Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Peak District CX route
  • dknwhy

Heading up north in a couple of weeks and will be taking the cross bike. Most of the stuff I know is pretty rocky and more MTB suited. Anyone got a gpx or route of around 40-60 miles within spitting distance of New Mills/Hayfield?
    Looking for gravel/easy xc.

BadlyWiredDog

We did a big loop over the Roych then Ladybower then back to Hayfield over Cut Gate last summer and it was surprisingly rideable, if a tad rocky in parts. Mostly on Cut Gate to be honest.

If you want easier, you can do a biggish loop heading out down the Longdendale Trail from Hadfield over to Dunford Bridge, then loop back on bridleway towards Holme. Then cut up via back lanes and easy bridleway via Melton towards Marsden where you can pick up the Pennine Bridleway back over towards Hollingworth. I don’t have a GPX but it’s obvious on the map.

Alternatively you can head south into the White Peak and stuff like the Monsal and Tissington trails etc.

If you want gravel, you’re in luck, Derbyshire Country Council loves the stuff and is spreading it liberally all over the Peak District… 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Just a little further north, and relatively easy to follow:

Longendale trail from Glossop to the tunnels, then follow the Snow Road to the crossing at Goddard lane, left across Winscar res, left onto Dunford Road, left again following the tracks next to Harden res, out onto Linshaws road, down to the left turning at Ramsden Road, drop down to the house at Ramsden res, left across to the bottom of Holme Moss, down to Holme then left onto Shay lane, Nether Lane and Springs Road, out onto the A635, right at the top of Wessenden, down Wessenden valley, cut across Blakeley res to the Golf club, then up Mount Road to the A62. Left just after Brun Clough res, down Boat Lane to Diggle, canal all the way to Mossley, then cut up to Carrbrook, then Millbrook, through Stalybridge country park, up the valley past Walkerwood, Brushes, lower Swineshaw and higher Swineshaw res, then follow the path over Ogden Brook, Arnfield brook, down Arnfield lane to Tintwistle, inbetween Bottoms res and Valehouse res, out onto the B6105 and back to Glossop.

45 or so miles, not much on road, but CXable all the way.

crazy-legs

Richpips & I do virtually all our off-roading on CX bikes. There are maybe a couple of super steep or rocky trails I wouldn’t do on it (Cavedale being a good example!) but basically, most routes will go.

Give me a shout when you’re here, I don’t mind showing you round some of the local trails.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Peak District CX route’ is closed to new replies.