• This topic has 295 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 296 total)
  • Papal visit of Pope on Thursday, anyone going………….to protest
  • project
    Free Member

So Coventry is on shutdown along with a few other places for the next few days.

So anyone going to show their support for a man, who doesnt like gay people, birth control, women, and denies sexual abuse of children in the catholic church.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

With this be to discuss the Catholic position on buyer/seller protection?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Just a minor point, but John Paul II died a couple of years ago – current one is Benedict, formerly Joseph Ratzinger.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I'm not Catholic but I can't help feeling this thread may be started to antagonise people that are?? Sorry if I've got the wrong end of it.

trailmonkey

come on, lay off the guy. it's not like he's a nazi or anything.

donsimon
    Free Member

The Pope's visiting Paypal? Do you reckon he can put a word in over a dispute I'm having?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm tempted to get one of these to remember the event by.

trailmonkey

genius 😆

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

IanMunro I was laughing at those earlier!

project
    Free Member

Sorry it was supposed to be papal not paypal.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It's going to be so much fun in London.

What I don't get is that in a country which is Church of England by definition, why such a fuss is being made over a visit form the Leader of the Catholic Church?

Would there be such wide spread media coverage and disruption if the leader of the Hindu Faith came over here for a few days?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Would there be such wide spread media coverage and disruption if the leader of the Hindu Faith came over here for a few days?

It's all to do with stuff like this.

LycraLout
    Free Member

..and remember – Jesus Does Sport

..and of course

steve_b77
    Free Member

So why are we even letting him into the country then?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Something to do with the people who could stop him not really being bothered or not having the spine to say "not welcome".

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Because 'we' aren't a religiously intolerant dictatorship, we're a (reasonably) democratic open-minded nation that allows people to practice their faith free from persecution.

About 'we'. Who TF are 'we'? Don't include me in your intolerance please.

For the record: I'm not a Catholic and do not agree with several aspects of Catholic doctrine or the actions of the Vatican. However, I appreciate that I live in a nation where Catholic people want to see their religious leader, and support their freedom to be able to do just that.

jon1973
    Free Member

Sorry it was supposed to be papal not paypal.

Paypal is funnier

jimification
    Free Member

We should really be getting the world's biggest choir together in welcome: "Ehhverry sperm is gooooooood…"

steve_b77
    Free Member

No intolerance, I'm married to a Catholic despite very strong Protestant roots.

By we I mean the nation/government, allowing someone who knowingly harbored and allowed a sex offender to continue on their way, as shown in the link above into the UK.

chewkw
    Free Member

He is just another old man to me but if he wishes to have a debate with me he is most welcome. 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

I was born a catholic, went to catholic primary school, had a pretty rough time of it there, probably experienced what might now be called 'abuse', though none of it was sexual I did end up in therapy because of it (I'm making a serious point here peeps) but even I find the tone of some of you to be just way out of line and plain ignorant.

I lapsed a long time ago. Consider myself to be borderline atheist or at least a rationalist/pragmatist. If you don't like the catholic church then I don't have a problem with that. I don't have a problem with people expressing disgust with what has happened. But way too many of you just take it that little step further and turn it into prejudice. It's not appeared in this thread yet, but I've seen it in others.

Think about what you write before write it and have some respect even if you don't agree with their doctrine.

scuttler

Oldskool

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

By we I mean the nation/government, allowing someone who knowingly harbored and allowed a sex offender to continue on their way, as shown in the link above into the UK.

It is not clear from that article,that the Pope knew about that particular priest's crimes, at that time.

Mgr Gruber said that the Pope, who was made a cardinal in 1977, had not been not aware of his decision because there were 1,000 priests in the diocese at the time and he had left many decisions to lower-level officials.

An American group, Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests, said it “boggles the mind to hear a German Catholic official claim that a credibly accused paedophile priest was reassigned to parish work without the knowledge of his boss, then-Archbishop Joseph Ratzinger”

I'm not, for one moment, condoning the actions of the Vatican towards this issue. I think it's disgusting the way all these cases have been handled. I don't think the former member of the Hitler Youth has done himself any favours at all. I would imagine many Catholics are very angry and disillusioned by this whole sorry affair.

What people can do, as members of a free and democratic nation, is exercise their right to protest against this visit, the actions of the Vatican and the rank hypocrisy displayed by the Catholic church's leaders. We as citizens have the right to voice our opinions if we so chose.

But bear in mind several million British Catholics are entitled to theirs, just as equally.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I knew there was a reason why Paypal is so useless! 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So anyone going to show their support for a man,

who doesnt like gay people,

He's here to beatify Cardinal Newman who is generally believed to have been gay.

birth control, women,

not much evidence he doesn't like women, but happy to let it pass

and denies sexual abuse of children in the catholic church.

no he doesn't

Filthy
    Free Member

Think about what you write before write it and have some respect even if you don't agree with their doctrine.

errr ok

best not say anything then but I'm really hoping there is a hell and the pope ends up there getting sodomised by a rhino whilst being made to listen to the tim minchin song on repeat for all eternity.

There really is no place in this world for people who protect peadophiles from prosecution, and thats just the tip of a very big iceberg.

oops I said something didn't I… really sorry if I've offended any catholics I'm sure your not all nazi peados

That Minchin song is brilliant btw

geetee1972
    Free Member

You see Filthy it's the point at which you suggest that being catholic is in some way correlated with being a peadophille that you cross the line.

If I suggested completely baselessly that you were also paedo then you'd be pretty upset I imagine.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member

Because a child has more chance of being abused by a family member than by a catholic priest.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Wonder if he can do anything about the congregation of the catholic church opposite my house who keep blocking my drive

Miserable sods anyway, they didn't join in the Oliver Cromwell celebrations we had a couple of years back and he lived in this town

bawbag
    Free Member

I'm printing out posters tomorrow and will be showing my disapproval just after he arrives in Edinburgh.

If he was here on a regular visit and not using taxpayer money then I wouldn't have a problem with it, more mild amusement. The fact that it is classified as a visit from a head of state when that state only exists for tax purposes that really bugs me. Otherwise people can bow down to whatever imaginary being they like.

Filthy
    Free Member

You see Filthy it's the point at which you suggest that being catholic is in some way correlated with being a peadophille that you cross the line.

actually I said I'm sure your NOT all nazi paedos

I do have a few catholic friends, ok it's probably a decreasing number but I certainly treat them as individuals, I certainly wouldn't catagorise them all as paedos… not even all the priests

my eldest even goes to a catholic school, although I do let her have the day off when it's mass

iDave
    Free Member

i used to have a lovely pope teaspoon from Rome airports tack-emporium

Hadge
    Free Member

There was a post on another forum saying what music should be played to him when he arrives. Some of the answers were brilliant – then the thread got stopped. I never got to say "Don't let your son go down on me" I was gutted!
    By the way I'm a Catholic, non practicing now but I think the churches blind ignorance and blatant cover-up of these abuse cases is beyond dispicable and the guilty ones should be flogged!

carbon337
    Free Member

[/quote]my eldest even goes to a catholic school, although I do let her have the day off when it's mass

Which I pressume is primarliy funded by the church as most of them are….So your happy for your childs education to be funded by this organisation however you harbour such strong views of distain towards them?

Cougar

it's the point at which you suggest that being catholic is in some way correlated with being a peadophille that you cross the line.

Being catholic doesn't mean you're a paedo.

It just means you've got a tendancy to lie about it if you know someone who is.

skiboy
    Free Member

I will be too busy protecting my children from the pedo to protest 😉

druidh
    Free Member

You're going to protest about an organisation linked to child abuse but are happy to let a war criminal go scot-free because he was our Prime Minister at the time?

Flaperon

my eldest even goes to a catholic school, although I do let her have the day off when it's mass

Which I pressume is primarliy funded by the church as most of them are….So your happy for your childs education to be funded by this organisation however you harbour such strong views of distain towards them?

Wouldn't bother me, I believe my parents did some quite significant lying to get me into a Catholic primary school, and I'd do the same for my kids if needed.

duckman

While I like the idea of the former Pope (Polish Partizan) fighting the current one (ex-Hitler Youth) Alas,every boy over the age of 14 HAD to join the HL by law.Scouts BB etc were banned,reluctant children and parents were "re-educated" Attempts at active resistance,eg Edelwiess Pirates…Google image the pirates.So under those circumstances,the HL story is actually rather sad.Mind you;even if he was a willing participant it would not be as bad as the deal the Vatican made with the Nazis,to look the other way while the Nazis got rid of the opposition (Jews,Communists,Gay men and Lesbians)which nobody seems to mention instead of the far more harmless membership of the HL.

While have sympathy for the huge amount of hassle it will cause other people,I think he should be allowed to visit his flock in the UK.He makes a lot of people happy,and they should be allowed that,we are not the state he grew up in.Mind,I wonder if he will say sorry on behalf of Uncle Klaus,who visited Coventry at night,by plane, 60 years ago? 😆

Was Dawkins not going to try and arrest him at whatever airport he flew into?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 296 total)

The topic ‘Papal visit of Pope on Thursday, anyone going………….to protest’ is closed to new replies.