibrations, but it’ll still be steadier than hand held. Only worry with cheap crap is that it might not support the weight of your cam so the lens might droop.

Monopods are a funny old thing. You need to know how to use them properly otherwise they don’t do much, but with a bit of creativity you can do an awful lot. I had one before I had a tripod, so I’d do things like strap it to a railing or wedge it against a tree with my body for a solid tripod like support. It’s surprising how much you can do with just one leg. Depending on snow, if you are boarding you could stick it in the ground for self support 🙂 They are also quicker to get out and set up than a tripod.

ampthill

It does depend what the OP wants to do and what camera they have

If its to hold the camera for self timer shots then anything will do

But if its to allow slower shutter speeds a cheap tripod doesn’t beat hand held, in my experience. If its a DSLR that can’t fire the mirror the almost nothing will work. Its the main black mark against my Nion D70s

Dibbs
    Free Member

I bought one of these:-
    Manfrotto 694CX 4 Section Carbon Fiber Monopod

and one of these:-
    Manfrotto 494RC2 Ball Head with Friction Control

a few weeks ago, neither has broken yet.

stumpy01

+1 Velbon Ultra Luxi…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘photo tripod’ is closed to new replies.