Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pennine Bridleway Double – success and failure
  • large418
    Free Member

So, at 5.30 this morning I got in from my first (and only) PBW double attempt. 26 hours and over 300km of riding, which for me is a record. Started at Middleton Top at 3.30am on Monday, reached Summit at 11.20 (10 mins ahead of my schedule), did the Mary Townley Loop finishing back at Summit at 7.30pm (thanks to the Shepherds Rest at Heyhead (just south of Todmorden) for a bowl of chips during the rainstorm/thunderstorm of biblical proportions – never seen rain like it, and I wasn’t going to venture of the packhorse track in that). Was 2 hours behind schedule here partly due to sheltering for 30 mins and also was harder than I remember).
    Got to Tintwhistle at 11.00, still on track for a sub 24 hour finish,then it all fell apart. Had been dreading the climb up to Roych and it didn’t let me down – was a long slow push. Then my chain snapped and it took a good 15-20 minutes to get the powerlink to click. Then just outside Wheston (and only 35km from the end) (time was now 3.00am, so well beyond a 24 hour finish) my Garmin turned itself off and wouldn’t restart (despite an external battery pack). Quite dejected I eventually got back to Middleton Top at 5.30am this morning.

I am now broken, legs hurt, arse hurts, arms hurt, neck hurts. The only bits that don’t hurt are a few fingers. Bike went well (apart from chain breakage and squealing brakes).

Now I’ve tried to download the route off the Garmin (800) and I can only get it to switch on and stay on with a hard reset. And that has just wiped all the data, so I am now properly annoyed. Last time I looked at the stats, it said 265km, circa 7000m of climbing, 8000 calories, ave speed 12.x km/hour. Seems to be a problem with Garmin 800’s – a very long route can lock the unit, so I should have saved the workout midride and started a new workout.

One thing has made life so much more bearable – sudocrem!!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Bloody Nora! 😯

Well done fella!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Stupendous effort – well done that man!

banks
    Free Member

What bike btw? Not a green fat bike by any chance?

unklehomered
    Free Member

What bike btw?

Never mind that, what tyres for total self-ruination?

large418
    Free Member

Bike was my 2002 stumpy hardtail. Very light (9kg ish), tyres were Racing Ralphs, which were great. Fat bike – do you think I am nuts or something?

Trimix
    Free Member

Well done, thats both impressive and depressing.

Im impessed whenever I hear of these sorts of feats, but depressed in that I realise Im way too unfit to do them.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Chapeau sir. A fantastic achievement. May I recommend a beer to go with your sudocrem, followed by a very long lie down.

Joe

Bonkers. No idea why people do these kind of things to themselves.

portlyone

So, you can’t prove it then? 😉

Well done, bet it feels good (eventually)

Joe

Sorry. That didn’t mean to detract from the OP. Well **** done…massive effort.

Trimix
    Free Member

But it is bonkers, much as I like riding my bike, Im sure once my ass gets sore Id not like riding my bike.

In fact anything that results in a sore ass cant be good can it ? Or is that thought for the Pope on his plane ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Bridleway Double – success and failure’ is closed to new replies.