• This topic has 41 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Peak: Ladybower route advice
  • boxelder

Riding from Langsett on saturday – over Cut gate, round reservoirs, Hagg Farm way, Hope Cross, Hope Brink, Aston, then Yorks Bridge, Cut throat, Whinstone Lee, East side reservoirs and back over Cut Gate.

Question is – how cheeky is it to cut the corner before Aston and follow footpaths round north side of Win Hill? Is it likely to be ramblerville?
    Oh, and which descent from Lockerbrook to the A57?

Ta

thepodge
    Free Member

as its pissing it down right now and has been most of the day you'd better take a snorkel for cut gate.

as for cutting corners, your talking about the second busiest national park in the world (I think) and on a weekend, so yeah, there will be people everywhere

boxelder

thepodge

Ta. Lived there for years, but left a decade ago. Glad to see not much seems to have changed. Does Cut Gate get that muddy?
    Would a play at Wharncliffe be a better option?

Oh, and which descent from Lockerbrook to the A57?

Hagg Farm

thepodge
    Free Member

frying pan and fire come to mind.

the two places in this area that suffer most from rain are cut gate and Wharncliffe. not been up wharncliffe in about 4 months, last time i was there half the xc track was missing due to logging, no idea what its like at the moment

antigee

was out and about in wharncliffe on friday before the rain and was typically muddy made much worse in some places by lots of use by quads

as to cutting the corner on win hill someone posted a map a couple of weeks back which suggested using the forestry trail that heads off the higher level concessionary bridleway above ladybower passing Wooler Knoll thats about 0.5km of cheekiness not popular with walkers though its a lot of effort to miss out the nice views as you climb up from Aston

sorry can't find link to map

tracknicko
    Free Member

plenty of tracks in WC. use your imagination. just because the 1hr xc loop is a bit haggered… plenty more to see.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Use the Wooler knoll track as suggested, it's only 100m from the top to the bridleway and i've never seen a walker on it.

It's a landrover track all the way and the landowners aren't likely to object

i'd push that 100m though so you can act smugly in front of walkers.

it's a cracking climb too.

Pook

+1 what MMW says. It was me talking about it before.

Here….

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=417434&y=386464&z=120&sv=417434,386464&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=822&ax=417434&ay=386464&lm=0

MMW – I'll be getting a pint in the ladybower tonight. What's on the pumps?
    😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

there's only one beer to have at the Ladybower, Farmers Blonde is the best beer in the world bar none

My Bro will probably be in the kitchen

antigee

i wrote

thats about 0.5km of cheekiness

mrmichaelwright – Member
    Use the Wooler knoll track as suggested, it's only 100m from the top to the bridleway

😆 obviously oxygen debt knackers my ability to judge distance!

Pook

ain't no cheeky on that bit. If you push the last 100m. The bottom bit, before the dog leg, is a landy track.

thepodge
    Free Member

Pushing bikes is just as much against the rules as riding them when it comes to foot paths so there is no point in pushing, just ride it

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

is it?

that wasn't my understanding but i'm willing to be proven wrong

either way you are less likely to cause red-sock brigade agro and a ranger will more than likely ask you to get off and push if you are caught being cheaky

thepodge
    Free Member

Its the bike that is band not riding it but you are right about it angering the walkers less

james
    Free Member

"Pushing bikes is just as much against the rules as riding them when it comes to foot paths"

In sheffield council area yes, but isn't ladybower in derbyshire, or is it just in south yorkshire? (High Peak/Derbyshire CC's website doesn't exclude pushing bikes, or it didn't when I checked (relatively) recently)

Pook

to make things difficult….

east side of ladybower sheffield, west side the peak.

I'm still riding it on Saturday

😛

antigee

east side of ladybower sheffield, west side the peak

think boundary runs sort of Derwent edge ( hence the amazing change from bridleway to footpath of Foulstone rd) then cuts east near Strines to Moscar (hence change in speed limit on A57 near cutthroat)then up and across top of Stanage

edit thats the Sheffield/S Yorks – Derbyshire border I'm talking about not the edge of the Peak National Park that is further back towards Sheffield

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

border is derwent edge watershed pretty much

thepodge
    Free Member

I thought Derbyshire had the same rules, I could be wrong

thepodge
    Free Member

Oh and arnt parts of Sheffield in Derbyshire but controlled by sheff council making it even more complex?

Pook

Let's face it. We're not allowed to ride anywhere. On the bridleways horseys have a go, BOATs we're in the way of Landys and MXers, FPs: red socks, roads; cars.

I'm giving up.

thepodge
    Free Member

its all about black paths and small groups

porterclough
    Free Member

arnt parts of Sheffield in Derbyshire but controlled by sheff council

Err… no. All of Sheffield is in Sheffield 😉

Parts of the Peak District are inside Sheffield council's boundary, is that what you mean?

The border between Derbyshire and Sheffield is right down the middle of Howden reservoir at one point – but all within Peak Park.

antigee

The border between Derbyshire and Sheffield is right down the middle of Howden reservoir

now thats a black path i won't be riding!

yes i am owning up to once or twice mistaking a boundary line for a track 8)

thepodge
    Free Member

I was thinking more of kilamarsh sp? I'm sure that's Sheffield council but in Derbyshire while also being part of Sheffield

boxelder

Errr, Thanks (I think)

IIRC the Peak District NP has By-laws which make it a prosecutable (criminal?) offence to ride on footpaths. In the Lakes it's just seen as being very naughty (civil disobedience).
    I'm probably wrong.
    Either way there'll be a Scotsman along shortly lairding it over us with their free and easy access laws.

Pook

and a criminal saying just do it anyway

:o)

porterclough
    Free Member

I was thinking more of kilamarsh sp? I'm sure that's Sheffield council but in Derbyshire while also being part of Sheffield

Killamarsh is North East Derbyshire council, same as Eckington and Dronfield. Nearby, Swallownest and Aston are Rotherham. Some of these areas have Sheffield postcodes or telephone numbers, but that's different 😉

Pook

podge you out tonight? 7pm from Ladybower?

roughneck
    Free Member

The last time I was at Wharncliffe was about 11/12 years ago doing a downhill race. It was a mud fest then,it didn't stop raining all day.

iain1775
    Free Member

lockerbrook was an absolute mud bath and stream last saturday, the rain all day didnt help, neither has the forestry works near the top
    In fact whole of that area was just drenched last week. Cut Gate will prob be even worse, still some small patches of snow around in places too

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

All of the Hope Valley has a Sheffield post code but Hope Valley is it's own postal town. They get real arsey if you don't put 'Hope Valley' in the address.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

no they don't (former resident)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

yes they do, former resident who's family still live there.

we used to get hand written notes from the post office on envelopes.

Plus the postman also used to be my barber

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

the postman is a friend of ours – as long as it has postcode on they atre happy

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ah well, maybe depends on which post office it comes through

when/where did you live in the valley?

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

bradwell last year

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Bradwell?

poor bugger

😉

My little sister drinks in Bradwell when she's home from uni.

Pook

watch it up there……

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Peak: Ladybower route advice’ is closed to new replies.