Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • People riding and walking the wrong way at trail centres
  • tron
    Free Member

In my last couple of rides at Sherwood, I've come across loads of people riding and walking dogs (off the lead, naturally) the wrong way up the Red trail.

Is it beyond the FC to stick up signs on back of the waymarkers saying something along the lines of "One way bike trail, caution advised"? As I see it, it's surely a matter of time before someone comes around a bend too quickly, has ropey brakes / tyres and hits someone or a dog that's bounding about.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Yup had to get out the way of two guys on bikes going the wrong way there. I did chuckle as they looked at me like i was in the wrong???? Have almost had a wipe out on a dowhill section from someone bimbling up the other side too. I do tgink some parts should be one way to stop any unecessary accidents.

Klunk
    Free Member

watched a family of 5 go the up the wrong way of the final descent at Nantyarian, plenty of signage there 😕

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Is it beyond the FC to stick up signs on back of the way-markers saying something along the lines of "One way bike trail, caution advised"?

Why don't you get in touch and ask them?

monkeychild
    Free Member

To be honest though you could put signs or loud speakers telling folk. There will always be those who ignore it.

JimBowen
    Free Member

came across 2 old fellas walking the wrong way at gisburn forest, luckily i wasn't going to fast. also on the same ride i came across a couple with 3 dogs just about to walk down a bike trail until i pointed out that it was a bike trail and not a footpath and that it was dangerous for them to walk down it.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I was at Pines once and came across a couple and their kid having a picnic slap bang in the middle of the red trail, there was a mass of trees either side so nowhere to go except over the picnic blanket! made me chuckle 🙂

skidartist
    Free Member

Perhaps trail centres need chainlink fences around them, and a membership policy to make sure only the right sort can get in. Or they can be ridden on the basis that we're not that special and meeting someone else doing something else is a likelyhood. Its always seemed to me that cycling is just one of several things that is being encouraged at these sites, but perhaps we should put a stop to that. 🙂

epicyclo

What would happen if you went down the trail and found someone crashed just around the corner?

Or maybe a better way to put it – how would you feel if you had crashed badly just round a corner and you knew someone was coming down riding without the ability to stop for the unexpected?

Isn't part of the skill of riding a bike the ability to handle the unexpected?

tron
    Free Member

Why don't you get in touch and ask them?

I will.

Its always seemed to me that cycling is just one of several things that is being encouraged at these sites, but perhaps we should put a stop to that.

Of course it is. But, there are lots of unmarked paths / singletrack through the woods, loads of fire roads etc. Surely the point of the purpose built & waypointed cycle trails is to minimise conflict between the different groups that use the place?

tron
    Free Member

What would happen if you went down the trail and found someone crashed just around the corner?

I'd stop, like I stopped when I found a couple riding the wrong way. Crashed riders are very rare occurence (I've never actually come across anyone crashed, though I've encountered a few chatting / fixing punctures in inopportune places).

People walking dogs on the trail and riding the wrong way seem to be very common, and they've got the added fun factor of moving, often quite quickly.

D0NK

What if you are driving down a one way street, come round a corner and found someone driving up the street the wrong way? Surely you drive so you'd be able to react to any situation?

Yes you should be able to stop but that doesn't give muppets carte blanche to do idiotic and dangerous things. Generally in FC places footpaths and bike trails are kept seperate for a reason.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Part of the problem is that the FC in England do not like excluding anyone and so will put up signs saying "walking not advised".

At our local Trail Centre, Bedgebury, they have been putting up more and more signage. Not sure it is having a huge effect. It is the dog-walkers who don't have their dogs on a leash who are the most dangerous , and also the most unpleasant when challenged about their control of their hounds.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

came across two young kids in sherwood pines last year, just playing on the trail and wafting very big sticks around, it was on a fairly fast section and I only saw them when I was about 10m away- had to take avoiding action to not hit them. Saw their parents on the fire road and while trying to stay calm I mentioned to them that it might be dangerous for their kids to play there as its a specific bike trail and they're on a particularly fast bit- the torrent of abuse I got was unbelievable.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I ran into a spaniel at Swinley yesterday, it seemed remarkably unfazed by the whole ordeal!

Trail centers are not race tracks, you have to accept that.

Just as we regulalry post on here telling the world how tresspass is not a crime and footpaths are fair game if ridden sensibly. I'm sure the families walking on red trails could argue that they dont crash into people or cause any undue errosion of the trail so how come its OK for us to impeed on their trails but not vice versa?

mangatank
    Free Member

Hm…see the dog thread for an insight into the psychology of what constitutes a legitimate use of a bike-specific trail.

I'm constantly coming across riders (young and old) resting in the middle of the trail on bends, standing around jumps on red routes or pushing back up reds to do the jumps again. The truth is that many people are thoughtless (in a genuinely 'just not thinking' way), or alpha-male selfish or very inexperienced (see youtube for proof of this) or, and I'm loathed to use the term as a generalisation, just rather 'stupid'. Or all three of course.

That said, the vast majority of riders aren't like that. And we all have blonde moments, especially when exhausted. That's an easy trap to get caught in for many inexperienced riders at trail centres.

You have to factor all this in on a ride I'm afraid.

highclimber
    Free Member

I had some guy walking his dog up the bottom section of Lee quarry. luckily I was going slow. there is a big red sign on the gate saying its likely there are cyclists and walkers should not enter OWTTE!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've ridden the wrong way for a short (30m or so) section at Carron Valley, to get back to the main loop having tried recoil and ended up (surprisingly) back at the start of the right hand loop which I didn't have time to do again. It's a short uphill section (when done the right way round) and I was eeking down it at about 5mph aware of the possibility of people coming the other way (quiet trail centre so not that likely). Just my luck I came across 2 parents and 2 kids tootling round. Naturally I stopped, stood off the trail and smiled and let them all past, just as they all went past the father said "I thought this was a one-way trail?" in a sarcastic fashion. I didn't find this overly amusing as I'd made obvious efforts way in advance of their passing to get right out of the way, so I just shook my head and continued the remaining 10m to the main path.

I am fully on the trail centres should be attacked in one direction and shouldn't be multi-use trails if markd as cycle routes, which is why when you have to use it the wrong way (rather than just choosing to) you make damn sure not to get in other peoples way or cause a danger. It's just a shame some people are smart-arses and sarcastic about it.

rkk01
    Free Member

Hm…see the dog thread for an insight into the psychology of what constitutes a legitimate use of a bike-specific trail.

Thats sounds fairly derogatory, and pretty much sums up the problem with some mtbers psyche / outlook.

The trails may be designed as "bike specific" and that is their sole intended purpose. But, unless they are privately owned and run, private club / membership and on private land, walkers have as much legal right to access and use them as we have…

Agreed, it's not particularly sensible, but I wouldn't want to be sued by a walker that I couldn't stop for

U31
    Free Member

If i hit a walker on a red run, i'd be back on the bike and offski, i aint got no reg plate so find me, f***erz!

rkk01
    Free Member

If i hit a walker on a red run, i'd be back on the bike and offski, i aint got no reg plate so find me, f***erz!

Really?? So if you hit and maimed a child you'd just up and off??

What a disgrace – no wonder mtbers are looked at in such a negative light by other countryside usrs… That sort of attitude does us no favours at all

U31
    Free Member

Yer dead right love! It's great when idiots are undone by thier own stupidity, and i include myself in that statement if i come off due to lack of talent…

coffeeking
    Free Member

don't bite rkk01 – there's always trolls.

U31
    Free Member

Standard defence stetegy, huh? If you don't like what's said, it must be trolling?
    Come on, get some originality ffs!

rkk01
    Free Member

Yer dead right love! It's great when idiots are undone by thier own stupidity, and i include myself in that statement if i come off due to lack of talent…

Ohh, that's fine then*.
    Presumably

It's great when idiots are undone by thier own stupidity, and i include myself in that statement

means you'd be quite happy to take a stint inside for said stupidity???

My cousin spent a few years in HMP Dartmoor for something similar that didn't quite turn out as expected….
    .* feed the trolls time 😮

coffeeking
    Free Member

Standard defence stetegy, huh? If you don't like what's said, it must be trolling?
    Come on, get some originality ffs!

Not defence at all actually, just my assumption that no-one is that thick so must be doing it for attention. Clearly I'm mistaken.

cookeaa

Maybe I’m being naïve here but if there isn’t actually a “Correct direction” indicated then surely the trail is “Bi-directional” and can be ridden either way…

I think you should Bawl at the offending Walkers/Cyclists:

“This isn’t the Bloody Countryside you Know! We’ve got Rules here! The price for Transgression is DEATH Beneath my Wheels!”

Then just Ride at them, see what response that gets…

I’m all in favour of Trail centres but I can’t help thinking that people seem to be expecting “over-sanitised” environments tailored specifically to their own cycling needs, skill levels and ability to stay alert to other trail users, with the full exclusion of all other “country side pursuits”, you’re not the only people who use the Woods you know…

Way marked/mapped trails are handy but shouldn’t absolve riders of the need to have an actual brain of their own, you still need to be alert to other woodland users regardless of how “stupid” they are…

U31
    Free Member

Right for a first off, the first statement is tongue in cheek.. pretty hard to get that across in type but hey ho. So i treated the first answer with a ridiculous answer that the ridiculous statement warrented.. course i'd stop for a kid!

But.. the point being made in my original point, society is going down a path where no one is responsible for thier own actions any more, everything is risk assessed, acidents legislated against

Maybe if people had to THINK for themself, if they had to deal with the consequenses without being awarded a handsome pay out at the drop of a hat, maybe THEY WOULDNT WANDER IN TO A DANGEROUS SITUATION!

And any how, god yeah i'd doo one, chances of getting caught are infenitismal, and then they gotta prove it was me! 😉

Happy now? 🙂

U31
    Free Member

Cookeaa, succint, to the point and correct.

cookeaa

Ta.

Del

what?
    you'd just **** off without seeing if they were ok?
    generally forestry land is access land. anyone can go where they like. kind of how we get away with building cheeky trails…

tron
    Free Member

Maybe I’m being naïve here but if there isn’t actually a “Correct direction” indicated then surely the trail is “Bi-directional” and can be ridden either way…

The Red at Sherwood pines is one way. There are signposts with direction arrows showing you where to go if you're heading the correct way, but nothing on the backside of them. A lot of the trails at pines have very short sight lines, obviously having been designed to work one way only.

To me the idea that people shouldn't be discouraged from heading up the trails the wrong way is stupid. We're talking about avoiding needless accidents on purpose built cycling trails, not banning conkers or the Kinder mass trespass. To me, it's as daft as having people wander around a ski slope or stand where they want at a race track.

It's not as if the woods are a wild places that needs to be kept from looking urban – it's a tree farm with a caff, car park and bike shop!

epicyclo

I live in Scotland so maybe I don't get the whole trail centre thing.

Are they supposed to be like race tracks? Can understand being upset at oncoming traffic if they are.

I was thinking they were resources for the general community which includes families with kids and the like, and thus requiring a riding style that takes that into account.

antigee

more signs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

could always reuse all the "dogs must be on a lead" signs because they are needed – dog owners use their judgement, bit like some who ride mountain bikes always use their judgement in what is generally a multi user environment
    less blinkered judgement by all is needed but unlikely

tron
    Free Member

Are they supposed to be like race tracks? Can understand being upset at oncoming traffic if they are.

Well, at Pines, the Blue and Red trails are waymarked as one way, and I believe the Green is too. There's also a load of waymarked footpaths, along with unmarked singletrack / paths, and obviously fire roads.

crazy-legs

A guy I work with came off and broke his arm at Sherwood Pines recently, he came round the corner and, smack in the middle of it, walking the wrong way were a couple and a dog. He swerved to avoid them, went into the trees, came off and knocked himself out. When he came to a few moments later and realised his arm was agony, he looked around and saw the couple walking off!

They never even checked if he was alright, never spoke to him.

So that "going off" thing works both ways…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I live in Scotland so maybe I don't get the whole trail centre thing.

Odd, considering half the trail centres in the UK are in scotland 😉

U31
    Free Member

The walker and dog, "real life" anecdote.. stupid flippant reply head off now..
    If it was me, i hope i wouldnt have been riding so fast so as to be unable to stop, but i'm human and get red mist as much as the next guy, in that case i dont think i'd have swerved – in the name of self preservation, and dealt with the consequenses after the event?

tron
    Free Member

Don't get too hooked up on the dog walkers, people cycling the wrong way are way more dangerous, if less common. There are lots of short descents followed by short climbs at Pines, and it's very easy for cyclists to be closing on each other at 30-40mph.

Keva
    Free Member

saw two people walking along the last downhill section of the Wall at Afan this w/end. A couple of weeks ago a mountain biker had decided to stop and take a phone call in the middle of the last descent on Whites – on a corner too. Both times the people were in the middle of the trail 😯

not something I'd choose to do in case somebody rode into me but there you go, I guess some folks just aren't that bothered about it.

Kev

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘People riding and walking the wrong way at trail centres’ is closed to new replies.