Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Photo ID now required to vote in Mays local elections
  • binners

Ahead of the local elections in May, this just dropped through the door

Newsnight the other night were saying that this is being rushed in without sufficient planning and reporting that some councils are requesting a police presence at polling stations in anticipation of people kicking off when being told they can’t vote.

Its also been pointed out that this is a ‘solution’ to a problem that doesn’t exist, as voter fraud simply isn’t an issue in this country

I can’t see this as anything other than a corruption of democracy by the Tory’s in an attempt to pervert the electoral process in their favour. For example you can use an Oyster card as ID, but only an over 60’s Oyster card. Why would that be then?

Was everyone even aware of this?

intheborders
    Free Member

“Passport”, just current or also expired?

daveylad
    Free Member

Long overdue. Should cut down on voter fraud in certain areas.

IHN

I was aware of it, yeah. To be fair I have seen posters around the place.

Its also been pointed out that this is a ‘solution’ to a problem that doesn’t exist, as voter fraud simply isn’t an issue in this country

I can’t see this as anything other than a corruption of democracy by the Tory’s in an attempt to pervert the electoral process in their favour.

I would agree.

Seems I missed a visit from our prospective Tory councillor this morning, which is a shame…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Passport and driving licence photo card don’t have to be valid now iirc, simply has to have a photo that represents how you look today.

I’ve started the ball rolling for a postal vote.

IHN

Care to expand with actual facts? I’ll give you a chance to pull them together whilst I put the kettle on, we’re out of biscuits though.

crossed

Long overdue. Should cut down on voter fraud in certain areas

Which voter fraud in what areas?

mert
    Free Member

It’ll cut it by 50% i guess.

From 4 people, down to 2…

intheborders
    Free Member

These “certain areas”, is that where you live and do you want to admit a crime?

FWIW I’ve voted for 40 years now and not once has anyone used my vote, any of my family or friends (because it’d certainly be a story to tell) or have I ever heard of an issue anywhere I’ve ever lived.

Shackleton

@daveylad you mean the “widespread” voter fraud that the proponents of this scheme can’t show evidence for while the implementation of this scheme will disenfranchise a far greater number of people (evidence for this has been shown).

This isn’t about stopping voter fraud, this is about (non-tory) voter suppression.

frankconway

Completely unnecessary.
    It’s been well publicised but there will be some who say…news to me.
    If FB, twitter and some bloke down the pub are your news sources…

chvck
    Free Member

Seen it around the internet for a few months now. We both postal vote though…

I can’t see this as anything other than a corruption of democracy by the Tory’s in an attempt to pervert the electoral process in their favour.

Agreed on the first part. No doubt the second is true too but surely the older generation are the ones less likely to have photo id?

Look at the past posts by daveylad, they clearly like low effort trolls (and are often effective tbf…)

frankconway

Completely unnecessary.
    It’s been well publicised but there will be some who say…news to me.
    If FB, twitter and some bloke down the pub are your news sources…
    chvck – your comment about daveylad is right; piss poor troll – another on the ‘ignore’ list.

angrycat
    Free Member

I’ve got an Over 60 Oyster Card and can assure everyone that I will certainly NOT be voting Tory!

AD

Genuinely looking forward to seeing @daveylad’s voter fraud info.

I’ve mistakenly thought it was tory bullshit but I’m sure davey will put my mind at rest.

mert
    Free Member

IIRC there’s more electoral fraud convictions and cautions for the candidates and their organisations (several thousand people involved) than the electorate (near as dammit 50 million people).

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

voter fraud is rare because no one monitors it,
    it would be interesting to see how many out of 100 voters are legit,

it’d be like watching a police camera action show, when speeding/drunk motorists cannot remember their own name let alone be carrying any ID.

the-muffin-man

Was everyone even aware of this?

Yes – it’s been publicised a fair bit.

Anyway, it’s good to see Bury Council haven’t been splurging taxpayers money on logo design! 🤣

Swiss 721 Black – solid yellow with black keyline. 👌👌

MoreCashThanDash

Since the last general election, we’ve had more prime ministers than convictions for election fraud* – remind me what the problem was?

*not fact checked, but close enough

supernova

Tory gerrymandering. Verging on corruption and vote stealing.

doomanic

remind me what the problem was?

That the demographic least likely to have photo I.D. are also the least likely to vote Tory.

intheborders
    Free Member

That the demographic least likely to have photo I.D. are also the least likely to vote Tory.

The only positive I can see is that this demographic are more likely to carry it with them, and therefore less likely to turn up to vote without it.

In May, any one else up for trying to use their expired passport as ID?

craig5

it must be  a conspiracy, obvs

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

yep.. another barrier for against people to vote.. only for those that can drive or go on holiday can. Suprised they arent also asking for deeds on property as evidence too. That should win them the election.

pondo

Ever turned up and the poll staff tell you you’ve already voted? Me neither.

sc-xc

I like @daveylad’s posts. They remind me why I no longer use Facebook or Twitter. Unusual that they post their moronic shit here, but I guess we all need a hobby.

avdave2

For anyone who doesn’t believe electoral fraud is taking place in this country don’t you remember what was written on the side of that **** bus! 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Excellent. Let’s not monitor it, then.

sc-xc

For anyone who doesn’t believe electoral fraud is taking place in this country don’t you remember what was written on the side of that **** bus!

👏👏👏👏👏👏

winston
    Free Member

Photo ID is so last century, I would expect nothing less than a retina scan in my village hall before being allowed my excercise democratic right to marginally and pointlessly chip away at the massive Tory majority of my local MP’s safe seat.

molgrips
    Free Member

If fraud were happening then you’d get turned away at the station wouldn’t you? As your name would have been ticked off the list?

xora

voter fraud is rare because no one monitors it

Except they do, the parties all send representatives to the polling stations and counts. There are also independent checkers. And also all this stuff is stuck in a big data machine by people more clever than me. And none of those three sets of checks have ever come up with any major fraud!

jameso

One thing we can do is help people who don’t have ID to get it.

I work at a local drop-in centre and we’ll be asking everyone who comes in if they have photo ID or need help with getting a voter ID document if they don’t – we have one month and people need to be registered to vote to begin with

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/voter-id

If you don’t have accepted photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID document, which is known as a Voter Authority Certificate.

The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for the local elections in England on 4 May 2023 is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.

I’m not much of a facebook or twitter user and maybe tiktok reaches more young people anyway but hopefully this is already getting shared, it’s worth sharing widely.

tomhoward

Has anything been said what will happen if turnout is massively down on average? Or will we turn a blind eye to that fraud?

IHN

One thing we can do is help people who don’t have ID to get it.

I work at a local drop-in centre and we’ll be asking everyone who comes in if they have photo ID or need help with getting a voter ID document if they don’t – we have one month and people need to be registered to vote to begin with

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/voter-id

If you don’t have accepted photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID document, which is known as a Voter Authority Certificate.

The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate for the local elections in England on 4 May 2023 is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April 2023.

I’m not much of a facebook or twitter user and maybe tiktok reaches more young people anyway but hopefully this is already getting shared, it’s worth sharing widely.

This is a good point, I’ve just stuck it on our local Facebook group

tjagain

Has anything been said what will happen if turnout is massively down on average? Or will we turn a blind eye to that fraud?

Thats the aim of it so nothing will be done.  I doubt we will see a massive drop but it will have a disproportionate effect on young, urban, lower income folk ie labour voters

racefaceec90

@jameso thanks for that i have just applied for the voter id now (no current driver license or passport) i definitely want to vote against the tories at any opportunity.

devash
    Free Member

Its common in many other countries – I don’t see it being a problem.

In fact, it might bite the Conservatives in the ass because many older voters don’t have in-date passports, photo ID, or even know what time of day it is.

Imagine Mrs B. Racist turning up to the polling station on a cold and rainy day and being turned away. “I’m not bloody getting the bus all the way home to pick up my passport!”

tjagain

they know it will disproportionately effect labour voters.  thats why it has been done.  also note the forms of ID.

DougD

Imagine Mrs B. Racist turning up to the polling station on a cold and rainy day and being turned away. “I’m not bloody getting the bus all the way home to pick up my passport!”

But this is the problem, passport or not – old Mrs B.Racist will still likely be able to vote with their bus pass. Worse still, younger voters with a similar travel cards can’t use them to vote.

https://goodlawproject.org/generational-gerrymandering-new-voter-id-requirements-will-disenfranchise-young-people/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.