Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • People with an Orange Five and New CTD rear Shock – one moment of your time
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

pleeeeease!

trying to get to the bottom of my clunk on my CTD shock on my five, its a standard evolution model CTD shock

can people with one just report back to tell me if yours under compression in Climb mode clunks/clicks stood still pressing down on the seat please? it sounds like a mechanical clunk/click/knocking (not just like the shocks squelching, very much a clunk/knock)

just trying to figure out if other peoples do it and as mojo say they are like that on the evolution models?

as most people own fives on here please please help me out 😉

sambob
    Free Member

You sure it’s not something other than the shock? BB/hub/pivot? I have nothing more helpful than that…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hey sambob, nope mate its defo the shock ive swapped shocks out with an rp23 and its fine

im just trying to get to the bottom of whether its just mine or whether every single CTD evolution one does it really, at least then ill know it is just ‘as it is’ and not being fobbed off by mojo

eddie11
    Free Member

Ctd shocks are a questionable improvement and the forks are even worse but not had that particular problem, normally it’s just not enough damping

sambob
    Free Member

FWIW the CTD RP23 on my Horsethief doesn’t knock at all..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

kashima sambob? i believe it would be ok if mine was a kashima one, cheaper internals on the evolution standard series aparently (at circa £280 cheap!!!)

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t do this is very smooth and quiet

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

pitchpro – on a five too by chance? you can really notice it by just compressing the seat on mine 🙁

even in climb mode?

butterbean
    Free Member

The knock is just a gentle reminder you bought the poverty spec shock 😉

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really starting to regret it now yep, ive been using a rp23 kashima boost valve whilst my ctd’s been at mojo and the difference is bloody light years (firstly no clunking! and secondly it feels amazing descending compared to the CTD)

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

2013 Orange five ctd shock yup. You wanna go? lol

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

It’s gotta be your linkage listen with your ear on it does the noise come from inside or is it catching or slipping somewhere

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

My seat creeks 😛

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

honestly its defo the shock ive fitted a rp23 using same mounting kit and its fine, no klunk etc

its in the first 3-5mm of the CTD travel, its a reet shitter!

need to get a few replys with them working fine so i can report back to mojo and say its not ‘normal’

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Just go in with yours and one that works properly. Where do you live? I’ve changed my profile name the old bike pitch pro confuses matters. I’m gonna go outside and have a good check of mine now brb

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Mine definitely has no noise of any kind it barely makes a squidging noise very quite.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks pitchpro – shop have seen it, they sent it off for me, they agreed it didnt sound right really but said it may not be remedied… it just came back saying it was fine from mojo after inspection, so i rang mojo and they said its normal and nothing can be done lol

not sure how its normal as i didnt have it like that from new, and clearly yours doesnt do it 🙁

just to check pitch yours ISNT a kashima one is it? will try orange next to see how i go, living in a rocky hilly area means this shock is gonna annoy the hell out of me with the amount of climbing i do 🙁

jonk

Replied to your other thread

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Non kashima I don’t do fools gold

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Just had a bounce on mine – 2012 Five with one of the first Evolution CTD shocks. It definitely makes a bit of a knock on rebound – especially noticeable in Climb – almost like a topping out noise.

Genuinely never even noticed it before and I consider the shock to work perfectly (even if it is a bit shit).

It’s not something that bothers me to be honest, but it’s only a minor knock, not like a crack or clunk…

boxelder

Does it do it wiith less/no air in and/or in D mode?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

fortunateson – sounds the same then, perhaps not quite as loud as mine, but seems to be the same thing (like a knock or quiter clunk) and on climb mode – interesting then, its not just mine but at least 2 others off here

boxelder – yep emptied the air out and does it, and put in over 200 and still does it

climb mode is the major culprit, its wayyyyyyyyyyy more obvious in that mode, in descend mode it does it on mine, BUT if i put the rebound to fully fast it doesnt do it at all…

once it gets through the 3-5mm clunky noise, it works flawlessy (or shall i say as expected, hence why mojo found nothing wrong per se)

Mugboo

Bet it annoys the hell out of Fortunateson09 now you’ve made him aware of it…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

haha sorry fortunateson 🙁

hes right though its NOT like a creak type noise, which is the only plus point i guess, it is shit though i think, its like ive had a cheap and nasty shock compared to a ‘proper’ kashima according to mojo (costing £289, cheap eh?!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

silent on a Blur LTC (Kashima though)

sambob
    Free Member

Yeah, mine’s Kashima.

LoCo
    Free Member

The evolution CTD has the same internal spec. as the Factory CTD.

The Factory CTD BV trail adjust is the top of the range one.

PS have mailed you too Ossy 😉

T1000
    Free Member

mine went pop 2 miles into its 1st outing replacements been fine no unpleasant noises….

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘People with an Orange Five and New CTD rear Shock – one moment of your time’ is closed to new replies.