Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Pentlands trail repair day – Sunday 21st August
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Well chaps – following on from the success of the first repair day we have to decide what we want to do for the second and try to get more folk out so we can achieve more. I was delighted when out yesterday to see how well our repair has held up and how inconspicuous all the digging looks now

So – any thoughts on which bit of trail we should work on next?

Maidens – needs drains clearing and stuff.
    Clubbiedean singletrack? The boggy bits and the beginning and end
    Pisatachio? needs a lot of work doing
    More on Green cleugh?
    anything else that comes to mind?
    its all up for discussion

debaser

I’m around for this one.

Was thinking that Clubbiedean could do with a bit of drainage work last night, there are only a few places where it holds water so a little work might go along way.

Happy to act as dumb labour and do what I’m telt.

13thfloormonk

Clubbiedean would be interesting, isn’t it owned by the farmer who is notoriously anti-bike?

I thought an area that would benefit would be the swoopy little section that runs between Bonaly reservoir and the top of the grassy descent to Dreghorn (basically where you turn left out of the very top-most gate on Puke Hill. In fact, that whole stretch of trail heading towards Phantom’s on the right and Dreghorn on the left, would be quite easy to improve the drainage on.

What was the problem with working on Phantom’s?

bigjim

I don’t think there is any point in working on Pistachio because of the horses.

Clubbiedean and Black Hill would be my top 2.

Phantoms – I think the Friends were working on that bit weren’t they?

Lets hope the landowners are willing!

FraserHughes
    Free Member

If I recall correctly we can’t do Black Hill or Den’s can we?

My vote would therefore be Clubbiedean then the Kirk Burn Path….

13thfloormonk

Kirk Burn? Where’s that?

Looking at Pistachio now, I’m beginning to wonder if it would in fact be worthwhile doing something with it, any damage the horses do seems to have recovered, and if we improve the drainage they will only do less damage in future. I’d maybe put a vote in for Pistachio after all.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Phantoms has been worked on by the friends of the pentlands. I simply don’t know if our input would be welcome or not. can ask the rangers if people feel thats one worth doing. another place is perhaps the bit along the side of Capelaw hill? Top of puke hill, turn left, up the steep bit and over the shoulder than the single track along to the top of howden burn is getting ruined and a bit of drainage might help.

If we can come up with some thoughts then I’ll take that to the rangers.

Maidens might be the one tho perhaps

FraserHughes
    Free Member

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=55.873157835305705~-3.2481879877557174&lvl=15&dir=0&sty=s&form=LMLTCC

You probably know it as something else, but it is the path running down parallel with Kirk Burn

13thfloormonk

Good shout Tandem, that was one bit I thought suffered badly in the wet, it almost just needs one obvious ‘hard’ line put in, so you’re not forced to choose between muddy rut or as yet unmuddied grassy bit.

Fraser, I get you now, I actually rarely ride that section, had a go on it years ago and got put off, seem to remember hanging up on loads of tussocks and rocks…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Wherever required, i’ll be there in full shovel – wielding capacity.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I ain’t been on that section for years either Fraser.

The Rangers preferance is to repair existing built paths before building new one IIRC.

jimmy

I’ll be around but on call. Are there any internet cafes near Clubbiedean?

druidh
    Free Member

13thfloormonk – Member
    Clubbiedean would be interesting, isn’t it owned by the farmer who is notoriously anti-bike?

Clubbiedean lies inside Bonaly Country Park, which is owned by the Council, while the reservoir itself is the property of Scottish Water.

FraserHughes
    Free Member

TJ + 13th – fair enough. It is quite a nice bit of trail when dry unfortunately that is very rare! I accept its not well used so not a priority but I think it would be good to have on the list if we can make this a regular thing – if it was repaired, in combination with the Capelaw SE traverse, it would make a good alternative to Phantoms and help remove some of teh traffic from there.

Tbh I’m happy whatever we do 🙂

stevemtb
    Free Member

So much for keeping my diary free for this one, going to be somewhere in Whales land that weekend so won’t be able to help out again. Will make it along some time presuming this will be an ongoing thing.

robgarrioch

Coincidental bump…

Spotted this sign while out first-trying the bike trailer, pinned to the Clubbiedean dam top gate

In case anyone’s interested. Still planning to make the 21st.

druidh
    Free Member

I should be able to make this after all!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bump – this sunday folks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Where/when?

I might be busy.

13thfloormonk

Good stuff, I’d almost forgotten and planned a day away, just remembered in time!

Where do we meet?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The rangers want to do some more work on the howe end of green cleugh so is that OK? If so meet there at 10.30

Northwind

Think I am in for this one.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bump bump

Better be a decent turn out for this.

bigjim

Sorry but had to move a holiday forward so will be in sunny Orkney instead. Ground’ll be nice and soft for you though!

Garry_Lager was wondering last night if it would be OK to bring the kids along to it – perhaps given the over 16 note on that sign above perhaps kids aren’t able to come. I can imagine there are some H&S implications actually with people swinging pick axes around.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’ll check with teh rangers about kids

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Sadly I cant make this one. Working.

But I did have a pleasant “proud feeling” after passing our previous Green Cleugh repairs a few months back.

bigjim

Yes they were looking good on wednesday, flowing nicely and the piles of earth had blended in to the vegetation. There were some really wet sections on the path though where it was getting a bit churned up. I wish I could come along to this one too but was unavoidable.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

yeah, i’ll be along to this one. Just say where and when.

feenster
    Free Member

Just spotted this thread. Can’t make this sunday, but just to say I think it’s brilliant this is happening, and I hope it continues so I can come to the next one.

debaser

aye, I’ll be along for this, possibly with another willing volunteer.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PaulGillespie – Member

yeah, i’ll be along to this one. Just say where and when.

The Howe end of green cleugh – loganlea end. 10 – 10-30

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

cool. Will the rangers be providing lifts? I’ll probably ride in anyway.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have not organised lifts – the rangers will provide tools tho so you only need to bring yourself

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Does anyone have good directions on the best way to the meeting point from Colinton?

13thfloormonk

cfinnimore, I’ll be riding in from Tollcross, could meet you at the meggetland bridge or one of the aquaducts? One of two routes to get there, will possibly go via Harlaw/Maiden’s Cleugh and the Glencorse road, or via Harlaw/Red Moss/Green Cleugh.

Will be taking it easy on the ride in so will be leaving tollcross about 9.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Better It’ll be really great if there’s be a decent turn out for this.

[s]

Fixed that for you 😉

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i’m not able for this one but would love to do so again in the future 🙂

robgarrioch

Purty sure I’ll be along, child willing – on a bicycle of all things!

Probably 09.00ish from Bonaly – Kinleith – Harlaw – Maidens should we get ourselves a convoy (10-4)

Which bit do your hands go on again…?

Northwind

Oh dear, I was very close to turning up tomorrow morning 😳

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stevenmenmuir

😳

I do so hope a few folk will turn up 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands trail repair day – Sunday 21st August’ is closed to new replies.