Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Period drama
  • loddrik
    Free Member

It’s all pretty shite isn’t it..?

atlaz
    Free Member

Not really. The Hour was fantastic. Plus if we’re being pedantic, every drama is a period drama as they all take place in a specific time (I have the same issue with contemporary being used as a synonym for modern)

Unless you’re talking about issues with your good lady in which case I’ll move swiftly along.

IHN

No, not all the time.

I assume you’re referring to the White Queen though, which looked awful from the trailer I saw.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Parade’s End was very good, and i generally only like contemporary stuff.

IHN

Parade’s End was very goodcompletely incomprehensible

🙂

The Devil’s Whore, now that was good.

binners

I’m with you 100% on this loddrik. The OH loves it. I’d rather remove my own kidneys with a teaspoon than watch any of it

MSP

Adaptation’s of classic novels are generally pants, Jane Austin and those trying to imitate Jane Austin should be cast into the pits of hell. I tend to avoid anything that would be classed as a “costume drama”. It has got to the point where the BBC seem to think that if it involves the cast dressing up in 18th and 19th century costumes then it must be quality.

But some can be OK, ripper street was quite watchable.

yunki
    Free Member

You don’t see Danny Dyer in enough period drams.. I think that’s the crux of the problem

mogrim

Quite enjoyed the Tudors.

Stoner
    Free Member

You don’t see Danny Dyer in enough period drams

I was watching him in a Frost yesterday. Which is old enough to be a period piece now 🙂

feisty
    Free Member

I thought we were going to have a moan about your Mrs being a bit of a Forth Bridger 😆

drummer
    Free Member

Get one every month with the missus and it is pretty hard work yes 😉

binners

Actually… some of the BBC’s stuff is quite good

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkHe4YCHd8o[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJuoZuaLAsg[/video]

monkey_boy
    Free Member

another hater here, i still have the nightmares from somehow being in ‘top set’ in english in school and having to read pride and ****ing prejudice and write an essay on it…. a whole year spent dissecting the total b*lox that it was!!

if there was ever a time machine i’d be at the front of the queue and go back and make sure jane austin was never born.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Bring back The Onedin line, Poldark !

binners

monkey_boy – I had to do that ****ing god-awful ****ing book at school too. I learned to loathe it with a passion I normally only reserve for Tory MP’s. And it’s the main reason for my utter visceral hatred of all period drama

People say its a literary classic. Bollox! Its just Hollyoaks written a couple of hundred years ago

monkey_boy
    Free Member

People say its a literary classic. Bollox! Its just Hollyoaks written a couple of hundred years ago

PMSL that has made my day!!

thank you sir!

alpin
    Free Member

i thought the content of this thread was going to be a lot messier/bloody/unpleasent.

mikey3
    Free Member

I would imagine being out of pocket is pretty shit too.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

On the subject of Jane Austen I’m with Mark Twain: ‘Everytime I read “Pride and Prejudice” I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin bone.’

nickjb
    Free Member

‘This is England’ was brilliant

Nick

The Americans, set in 1985, is pretty good so far, conversely I managed 10 minutes of the White Queen last night, dreadful.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ex GF was studying “The Victorian Novel” at Uni – it was never going to end well.
    Absolutely hated the turgid, beat their point home with a mallet, overwritten, reasons why society has moved on. A proper waste of trees.

Coyote
    Free Member

Ripper Street was pretty good!

fasthaggis
    ransos
    Free Member

‘This is England’ was brilliant

That was a drama set in a particular period, which I think is different to a “period drama”. Compare and contrast with Downton abbey, which is pointless revisionism and has absolutely nothing to say.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Pride and Prejudice back in the 90s was bloody marvellous. 😀

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Parades End was excellent, a really well acted and well written piece that brought home the changing ethos of British society at a pivotal point in history.
    As a WoTR re-enactor i really wanted the White Queen to be good, but written by that self-publicising trollop Phillipa Gregory i knew it would be awful and i wasn’t disappointed.
    It was terrible, Edward IV and Warwick were the richest men in England yet were wearing armour a common billman would have been embarrassed to be seen in. Clothes from the C17th, armour from the C12th, rococo furnishings from the C18th and even one woman wearing a hairstyle from the bloody C19th Regency period!

How that bloody woman has the gall to describe herself as a ‘respected historian’ i can’t fathom, she has no qualifications in the subject.

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to say something about it being on once a month in our house, but drummer beat me to it.

And as for period drama – well anything historical is period, and some is good. Standard Jane Austen type fare is a bit like the books really, love it or hate it.

andytherocketeer

that dickens one (if dickens counts) last christmas was alright, and saved me reading the book. but then it’s all local stuff for me. shame they rarely use any of the IRL locations.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Period drama’ is closed to new replies.